main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU - Feedback, Suggestions, Thoughts... Reasons to stay: What do you miss? What shall we add?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 3, 2008.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Less ironic, but funny in my view. :D

Zadann, we are speaking about this thread and that it is supposed to be re-started soon. :)

2. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    I realized that soon after I posted it, but then I got caught up in all the things around here. Sorry for the inconvienance:)

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    No problem. That's no inconvienance. :)

4. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    Awesome then.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    So there's absolutely no possiblity of re-opening Teh Mole in the C&G forum?

6. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I will miss Teh Mole. But if it is its time to go then so be it.

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Not really, QGR. But if it helps, I'll talk to Gangrenous in a while again and maybe he re-thinks his decision. :)

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Well, it is his decision. But I'll miss it. It was one of my favorite games. :( And so successful.

But I do see the reasons behind closing it, and it was a good decision. :)

9. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I just saw that the Teh Mole Game's been closed.

Personally, I don't think that was a very good idea to tell you the truth.
    WNU has been slow as it is and if you keep closing threads (Teh Mole, Random Thoughts Thread), I'm guessing there will be even less traffic.

The reason as to why the game was closed doesn't make sense to me at all.
    I'm just going to say it outright: I think it's silly.

The Mole game was fun. Why take away something that was fun?
    WNU is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

As said, I personally don't think it was a good idea.

:(

He changed his mind, I'm guessing?

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    The reason behind the termination of Teh Mole is valid, but I think locking it is a bit on the extreme side. Maybe someone should do some sort of write-up on VIPs and mods that easily accessible in the WNU forum? I know there's one in Communications, but, as much as they're supposed to be getting themselves acquained with the JCF, believe me, Communications is one of the last places in the world that a newbie goes.

Perhaps, lately at least, more oldbies and midbies have been playing Teh Mole than newbies, but maybe we can try and push the game a bit more, and encourage new posters to try it. I know it seems like an easy game because we've played it before and know how it works, but to a newbie, it can appear extremely confusing. Maybe if we were to link newbies to the game more often and gently encourage them to play, we'd get more new players and decrease the amount of confusion.

11. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    If it wasn't time for me to head to bed, I might post something about the closing of the "Teh-Mole" game. How did things progress from opening a new thread to closing it down permanently? Is it really that big of a deal to keep something open that a dozen JCers at a time play, sometimes even more?

No matter. Again, I'd post more if I wasn't so tired. But seriously, talking with DG was a good start, but which mods discussed this with you? There have been a smattering of mods over months that have posted once, twice on the board. Do they really have a feel for what goes on here? Why were they consulted instead of the forum regulars... the best insight into how things run on a board? Personally, this is a pet peeve of mine from MS. I've always said that hitting the regulars first, getting the "pulse" of the board, is most important. No one can assume what things are like on another board unless someone's there rather frequently.

So, DG was overruled because of what I analyze to be two things... first, you've narrowed WNU's purpose down to little more than a help desk, not an actual forum, and second, his username color is red. And other mods agreed based on whatever they thought, sitting in their own forum and looking in. Even with the protests and confusion in the thread, with DG's reasons, the decision was still made to close it permanently?

I now see Ceillean beat me to the punchline. I would say it's silly, too, but I'll go further and say I actually think it's wrong. Not just the wrong decision, but wrong to go about this without weighing the regular user base properly.

P.S. And now I've done stayed up later. Kriff.

12. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    The reason why there weren't many newbies playing the game was the fact that the oldbies and midbies kept signing up so quickly. The game was over -- they signed up.

Personally, I don't think the game was complicated. All you had to do was answer basic questions and usually these questions weren't very hard.

But I think that's beside the point.
    I guess I have this antipathy against locking threads that were always on top of the board and that people ventured to quite frequently.

13. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Personally, I don't think the game was complicated. All you had to do was answer basic questions and usually these questions weren't very hard.

I know, but when you're a newbie, just about everything is hard. You're so busy trying to fit in as fast as possible that the simpliest game may look extremely intimidating. But, you're right, that's besides the point.

I agree with what both of you are saying, but there just needs to be a middle ground.

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I suppose what annoys me the most is the fact that the game has been around for sooo long. And no one said anything about the game being in WNU all this time. What's different now?

15. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    The things that happen when i dare to go on a holiday.:eek:
    Are we campaigning in Comms already?[face_frustrated]

EDIT: Okay, we're not.
    Would I be alone there? [face_worried]

16. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    :_| :_| :_|

I'm sorry everyone, I have failed you. :( I tried to keep it here because all the incarnations of Teh-Mole(that I know of) have always been in the WNU since before I even signed up on the boards. I put up as much of a fight as I could while keeping things within the bounds of the TOS.

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    [:D] DG.

I get the feeling they want to close down this place and chuck us out in pieces.
    And it's working, I'm ready to go.

Nothing about you skiara.[:D] Really, I'm just generally about to explode and this is such a ridiculous last straw.:mad:

18. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Thanks for the hug, Lanna. [:D] I really need it between this and my back really hurting tonight. :(

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I see that some of you are really frustrated and sad because of this decision. :(

So I would like to ask you for summing up the reasons why Teh Mole should stay and who of you want it to stay.

I'll discuss it again and will take another look. Maybe we'll find a solution! :)

20. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I've only got one reason it should stay. The others will fill in the rest nicely, I'm assuming.

Teh-Mole should stay open because it was closed without any discussion, a mere command decision based on shaky reasons that have no basis on keeping a thriving thread open that users enjoy.

What people don't understand is that WNU is a culture all its own. It's not merely a help desk. Looking at the demographics, the real people who post here and not the "idea" of what everyone seems to think WNU is... it's what was affectionately dubbed "JCC Lite." Some people still don't get that, and that's why stuff flares up in Comms about closing this place down every once in a while. It's because people don't get it.

I still want to know what mods were involved in this covert decision... the ones who bolstered or condoned your command decision to close it down. They'll be along shortly, I'm sure, to clear things up, since they have the pulse of the board and know everyone here?

LOL. You certainly wouldn't be alone.

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    That's what I am afraid of, Trikes.
    Playing happy punching ball for everybody else was not what I had in mind though.;)

Another reason to keep it open:

We are the board that is supposed to introduce new users to the board culture. Games are a big part of board culutre if I get that right. Can we expect new and/or shy users to jump right into them?
    I say no.
    We have a place to learn RPG now, let Teh Mole game be a place to learn games.

Echoing Trika, I too would like to know who got the idea to shut the game down permanently. A regular here? I doubt it.

22. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Literally. :p

I know what you mean. Generally speaking, the boards are becoming increasingly annoying. For me at least.
    And nothing about you, Skiara! [:D] It's just general irritation from everywhere at once.

And I too would like to know who made the final decision of shutting Teh Mole down.

What I find odd as well -- great, we have an RPG thread. How many users venture there?
    It's not a very interesting thread and yet it gets to stay open whereas Teh Mole, a fun place to hang out and have a whole bunch of laughs, gets shut down for no real reason at all.

Mel, you wouldn't be alone in Comms, believe me. ;)

23. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    *marches off to Comms*

And don't you leave me hanging there. I'll bring my whole stack of politeness and all.[face_batting]

24. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    First off, DG - thank you so much for hosting the game for so long, and doing so well. [:D]

*sigh*

Now what to say... I do agree that closing down this thread is a bad idea, for many of the reasons stated above, and it really saddens me that it came without warning.

Just because this board isn't a game board doesn't mean it shouldn't have a game. Plenty of the boards have games outside of C&G, whether they're for colors or not because they provide a good mingling opportunity. Teh-Mole especially allowed new users to interact with other users in a more laid-back manner than in a social thread, and also more than the larger games in C&G.

And not having the game because there are too many VIPs is a bit silly. DG was the only VIP originating from WNU. A board can't have a single VIP running a game?

25. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    The others above have made very valid points on showing why the Teh-Mole game should stay. But I've decided to throw in my 2-cents worth.

First of all, that WNU banner up there still says "Teh-Mole" on the far right. If you ask me, that just shows how big of a role that thread played in this board. Here though, is my main point. The WNU board is not just about introduction, but it's also about learning, righto? This board is already the most newbie friendly in the entire site. When I joined up I loved this board and I still do. Well, to me, playing the Teh-Mole game was the experience I needed to venture out into boards that seemed foreign to me. I can understand the point that you or someone else made about not a lot of newbies getting to play since the oldbies and midbies (I'm not sure if those are the proper terms) sign up so quickly. So, how about limiting the number of older members. Maybe like, 8 older members and 6 newbies? Just an idea. Or maybe the game can be changed in small ways to make it more newbie freindly? All I know is that I don't agree with locking the game.