WNU Communications

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Morgaine, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Skiara
  1. padawanskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedi_Humaira and everyobody else.We are currently discussing those things in our forum.I will bring them up.
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Adopters Questionaire, Needed?

Well, I have to disagree with some kind of "background check" per say. There's never going to be a guarantee that a n00b isn't going to go out and start posting inappropriately themselves. If you look at the people that want to be adopted, I think it's fair to say that most of them are here because they want to have a good time - not to cause trouble. In addition, people who put themselves on the list to adopt a n00b, generally aren't going to waste time in adopting someone to "corrupt" - they'll just do it on the boards. People who register here to cause trouble won't bother trying to be adopted, they'll just go out and start trolling/flaming, etc. on their own.

Another point - I wasn't on the official adoption list, but when JediMom registered, I went ahead and PM'd her to adopt her. She is about my age and I felt I was the most appropriate person to "mentor" her in the ways of the boards. If I would have had to go through some kind of background check (however you'd do that), I probably would have just PM'd her and offered to show her the ropes rather than posting anything in the adoption thread.

Putting too many restrictions around a process that should be fun will only serve to deter people from participating.

There are a couple of major issues as I see them in relation to the "adoption program":

1. Currently, there are 86 people on the list to adopt newbies. Of that list, I see about 10 names that I recognize posting in WNU's on a regular basis. If someone wants to be an adopter, they should be posting in here regularly - not just putting their name on a list where they wait for someone to contact them. Dump the current list and let those who really want to adopt a newbie, PM Stridarious to "reactive" themselves. I know if I was new, I wouldn't want to look through 86 names to find someone to adopt me.

2. Adoptees need to be expected to participate in this process as well. Looking at the list of newbies waiting to be adopted, almost half of them have been on the boards 3 months. If a newbie hasn't been adopted within 30 days - and they haven't PM'd anyone to ask about it - take them off the list.

3. Clean up your "current adopter/adoptee" pairs list. After 3 months, pairs should be pruned to make way for new adopter/adoptee pairs.

4. Adopters should be on the boards at least 6 months before they adopt a newbie.

Adoptive Requirements Increased?

Why? The only requirement of them should be that they take the initiative to check out a potential adopter and PM them.

I don't see any need for a WNU "team" per say other than one or two people coordinating the adoptions.

Again, the more restrictions you put on this process, the more people will avoid it and make up their own ways to meet people here. The speed of the boards is such that if someone's not adopted in 30 days, they most likely will figure out this place on their own. Keep it simple.
  3. padawanskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think she was talking about the fact of newbies spamming to get the posts.But rather newly released ones,ought to be the hit
  4. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    All gret points, however, I think we need you to post them within the Team "WNU" forum. ;)
  5. Eon-Wan-Mome_NT Jedi Knight

star 3
    All gret points, however, I think we need you to post them within the Team "WNU" forum

So.. is the Team WNU forum replacing this thread?
  6. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ok ... I haven't really been keeping track of this thread and the adoption one, and I don't have time to read back, so this might seem silly.

What's this 'Team WNU' thing?

And I agree with Katya_Jade about the list cleanup thing. It's too long, and I think some of the adoptees listed are now qualified to adopt themselves. At least, it was like that the last time I checked it ...
  7. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    What's this 'Team WNU' thing?

Its Our Private Forum Where we Discuss Important WNU Things.

We Even have Our own Pillowfight Thread :D
  8. Morgaine Ex-Manager

star 6
    Benji, where are your priorities! We're not there to play with pillows! :p ;)

Xan - in short, a group of about 15 WNU regulars have formed a committee that we call "Team WNU" for now (discussion about an official name is still going on). It's supposed to work similar to the Advisory Council, a group of people who discuss ideas to improve both the Adoptions program and the Welcome forum in general.

In order not to clutter up WNU with our discussions, a small off-site board was started.

The team will post an official thread to introduce themselves soon, and updates on the discussion - similar to the ModSquad Updates - should be posted regularly as well. :)
  9. Jezebel_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry everyone that I'm a little late posting :p

I didn't realize I was on the list until a few days ago, but I'll posting on the new site soon and trying to contribute as much as I can. :)
  10. Jedi_Allegra Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok Strid I am here now!

*takes a seat* *listens to what everyone is talking about*
  11. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Morgaine: Ah, okay. Thanks for telling. :D
  12. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, I'm back!! 8-} After a long time And as so I have a few things I would like to add.

As Morgaine had said we're a group of 15 like the Advisory Council herein this IGN discussion board. ;)

However, we should be posting soon enough our introductions and also our first update. To inform you of our progress therein.

Once those updates are posted we want to hear from YOU the WNU poster, as to your thoughts to these topics, as a Mod Squad update would be presented. :D

Everyone is asked to comment, even those visiting JC mods. ;)
  13. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    for those not firmiler with modsquad updates, they are at the communications forum. here is one of them. :)
  14. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Great work Jedi-Washington thats helpful to enable those whom do not know of this idea how we work. ;)

Also, as a note discussion on the Update is still being decided. And you should expect a thread announcement soon. ;)
  15. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooo I Dibs First Update :D

I Got Lotsa Good Ideas :D :D
  16. padawanskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll have to agree with padawanskywalker I think we need to discuss it as a group more within the forum. ;)

And by the look of things, everyone wishes to post it! 8-}
  18. PizzaForOne Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Mod squad? hmmmm, sounds like a show I used to watch a very long time ago.
  19. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Not so much a ModSquad but an Advisory Council for the Welcome New Users forum. ;)
  20. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I see.

*shrug*

It's your time, do what you will with it ...
  21. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thanks! :D

*goes and plays air hockey* 8-}
  22. padawanskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I have brought this up in the Team-WNU forums.Does WNU need a new banner?
  23. Morgaine Ex-Manager

star 6
    I don't know... personally, I still like this one.

It's been up for only what, six months? Less than that, I believe. And for most of the people who come here it is a new banner anyway. ;)
  24. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    most of the people who come here it is a new banner anyway.

Heh, how true...

Well, though Im getting a little tired of it, I dont think it needs to change. We can go with it until 2004 probably, or atleast until christmas. I dont suggest starting up any huge banner compititions in Comm's right now, 'cause the holidays are coming and they can be working on other banners...but majority rules I guess...mabey we should open a poll on this or something...
  25. padawanskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh well.It was just a thought. ;)
Moderators: Skiara
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.