main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Wolfenstein: The New Order

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DebonaireNerd, May 22, 2014.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just picked this up last night. Installed from four DVDs (yes, ALL four discs are install discs) with a five gig patch on top of that to download once installed. I think it's just over 50 gig. Insanely long to set up, about two hours, almost like setting up an operating system. But the game is sublime. Old school shooter with health packs!

It is a nice looking game though, they've used the IDT5 engine well. I also love the cinematics. The scenes and gameplay blend with each other with perfect fluidity. It just simple drops into a wide screen, almost as though it's just an extension of the gameplay. A lot of shooters lately just seem to make a big deal of the cinematics which take you out of the game because of the shift in tone and overall fee. Far Cry 3 is a good example of this. I love FC3 but a cinematic felt like a pause break. With Wolfenstein, it flows directly from your last move and is informative of what's directly to follow.

Anyone else got a copy?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I've not played it yet but I like Return to Castle Wolfenstein a lot.
    Is it much like that?

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    It's pretty different to Return but in a way that it needs to in order to be interesting in 2014. On the one hand, it's definitely a return to form as far as first person shooters go. Akimbo weapons, large weapon inventory, health packs, armour, guns blazing - it's all there. I even love some of the nods back to the classic game with the bowls of dog food and hidden area behind the painting. As for the narrative and the way it's told, I really like it. As already touched on in this thread, we've had the straight up, cardboard cut-out good and bad guy story. The fact that the protagonist this time around has conflicted feelings about war along with the realisation that there are lasting consequences is fresh for the series and keeps me interested alongside the ironically classic-tinged gameplay. I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.