main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU - Feedback, Suggestions, Thoughts... Reasons to stay: What do you miss? What shall we add?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 3, 2008.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    At the moment there are some things happening in WNU like the creation of WNU icons and the tournament. Since I enjoy seeing WNU stepping forward, I love to see more 'new' things. But this is also your board and so I like to get your feedback on certain things and give you a place to speak about your ideas. That's why I created this thread.

So, this thread is for posting your opinion, your thoughts and suggestions. It's for discussing these ideas and for me to get a common feedback. Of course, if you don't want to post here, you're free to send me a PM instead.

Just another note: If this thread doesn't work like I hope it will, then I might close it at one point. And of course, this thread doesn't mean that I won't do things on my own anymore. ;)

Latest Announcement:

Official Statement from MS:

When the subject of the cultures of the various forums come up, remember this is not an us vs. them environment. We are all one big group of boards. Discuss the forums and their respective topics, and stay away from generalizations that target a particular forum in a negative fashion. If your comment is potentially insulting to a user or a group of users, or an entire forum, just don't post it. It could lead us into waters that are better left unsailed.

Treat the users in your fellow forums with respect, even if you disagree vehemently with them. If something would be edited as a flame were it directed at a single user, it will not be allowed when directed at a forum or a group of users. There is a line between discussing the state of things in a constructive manner and just trying to be insulting to a forum or group with that opinion. Know the difference and act accordingly. This has been discussed and agreed upon by the MS as a whole.

This is also posted in Comms. I ask you to remember this when you want to write something about other boards. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Please, see latest posts for current topic! You're welcome to join the discussion. Thanks! :)

2. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    My first question is... What is your opinion about the tournament? Do you enjoy it so far?

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    No one? :(

I won't bite you, if you say that you dislike it. Positive and negative feedback helps to make or keep it a nice funny place. :)

I really hope you're not afraid to post or to pm your point of views and thoughts. :)

4. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    //burps up positive feedback

I enjoy the tournament... I keep up with it since I really want to see which one wins out over the others. I can't necessarily keep up with the number of competing phrases, so maybe a brief update on the whole picture would be nice before a new round emerges. So, you'd say, "We've got two more rounds before we start the semi-finals."

Otherwise, I think I've voted in every round, so you gotta know I like it. :)

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    *hopes that Mister cleans the positive feedback like my keys* [face_praying]

So you mean that I should update the first page of the thread after every completed round, so you know where we are and what is ahead of us?

Right now we have too many rounds before any kind of finals, so I can't post anything like that soon, but I try to remember (and I wanted to do that as well). :)

Thanks, Trika. :)

6. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Nah, just do it when you post the new round. At the top of the post, just let us know how many more we have to go or whatnot. :)

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Mhm, maybe I do both. ;) Oh, and if I forgot it the next time, just burp up something again, ok? ;)

8. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I think it's been great fun. Lately I've missed several rounds but I'll try harder to participate.:D

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You know WNU is for welcoming new members, for answering questions, for giving a good start, but it's also for giving a place to learn without being afraid of doing something wrong.

The option of creating new threads and polls was missed for a long time. That's why I decided to close some threads (so WNU don't get cluttered up with too many social threads) and to give room for new threads and new polls.

Especially new members are welcome to use this option and experience the creating of a thread and/or poll.

When a new thread or poll is openened, I plan to let it stay open for two to four weeks - depending on the traffic and how many user want to open a thread or poll. Then I'll close that one again and the next user can open a thread or poll.

Adopters and Masters, if you want, feel free to add this as an optional task for the training program of adoptions.

For some coordination, I ask everyone to post here (then we can discuss the idea) or to PM me and waiting for my approval. Thanks. :)

-If you want to see your thread staying for a long time, then you're welcome to PM me and I suggest you a place for it. :) -

Thanks to Trika, who discussed and created this change with me. :)

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I would liek to have the Random thought thread reopened.[face_batting]
    I like random.
    I AM random.8-}

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I know, MsRandom. ;) But not now, maybe in the future. First I like to see other threads, which will be fun for sure as well. :)

12. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, I did warn you. So no banning if I suddenly go random in a thread.:p

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    As I said I might have a place for your randomness. Pm me! Oh, wait... that's what you're doing anyway. :p

*waits for ideas, suggestions of new members* :)

14. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    The whole idea behind discussing doing a new thread every couple of weeks is that it really would be random (and dare I say, more random!), Lanna. It would be themed appropriately for a short while and then switched out, continuing the tradition of the Random Thought Thread. [face_mischief]

15. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
  16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
  17. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Yay!

*wanders off to stare at walls*

18. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    So here's what you do (idea courtesy of sixteen ounces of coffee this evening):

1. Take volunteers to create a new random thread. Topics can be as random as you want. The winner should post his thread in the following manner, as an example:

[RANDOM THREAD #1] I just accidentally stabbed myself in the ear with a hair pin.

2. The thread stays open for a set time limit, and the conversation starts with the stabbing, goes on to hair pins, maybe hair styles, and then maybe shampoo and then the time that your little brother spilled shampoo all over the living room. Whatever the random course of the conversation, at the end of the time limit, the thread gets closed and another user steps up to create a thread in the same manner. Maybe it could be that after a thread hits three hundred posts or something, the very next person starts the new thread immediately... if you miss it, you get bonked on the head or something equally punishing.

Maybe this time, the thread would be, as an example:

[RANDOM THREAD #2] I think I'm allergic to potatoes.

3. And the conversations go on. After five threads, have the threads go head-to-head so users can vote on the most random start-to-finish. If the first thread started with hair pins and ended with fish frying, and the second starting with potatoes and ended with British television sitcoms, users may decide the first thread wound up being more random. They're the informal winner and get bragging rights for inspiring the random. Now, what if the second thread had a mention of fruit bats and runaway go-carts? Maybe the second one was more memorable and would win.

That's what I've got, just randomly inspired. And no, I've not recently stabbed myself and am not allergic to potatoes. I think this would keep the spirit of the random thread while keeping things for the threads and conversations fresh.

19. DarkPowerUnlimited

DarkPowerUnlimited Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2008
    JUST RE-OPEN THE RANDOM THOUGHT THREAD! We WNUbies need a place to be random... or we'll explode. and you wouldn't want to see that. EEEEWWWW! There some things that ductape can't fix. :_| I'll be random here. and i'll convince others to be random here. *Runs off to tourture unsuspecting souls with pms*
    RT: I have homework tomorow.

20. Oddball_62

Oddball_62 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    Wow, I didn't know my little thread had such an impact on people...[face_hypnotized] But I agree with Skiara, maybe we could try something different for now. I like Trika's idea. :)

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks, Odd! :)

So, where are the ideas? Where are the new members who wanna test their thread or poll? Masters and Adopters, please, let your padawans know about this new option in WNU. :)

22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Trika, your idea reminds me of the YJCC.

23. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Awesomely rude, crude, socially unacceptable and awesome?

24. Featherpaw

Featherpaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2008
    RT: DPU is right, as always.
    RT2: I have two froglets!
    Sotes, bring back the RT thread or the PPA will *goes to check Guardians of Ga'Hoole book to make sure I get the term right* form a slink melf.[face_MUAHAHAHA] And no, I ish not telling what that means. Double MUAHAHAHA! [face_laugh]
    Seriously, the random thought thread was really fun. I miss it. And since you've closed the thread, it is a lost opportunity to increase post count. And since people have to have a certain amount of posts to train a paddy, you will be depriving yourself of a vital source of prey! :p
    Oh, and we need a toast smiley, a MUAHAHAHA smiley, and a snowflake smiley. I know that's not exactly WNU, but I don't know where else to put it. I would've put it on the RT thread. *nudge,nudge**wink,wink*

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The random thought thread was not for increasing post-counts. There are many places to get posts and so experience. So this argument doesn't work. ;)

And as I said in the WNP, the ones who want to know a solution/suggestion are welcome to pm me. :)

So the RT thread stays closed and give new members who want to test their thread or poll ideas some room. :)