main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WizKids Announces Star Wars PocketModel Game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by RedneckJedi, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
  2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Actually a very interesting piece of news. The game is being called a "trading card game". So does that mean that WOTC has officially waved the rights to making card games?

If so, have Topps/WizKids considered contacting Decipher about a licence deal to get the old game going again? ...I'm telling ya, it would be very lucrative to anyone who does I would think... Still A LOT of Star Wars CCGers out here...

3. SirNot

SirNot Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Well, I just got my hands on the C4 collectors tin for this game, and all I can say is.... WOW. Nice collation, good value (you get 2 styrene sheets with 1-4 ships each in each booster- 1 common (black) and one uncommon or rare (silver or gold) plus 6 cards- 3 common, 2 uncommon and 1 rare (some of the rares being foil cards). In 5 boosters, I pulled 3 rare ships, 2 good uncommon ships and 2 foil rares. And gameplay is simple, but elegant.

I'll definitely be sticking with this one...

Tony

4. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    Picked up the free promo, a couple of boosters and the Imperial power pack this past weekend. Played in a little mini-tournament too. Its a fun game. Figure I'll teach my 9 y/o how to play & we can can have all sorts of fun that way too.

5. Darth_Smee

Darth_Smee Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2007
    How were the rare cards in the Imperial power up distributed, do you get one of each or three of the same one, or is it random? Just wondering to see if I have to go looking for the ones I am missing.

6. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I'm trying to remember cause I've already broken stuff up into a new deck. But I'm pretty sure it came with Admiral Piett, Boarding Party, Tractor Beam and Meditation Chamber. I have all of the "S" cards but I am Your Father & No Disintigrations.

If I read correctly, it is a "fixed" deck for the Power-up.

7. Darth_Smee

Jun 19, 2007
    so you got 3 of the Meditation Chamber as well, how are we supposed to get the other 2 'S' Rare cards. Buy more Power-ups till we find them all?

8. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I'll have to check to see how many Meditation Chambers I got. Maybe there will be another power-up pack coming. Speculation at the "tournament" I was at was that there would be a Rebel Power-Up pack (or something similar) to match the Imperial pack. But the official website is pretty useless in this regard.

Of course, maybe the other 2 S cards will be tournament prizes or something. Although the people at the comic shop I was at seem to think tournament prizes will be foil cards.

9. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I did get 3 of the Meditation Chamber & 1 each of the 3 other S cards I listed from the Imperial Power-Up

10. Darth_Smee

Jun 19, 2007
    on the wizkids forums I found that they are Target and Walmart exclusives, not sure on the distribution, some said three of one at one and the other at the other. I heard that Walmart isn't selling till the 30th and I haven't seen it at target, maybe they aren't selling till then either.

11. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    If nothing else these pocket models look pretty sweet when you set up a bunch of fleets staring each other down. I've got to say that the price tag is a little more appealing than Wizard's minis packs. I haven't had a chance to actually play the game yet, there aren't a lot of gamers of any kind in my area, but from what I understand of the rules I'm a little disappointed that the game isn't more strategic when it comes to the actually movement of the shipts, but then I guess that's what the mini's game is for. At the very least I have some cool looking ships to use with the RPG. ;)

12. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    Does anyone know how to get ahold of one of the playing field mats for this game that was used during the game play demos at CIV? I thought it was be a cool item to have to play the game with.

13. Neogeta

Neogeta Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2004
    As far as I'm aware the play mats arnt currently available. Some gaming store's are making there own for themselfs.
    I'd like to think theres going to be some official ones out before the ground expansion.
    I was one of the Demo guys at CE

14. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    Thanks Neogeta.

I was thinking that they (wzkids) would release a mat ... it would make the game more interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.