main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Woah...talk about a storm!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey...damn, that storm this morning was ****ed!
    The tornado part of it his my house, again, and my street is utterly ****ed!
    I've got some crazy footage of the destruction that I'll try and post when the power is back on. It's 8pm and I'm running my laptop off a generator :)

Anyone else get hit?
    There's destroyed houses and crap everywhere...Bicton primary, around the corner, half of it is gone.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    what amazes me, and I mentioned that to you just a minute ago, is that you live only a few minutes from me and we haven't had any problems at all. Electricity is running on problem and there's no damage at all. It's bloody crazy really :p

3. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I got woken up by the wind, and something decided it would have fun turning my touch-lamp on and off again. And when I went to shut the window I got rained on, which was pretty amazing considering it had to come under the balcony upstairs. Soup had to close up the lounge because he was getting rained on as well.

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The damage around me is just insane.
    Litteraly looks like a bomb went off.

5. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I've been watching all the news stories about it because of the fact that it went up in the hills and my parents live there (yeah, I know... If I'm worried I should pick up a phone.. But really, who does that?!) and man the damage does look like a bomb going off.

I thought the weather bureau dude was a bit of an idiot trying to say that there had been ample warnings of this kind of storm hitting. Is one day really enough time to batten down the hatches?

6. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    well we don't have many like those around here so they probably don't have a well thought out plan for such events.

7. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Exactly! One day is no way near "ample warning" in this kind of situation.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Yeah, the last I can remember of this type of thing was in '99 I think...we got hit then too, ****ing thing stole my motoX bike and dumped in the front yard :(

[irish] ...but twas all in gud fuuun [/irish]

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'm just glad there were no serious injuries.

seriously though, how strange has it been in perth of late. first the burst water pipe on friday, then this. i'm waiting for the volcano in kings park to erupt :p

10. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    There's a volcano in Kings Park and no-one has done a whole Ani/Obi thing yet? :p 8-}

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    It's just lucky it didn't hit 3 hours later when school would be starting. Having seen the damage close up, it would be safe for me to say quiet a few children would have been badly injured, if not killed.

12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    that's a scary thought indeed. thankfully that wasn't the case.

did you guys see what happened in Bunbury with the ABC centre? that was a close call too I hear.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Yeah that lady almost getting splattered...funny stuff when you think about it ;)

14. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Heard thunder, bit of rain and a little wind.

Always see these things on the news about mini tornado's etc and think "are we in the same city?" Those buildings must be pretty old or poorly built to fall apart from what happened yesterday.

Seriously, I heard the reports and closed the windows etc in advance and they didnt even get wet. (overhang from the roof is less than 1m). They must have been some really localized hotspots 'cause I got next to nothing here.

15. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    That's really weird since you're not that far from us. There was heaps of wind and rain coming into our place. And Soup said that a bolt of lightning struck rather close and he felt the ground shake with it.

16. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    man that must have been one scary moment.

I do find it odd how some of us got all this bad weather and others didn't.

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Always see these things on the news about mini tornado's etc and think "are we in the same city?" Those buildings must be pretty old or poorly built to fall apart from what happened yesterday.

Nah that's got nothing to do with it. Tornados are very localised towards what gets damaged and what dosn't.
    and I saw the bloody thing, definately not "mini".
    You should see the destruction first hand...crazy!

EDIT:
    WOW...my edit period lasted for hours!
    Anyhoo, power's back. Got it back at around 3:30ish.
    So glad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.