main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wolverine ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Gavin Hood to Direct Wolverine!

20th Century Fox has set Gavin Hood to direct Hugh Jackman in Wolverine, the "X-Men" spinoff that was written by David Benioff.

The film, which begins production in November for a 2008 release, will be produced by Lauren Shuler-Donner, Jackman and his Seed Productions partner John Palermo.

Hood is the South African director whose 2005 film Tsotsi won the foreign film Oscar. His next film, the thriller Rendition with Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal, opens on October 12.

Using several resources that include the Marvel Comics lore, along with the more recent Weapon X graphic novels by Frank Miller, Wolverine mixes action with an origin story about how Logan emerged from a barbaric experiment as an indestructible mutant with retractable razor-sharp claws.

After three "X-Men" films grossed over $1 billion worldwide, the studio has made Wolverine a top priority.

"I have long been a fan of Gavin's work and know he will make a masterful film with the character intensity and action beats the fans expect," said Jackman.

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Im really looking forward to this. Any news on the cast other than Jackman ?

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    don't know. i'd hope they bring back Bryan Cox as Striker. i'm also interested in what other mutant cameos we might have

4. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Im sure Xavier will have a cameo. Maybe Sabertooth as well.

5. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm going to marry Wolverine.
    even though I'm already married. I'll figure it out......

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Haven't seen any of Hood's work.

But I do know one thing: this movie needs Deadpool. At the very least, a cameo. And, of course, Sabertooth, but a more intelligent version than what we saw in X-Men.

And I'd also like to see Cox (one of my favorite actors) return as Stryker. He played the role very well, and any other actor would be lucky to top his performance.

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Sweet, most of the movie will probably take place in Alberta. I wonder if they'll also include him fighting in WW1 and then going to Japan ...

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I can just imagine the reaction in the United States. Alot of people will probably be thinking, "What? Wolvering's Canadian?" :confused: :p :D

*Has a very wild thought*

Wolverine at Vimy Ridge? :D :D :D

9. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    The old "Josh Holloway as Gambit" nutshell has resurfaced. Apparently they've even entered negotiations this time around. Fan rumblings have it that he fight along side Wolverine in WWII. Hang the continuity... apparently.

EDIT: It's worth noting that some sources have it that he was offered the part for X3, but turned it down. The fact that he's now even bothering to talk should be a pretty good sign.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    If any idiot said that, I'd tell them to watch the first 2 movies again as they make it pretty obvious that he's a Canuck.

And while I'd love to see Remy LeBeau in a movie, this isn't the one for him. And I'd have to hear Holloway pull off a convincing Cajun accent first.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Agreed on both counts.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know that I agree with that. If you are familiar with the character, or even X-Men in general than you alread know that, but all that was really said in the X-Men and X2 was the EXPERIMENT was done in Alberta, not that Logan is Canadian.

13. OptimusPrime--

OptimusPrime-- Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2007
    Wow I can't believe you Americans can possibly doubt he's Canadian?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_%28comics%29#Wolverine.27s_intended_origin

14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    But didn't Rogue find Wolverine in Canada in the first movie?

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, emphasis on found. Before joining the X-men, Logan was a drifter. I've never read the comic books, but I'm pretty sure that nowhere in the movie does is it specifically said that Logan is Canadian, only that the Weapon X experiments were conducted in Alberta.

16. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    While it certainly could be mistaken that Logan/Wolverine/James Howlett is American based solely on the movies, I thinks its pretty widely known that he is Canadian. You don't need to be a comic fan to know that.

That said while I adore the character I can't see this film franchise having much life left for a spinoff and they would have to take it in a new and interesting direction.

OT: I don't get the appeal in Remy...I never found him to be a terribly interesting character.

17. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000

Does it really matter if they toss aside the continuity at the point, though ? It obviously wont be the first time theyve done it. They've been doing it since the first movie came out.

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I agree. Form what little I have seen of him, he appears to be a character created simply to be "cool". Also, I was kind of annoyed that they gave him two unrelated powers: super-agility and explosively charging objects. Plus, he also carries a weapon, and is incredibly handsome and charming as well. They should have just called him Gary Stu. The point of the X-Men in the old-days was that everyone had one ability only, and that was part of the reason they fought as a team.

19. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I was never much of a Gambit fan, either, although Id be intetested to see how he's portrayed on film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.