main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU - Feedback, Suggestions, Thoughts... Reasons to stay: What do you miss? What shall we add?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 3, 2008.

1. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I am fine with how it is, and think there should not be more scial threads than there are , as well not too many spam threads. after all poll and games threads you get out in the far world of census and games, and if people have lived in here pretty well they can be courageous enough to explore the ffar worlds of the JCC.

2. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    ....and Smurfy. [face_worried]

I think, though, it's fine the way it is. After all, it should just be a bigger motivation for us to make a new banner. ;)

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Sure, Lolly, I just wanted to up it for about 24 hours. ;) :)

4. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    w00t? I can see again!:D

skiara, please remember to ban me any time you put up that banner. I value my eyesight.:p

5. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    //fondly recalls the initial complaints against the stylesheet colors on this banner

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    ^*g*

Lanna, shall I ban Etain or MsLanna? O:)

Question / Suggestions needed:

Some of you might have noticed that I try to keep all threads small, because it's easier to jump in a small or recently started thread than a big one.

That's why I always keep an eye on the size of the threads and start working on re-starting them, if they get over 5,000, so they won't hit the 10,000 mark. Yep, I know, one of them hit that mark already. ;)

Now there are three threads that are over 5,000 posts: Teh Mole, Pillow Fight and Getting to Know You.

Gangrenous, creator and host of Teh Mole, has already announced that he'll do a new thread after the current game and I'm glad he'll do it.

So only Pillow Fight and Getting to Know You needs to be re-started.

I've asked the creators, Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof and Trika, first. Aalthough they feel being honored, both of them would prefer someone else opening those threads. Trika also offered help in doing pics, if it's needed.

After their answers, I thought about who should open these two threads. There are some (if not all of you) I would like to open these threads, but there are just two of them. So I thought, I ask you directly.

Who do you want to open Pillow Fight and who do you want to open Getting to Know You?

Please, send me a PM with your suggestions and -if possible- reasons. Maybe there's a WNUbie you want to thank him/her for something special and so giving your vote to him/her. Maybe you just think it's fair, if a certain user does it. Maybe you want to open one of them yourself, because the thread is your life. Maybe you want a real new member opening on of them. Or maybe it's a completely different reason. Let me know.

When the threads get re-started, it should contain a link to the old version and naming the original creator of course.

I'll collect all PMs/votes which are sent in until the 21rst of February. I'll consider all reasons and amounts of votes for the choice. Of course, the person will be asked first before I post the result.

I hope this is a fair way to find good persons to re-start our beloved threads and I hope you'll have some fun with this. :)

7. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    I want to open Pillow Fight! ;)

Okay, okay...I'll behave now.

I really did have a honest to goodness comment to put here: I've been gone from the boards for almost 2 years and I have to say that you all have done an amazing job revamping the adoption process. I remember being both the adoptee and adopter fondly, but think the new training process is a wonderful idea. Maybe soon, I can get another newbie (it would be my fourth if you are counting Sock and other "real" handle!)

Anyways...keep up the great work!! :D

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the compliment, SockOfTheNight. [:D]

I'm happy to say that all WNUbies work together, help each other and participating in the adoption program. It's really great! Without this good teamwork, WNU wouldn't be what it is now! :)

It would be great, if you join the adoption program again - as soon as you feel comfortable with the boards again. :)

Speaking of working together...

Is there really no one who wants to open those threads or who wants to see a certain person to open it? :eek:

Since Pillow Fight and Getting to know you is used regularly, I don't think you want it to be closed completely. So who should open these threads next? :)

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I volunteer, but I'm not new.:p
    I could order one of my padawans to do it...[face_mischief]

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It doesn't matter, if you're a newbie, midbie, oldbie or Trika. ;) :p

*writes down suggestions*

11. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    LOL. Clearly, "Trika" is just a whole other level of awesome.

12. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    [face_batting] Could we open the pillow fight by throwing anvils?

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    How you re-open it, is completely up to you - as far as it doesn't end in a anvils throwing thread. :p

Trikes! [:D]

So, any other suggestions? I plan to do a decision tomorrow (German time). :)

14. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Skiara - I don't frequent the pillow fighting thread much, but it might be nice to leave it open until its 1 year anniversary at the beginning of April. :)

15. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Skiara, If no one has volunteered to reopen the Pillow Fight thread can I do it?[face_batting]

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Decision part 1:

Getting to Know You will be re-opened by Lanna or her padawans/toasts. :D

Decision part 2... will take a bit more time. ;)

Seeker, I like your idea about the one year anniversary. It's not too far away and the thread isn't close to 10k posts.

So the question is who will re-open Pillow Fight in April? :)

Mister and Jag, can you two find an agreement of who of you both opens it? :)

17. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    I vote Lanna and Jag.[face_peace]

18. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    If Jag wants to do it she can. It's not something I am really going to fight for. It's just a thread.

19. KithuraVess

Nov 19, 2008
    H'm....I've been thinking. I really like IRCs ^^ , so I wondered whether we couldn't start an IRC channel for the WNU?
    I'm on a few channels on this server called "Nightstar", and the cool thing about it is you don't need an IRC client before you can log on; you just need some newish version of Java - I forget which one exactly - before you can join the channel, since http://syloq.lomag.net takes you directly to a sign-in portal. :)
    It's pretty easy to create a new channel, too, so I could do that quickly if the idea gets approved of. :D

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    This suggestion was brought up before and sometimes discussed for a long time, but in the end it was denied (only the YJCC has one IIRC).

The reasons are simple:
    1. What can we do on a IRC channel, what we can't do here? We have social threads, where we can chat with each other. It's even possible to reply to a post some hours ago.

2. An IRC channel would be an unmoderated place, so it will be different from posting here.

3. If you all want to chat at a certain time, you can do this here as well.

So, I'm sorry, but I'm not agreeing to your suggestion, Kith, but I really appreciate you posting your thoughts and suggestions here. :)

21. KithuraVess

Nov 19, 2008
    Ah, okay. :)

It wouldn't be exactly unmoderated, as it is quite possible to agree that we would all abide by the forum's ToS, and to appoint a number of channel operators who could kick or ban any people violating them; also, the OPPM rule, and waiting for the pages to load, wouldn't be in the way as they can be here.

This isn't an argument, however: those were just the reasons I wanted to start an IRC channel. :) The decision has been made and I respect that. :D

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    No problem. It's good to exchange opinions. That way new decisions can be made or at least old ones re-made. :)

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Mister and Jag, have you agreed on something about the pillow fight thread? :)

24. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    We haven't even talked about it. She doesn't seem to come in here. Maybe we should have a pillow fight to resolve it. It would be ironic wouldn't it?

25. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    So...are there and Pillow Fights in the making?