main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wolverine (X-Men Origins: Wolverine & The Wolverine)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Marvel has finally confirmed what has been known for some time now - they are working on a Wolverine prequel film:

It's a real shame that they didn't establish in the first two films that Wolverine had a history with Sabretooth and Lady Deathstryke. It would've been great to see them in the prequel. Still, if the movie deals with the Weapon X program, it might give us a chance to see Brian Cox's William Stryker again.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Some Sabertooth and Lady Deathstrike backstory would've been great. We learn so much about Wolverine from X2, but not that. Hopefully this will at least reference it.

Also since it is not an X-Men movie persay, it should have a different feel to it. I believe the screenwriter is different. Maybe a psychological approach on the character. Delve deep inside Wolverine and conjure up a really good story.

3. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I think it would be cool, if they showed him doing some sort of special forces mission during World War Two or some other war.

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Not a bad idea. I liked the X-Men movies, but I never want to see Hugh Jackman in the role of Wolverine again. Hopefully they'll cast someone else for this.

5. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I can't see them doing that. Not unless Hugh Jackman doesn't want to do the movie for some reason.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Jackman is very much involved in the movie.

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I know it's a long shot but if they were to take this in a new direction, can anyone see them using the campy yellow and black wolvernine costume from the cartoon series. I know a lot of people were upset with the Wolverine character for not having that costume.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    God no. I think they addressed it perfectly in the first movie.

Yellow spandex on real people is ridiculous. I'll admit they've made leaps and bounds in making realistic looking costumes in similar manners so maybe it isn't out of the realm of possibility but if they are really going a weapon X route they're would be no costume what so ever.

Edit: and the costume is from the comics really. It was just the most recognizable costume from the character's history so it got stuck in the cartoon (depending on which one you are refering too), though some prefer the brown.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The cartoon is the one from 90's I remember that was on Fox-KIDS around the same time as Power Rangers.

And about the yellow costume, I was just making sure since it should be quite different from the X-Men Trilogy. I hope not too. And yet I know people who were upset when it didn't make it in the movie.

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    One thing you quickly learn on internet message boards is that people are upset about everything, all the time ;)

If you marketed movies for comic geeks and people on internet message boards Hollywood would be in a worse place B.O. wise then it is now. Except instead of a few million down it would be hundreds of millions down (and you'd be hitting blockbuster status @ $50.00 :p ).

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I can picture them incorporating the yellow costume into the movie. But it would definetly be a cameo appearance type deal. Maybe they can have some Weapon-X techs going over some various idea's for his uniform and that could be one of them. Similar to the scene in Spider-Man when Peter is designing his costume. They could show a bunch of quick flashes of Wolverine's various costumes over the years.

Because I imagine the movie would be about him getting involved in Weapon X. Maybe even have him refered to as "James", prior to his adimantium injections and memory erasure.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    James *snicker*

I could see that set up.

13. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    As I see it, the film would benefit most from following Wolverine in Japan or Madripoor (Marvel's fictional Southeast Asian country), because those places are so key to Logan's history. I'd say his best solo stories usually involved one of those places in some capacity or another.

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Actually the ones upset that I knew at the time were my friends who didn't go to message boards, but were raised on the X-Men cartoons on FOX.

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well thats an even worse reason :p

Thats like getting pissed because Krypto isn't in the new Superman movie (even though he might be actually).

Either way my comment wasn't necessarily directed at your friends complaining but people in general. You'll never please everyone all the time so you focus on the bigger picture.

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Then I guess I can just hope he gets a better deal before it's too late.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Hugh Jackman is doing the Wolverine movie. he has a lot of input on it

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm pretty sure he's getting a producer credit in it as well.

19. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Replacing Hugh Jackman at this point would be a terrible idea. It would make it feel like a straight-to-video project without him.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Ever see State and Main? o_O

That was associate producer though wasn't it.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think a better version would be some sort of Weapon X training or procedural suit that is there for only a short time but at least gives it a showing.

22. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, it's going to need to be something subtle but still fanboy/girl recognizable. The yellow looks great in the comic, but it just won't translate onscreen.

I'm excited for this one though. It could really be a great movie if they can get the script right.

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    No offense taken. :)

I agree Jackman is Wolverine. He turned that character into an unique dimension from the past and it wouldn't be the same without him.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Willem Stryker is a must for this

25. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I picked up the Weapon X novelization which was essentially a stylized horror version of the famous comics from Marvel Presents. I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was the inspiration (at least in part) for the new film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.