main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU Communications

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Morgaine, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    "I have a question for all of you: What do you think about the polls? Do you want to keep them, or should I disable them?"

I'm of the mind to keep them. :) As the welcome board is a place to learn, I'd rather have people make a few mistakes with polls here than out in the "regular" JC where people aren't always as...polite to new users who make mistakes. :)

I think it would be great for WNU board to have its own banner. :D [face_love] I'd make one except I have no banner making skills whatsoever. [face_blush] :)

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I'd make one except I have no banner making skills whatsoever.

Don't feel bad, nor do I 8-} .

3. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Alright, now I am starting to support turning off polls. For a little while at least. There are just too many on the front page, people are making them just for the sake of making one. It's a little tiresome. :(

4. A-Spill-Of-Moonlight

A-Spill-Of-Moonlight Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2003
    WooHoo! About the banner that is! Yippee! :) Thanks for looking into it Morgaine!

As for the polls: I support the fact that the WNU forum should be a "testing" ground for our newbies, but the number of polls has recently just gotten way out of control. Like Gay-Len mentioned, the entire first page is nearly filled with them (well 7 of them anyways.) Some of them seem appropriate for this forum and others...well they are just confusing and don't seem to be appropriate for WNU. I don't believe that polls should be taken away completely but I think we need to check up on the current ones out there and make sure that they are relevant to the WNU forum. We don't need to confuse our newbies any more than they already are when they come to our strange Boards world! ;)

Thanks!

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "There are just too many on the front page, people are making them just for the sake of making one. It's a little tiresome."

It's the truth. I've never understood why people don't just start a thread on whatever topic their poll is. It's all the same and it allows for better discussion.

Amazing.

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    You guys are nicer here,than they would be at the regular communications. 8-} Stupid admins :mad: Anywho who will select the new members for the AC's sixth term? Do the mods,or the head AC people do it

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The AC members choose. The administration only steps in if we feel it'd be best for someone not to be chosen, but I don't think that's ever happened. And we do give some input during the nomination process, but we have no say in who is chosen.

Amazing.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    okay that's cool

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    I agree that there are too many polls on the first page right now - I'll take a closer look at them later today, and maybe the number will be back to normal tomorrow. ;)

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    ...we need to check up on the current ones out there and make sure that they are relevant to the WNU forum.
    That's my opinion, too. :)

We don't need to confuse our newbies any more than they already are when they come to our strange Boards world!
    That's right! :)

Edit: I guess I am too slow... [face_blush] ;) :p

Good idea, Morgaine! :)

11. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    I made a poll last night, but unlike most of the others on the first page, i asked a serious question, so i don't think i contributed to the poll spamming.

I'd like to bring something up that i think belongs here.

Lately i've noticed that in allot of the 'Hi, i'm new' threads, users post welcomes with over 20 different colors, links, and other Markup Codes in them. I know they don't mean any harm by doing this, but i feel that it's not necessary. I think it just makes the newbie more confused than he already was.

Example: click

This is not an attack on anyone doing this, just an observation.

12. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    Wow, the banner looks great!

13. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    You got that right, the banner is absolutely fablous! :)

14. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Good banner. Thanks Gay-LenKenobi. :)

15. ForbiddenLove

ForbiddenLove Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    The banner is fantastic!! I love it!! Great job! :D

16. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    The banner is really cool as is the whole board scheme - very nice indeed.

Polls: There have been rather a lot lately and quite a few being of the same subject, i.e. username, but it would be a shame to switch the polls off. Mod's discretion I think :)

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The color of "pm 1 New" changed! That's good! :D Better then the last color, IMHO! :)

One question: Where should we talk about the banner? Here or at the banner poll (as long as it isn't locked)? ?[face_plain]

18. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    If you want good discussion, it's always better to start a regular thread. That way you don't have defined parameters.

19. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Generally, I agree with Salty - normal threads are nearly always better for discussion than a poll. :)

In this case, however, we already have a poll about the banner, and it would be redundant to start another thread about it. ;)

But to answer your question, Skiara - Either one is fine by me. :D Both this thread and the old poll are appropriate places to comment on the banner. :)

[b]GabeC[/b] - I sorry I didn't reply to you earlier, I'm sure I typed up a response. ?:|

Anyway, better late than never. ;)

[blockquote][i]Lately i've noticed that in allot of the 'Hi, i'm new' threads, users post welcomes with over 20 different colors, links, and other Markup Codes in them. I know they don't mean any harm by doing this, but i feel that it's not necessary. I think it just makes the newbie more confused than he already was.[/i][/blockquote]
    I can see you point - but if you look at it from the other side, these colorful posts show what's possible. ;) Some newbies might get curious and try the markup codes themselves when they see them in use. :)

On a somewhat related note, I found this while pruning some old threads: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10344448]Oldbies Suggestions[/link].
    As you might remember, it took place during a time when I was barely online, and I never really replied to the points of discussion. If there's still interest, we can revive the discussion now. :)

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks Morgaine! :)

Partially I have to agree with GabeC! :)
    In some posts are definitly too many colors. IMHO it confuses the reader!
    The use of colors are really ok to show the possiblities, but sometimes less is more! ;) :)

We had a discussion about the replying to the "Hi, I'm new"-Threads some time before...
    I don't know if we really got a solution of the problem, that some oldbies are replying almost exactly the same text to every newbie.
    Guess we have to discuss or remember it! :)

21. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    ...but sometimes less is more!

That's very true. :D
    I like markup codes a lot - if they are used in moderation. :) Sometimes all the colors and stuff distract from the content of the messages.

I don't know if we really got a solution of the problem, that some oldbies are replying almost exactly the same text to every newbie.

I think we didn't find a solution, that's why I brought it up again. ;)
    But I have to admit that I don't remember much of that thread [face_blush], so I might be wrong. :)

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I guess we stopped at the suggestion to controll each other...

Don't know [face_blush]... anyone? :)

23. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    I use the colors as a fun way to welcome, in my regular posts I type as this. As Morganie said its an intersting way to show the Newbies posting here whats avaliable :) as far as mark-up codes.

24. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Okay, as stated by the title of this thread, there have been a couple of new ideas presented by myself and discussed between both me and Morgaine ;) .

These include as follows: (<--- arrow marks what we are discussing first)

-New Adoptions Advisory team <----
    -New Co-Coordinator elected <----
    -A possible Adoptions Forum, like what the Lightsiders have on EZ-Boards. :D

So let the discussion begin! :D

25. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    I?m under the impression that the Co-Coordinator was already chosen. Yet you make it sound like there has yet to be an election ? It would be wise to say so, and who.

Concerning the advisory team ? which I believe I?m apart of ? is a pretty good idea, but yet again, I?m not sure who exactly it is. It would be nice if it were announced.

It?s good ideas, and all. I just hope the right people were chosen, or are going to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.