main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Wolverine Claws

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darph_Nader, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darph_Nader

Darph_Nader Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Is it possible to find Wolverine (X-Men) claws anywhere?

D_N :cool:

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Your best bet is to build your own.
    It is a lot easier to do the gloved hand. That's how the movies were able to get it to work: the claws are part of the glove. Even in the bare-skinned scenes, there's a glove (it is just made up to look like skin & hair).

Good luck.

3. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Actually your wrong bout that one[face_peace] , the claws are more of a griping mechanism, I have pics of the actual props, there was 8 used in the first film, I contacted someone who owns on of those 8 sets, specifically the one used in the wolver/sabertooth fight scene, maybe more...

Funny you posted this topic, I did research on these nearly a month ago..

I got measurements, like the top width, length, ect and a picture I printed out to exact scale, I'm making mine out of fiberglass, I believe the originals were resin?... not sure forgot to ask what material they wree made from, I know that originally they were aluminum but it was to dangerous so they changed them.

4. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Woops misread your question, I'll agree with Koohii on this one, the guy I was talking to bout this had not for sale written all over the site.

5. master-Corran-horn

master-Corran-horn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    I'll agree with Koohii on the movie props. I get this catalog called bud-k knife works (I think). One time they had a set sort of like sal mentioned made out of aluminum for sale. It was three blades coming out of a palm size handle starting with a curve that made the blades look like they came out from inbetween the knuckles. After looking at them I thought if you ever had to use them, you would really hurt your hand[face_beatup] . They've offered lightsabers and other thinngs also and for the last 4 years, every catalog (six a year I think) is marked "This may be your last catalog (if you don't buy something from us)" so get it if you like getting mostly junk mail [face_laugh] lol.

6. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    At Wizard World in Chicago a few years back, some booth had some movie-styled and comic-styled Wolverine claws made from real metal. There was a little handle that you'd hold onto, and each claw was just mounted on a rod coming off the handle. They would bend the rods a little to fit your hands. They were heavy, but they looked amazing.

I'm just curious how they made the resin look like metal. Chrome plating, nickel plating, paint... Rub n' Buff... lol

7. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I'm not positive its resin, but I know they switched it from aluminum cause it was too dangerous.
    I'll look for a pic of the claws when i get home its pretty much how was described, they has bars molded to a black grip that you would fit under your hand. Its kind of hard to describe but they definately did not use a glove.:p

8. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Far as I have read they used a variety of materials after Hugh Jackman scratched his head in the Sabertooth fight...wood, platic, possibily even resin.

It wasn't a shiney set of claws and you'd be surprised what a little paint will to do make soemthing look metal...

9. Darph_Nader

Darph_Nader Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I might buy a couple of those Wolverine look-a-like knives and try to remodel them inside some gloves... but that wouldn't be the safest way to go, so I might try something else. I've seen the version with the claws connected with the bars to a grip before. I'm new to costuming stuff, so I'm not too keen on every possibility.

D_N :cool:

10. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    If you?re planning to make a Wolverine costume for a convention, you?re probably better off going with something other than metal for the claws. With the crowds and the posing for pictures it can be dangerous to be swinging around real metal claws even if they?re not sharp. I know that some conventions don?t allow ANY metal knives, swords, or similar objects unless they are sheathed at all times.

I?m planning on making a wolverine costume too (three variations actually.) The claws are obviously a very important part of the costume. I found a few people on eBay selling aluminum claws but no plastic or resin claws. I guess I?ll just keep looking.

11. BenduShmendu

BenduShmendu Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2005
    My roommate went as wolverine for halloween this year, PM me if you want details.

[image=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/wetawd98/100_0355.jpg]

12. upandatom

upandatom Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Holy crap, it's Vince Vaughn as Wolverine!!

13. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm not 100% sure but I think that the "Elvis Trooper" has a Wolverine costume and his claws are like this, I think they were made of aluminum though. Basically they were made just like VillieGee said. The three claws are attached to a bar that rests in the palm of your hand and the claws come out, curl backwards and rest against the back of your hand below the knuckles to look like they're piercing through the skin.

14. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    ^Yeah thats how they are, I'll upload the picture when I get home^
    As for the material I could try and email the man who owns one of the actual sets and ask, not sure if he would know though...
    He's helped me out with everything else on them though, I have one picture thats to scale for measurements, then he gave me the top measurements like width, if I remember correctly the length is nearly 10 inches

EDIT: I just realized I have an old tv guide and I remember reading it and hugh talked of them originally being aluminum I still have it at my house I'll have to check it when I get home... Maybe it says which material they switched to.

15. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/goblet7/movieclaws.jpg]

Ok, heres a pic from the guy who owns one of the 8 sets from the first x-men, I dont know why but it should be a higher res.... This should do for now.:)

16. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    It's amazing how simple they really are. But yeah, that's what I remember, except these fan-made ones I saw had just a bar, instead of what looks like a molded handle in that little pic. And I remember the blades being smaller, but they were real metal and already pretty heavy, so I'm sure they made a creative decision to keep them metal but not have them weight a ton.

17. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Yeah, I've seen pictures of the stunt ones in X2, they look like hero ones, but I think they done have as sharp edges or somthing, I've also seen a pic of the claws used for shots where they shoot out of his hands, their basically just like that sept cut off an inch or so from the knuckles.

18. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?id=3651
    Found this on a search, these are the X2 wolverine clawas that hugh wore in some scenes look to be about the same with a few differences.

19. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    In the works of figuring out what material these things were made from, in both X1 and X2, I'll still probably end up making mine from plexiglass, but if those materials are stronger I could switch.

20. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    According to issue #83 of Cinefex, the majority of the claws from the first X-Men were injection-molded plastic in a base-tone color, which implies that they were painted. So if I had to guess, I'd say the plastic was styrene.

21. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Cool, I can pick up some styrene, I might go with what I have now though cause I think it might hold up better.

22. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I've never injection-molded before, so I don't know how that works. I assume you have to melt the styrene. Which would be pretty damn hot.

23. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Injection molding isn't hard at all. You set up a [to be heated] resevior/tank above the mold, put in the plastic pellets and melt them, then compress the plunger which forces the hot plastic into the mold. Let it cool and you have your part.

24. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Have you done this before?

What kind of mold do you need to use? What kind of mold release is required? What kind of plastic is this? What can the tank be made from? What can the plunger be made from? How hot does the plastic get? Do you have to transfer the molten plastic from the tank to the injection device? How long does it take to cool? Can you just heat the plastic on a stove? Are there foxic fumes? Do you need a respirator?

25. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I heard that injection molding was expensive, is this true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.