main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wolverine (X-Men Origins: Wolverine & The Wolverine)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    It doesn't justify the leak at all, the person who did it should be arrested. And while I'm really not that interested in this movie, just cause of how horrible the last X-men film was and Fox's tendancy to make horrible comic book movies , I feel bad for the people who put there hard effort into this movie, only to have some idiot possibly ruin there work.

and also, I've already seen Two good Wolverine movies, there called X-men and X2, which are basically Wolverine centered films. Though I will catch the film in theaters on May 1, who knows, maybe it will surprise me and turn out too be great. I haven't followed anything really on this film, so I'm spoiler free for it. But I heard Ryan Reynolds is in this film, is that right? He was great in the just released Adventureland.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ryan is in the film as Deadpool. If you want to see him in a good non-comedic role, check out Smokin' Aces. Great flick.

3. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    already saw Smokin Aces and it is a great film. But he was also great in Adventureland, not a comedic part either.

I'll see this film cause of Jackman, hopefully they'll erase the mistakes of X-Men:the last stand.

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Despite any negative feedback from those who have seen the pirated version of the film, I'm still looking forward to it. Jackman is Wolverine and I'm excited to see him reprise the role.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, word has been out that the finished movie is the same as the leaked cut, shy unfinished FX.

However... there may be hidden multiple endings in theaters

First Showing reports that director Gavin Hood told attendees of a recent press screening of the film that they''ve hidden multiple secret endings on different prints and theaters will be showing different versions.

The downside? The endings will be quick - no more than a minute long each and will likely be very little variation on the same thing.

I wonder if that means Deadpool has a chance at survival?

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    After X3 I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Fox. I remember all the speculation on SuperHeroHype that there was a secret ending, that Cyclops wouldn't really die, etc. Afterwards I realized it was foolish of me to expect any sort of respect for fans or source material from these folks.

7. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    I'm still not really that interested in this film, I've already seen 3 Wolverine films, they were X-Men, X2 and the last one. I might check it out as a rental, and I'm really not interested in any Fox Comic book films right now, they've basically all sucked and felt rushed. I just wish the X-men film rights would go back to Marvel, that would be great.

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm not rushing out for this film - even if it costs me a Deadpool movie. It's just not worth the 10.50 or whatever absurd price AMC is asking these days to watch Fox butcher so many characters in one sitting, no matter how good Jackson is as Wolverine. I only shelled out money for the Last Stand because of the brilliant casting of Kelsey Grammer for Beast and for the great performances by Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart in the past 2.

Gambit's nice but just doesn't fit in this story for me. Same with Emma and especially with Cyclops. Deadpool nearly sold it for me until it was leaked out how badly they screwed him over. So, I'll see this at the student price one thursday in june perhaps. And if I don't get to the theater, there's always the DVD. I'd rather save my money for the numerous other movies coming this May. I predict Wolverine will be thrashed by the end of the Month once Trek and Terminator get released. This will not be like Iron Man.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I haven't been following this thread but I just got back from the theatre and though I'd share my thoughts. I did not see the work in progress so this is all first impressions.

1. Really liked the Wolverine/Sabertooth dynamic, and Schreiber was very good. Suitably psychotic.
    2. Deadpool is in this movie for about 5 seconds. Weapon XI is a ridiculous disappointment. The fight was very cool with the choreography but Captain Planet Mutant sucked.
    3. There is no chance he lived through this movie. It would change the last 15 minutes. Unless he can live through his head being removed from his body.
    4. Nice Stewart cameo at the end, and decent explanation for why he doesn't remember any of the mutants.
    5. Emma is in the movie for even less than Deadpool. Cool SFX though.
    6. The after credit scene sucked- Wolvie in a bar. I wouldn't wait for it, though apparently it might be different?
    7. Couldn't even tell Gambit was supposed to be Cajun but his powers were suitably badass, the little we saw of them.
    8. Didn't recognise Wraith, Kayla or Zero from the comics but they were decent.
    9. The theatre laughed at the right moments, everyone seemed to enjoy the movie. It should do alright.

Overall, I liked it- on a par with X1, X2 much better though. X3 we won't talk about.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In the comics, he can, for a period of time.

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I think it's established this Deadpool has little to do with the comics. :p In any case, I'd be very incredulous since there doesn't appear to be anyone on the island interested in rescuing him by then.

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    My review of it (potential spoilers):

Following the absolutely abysmal X-Men 3, Wolverine's most pressing concern was to turn people back on to the X-Men franchise and not repeat X3's mistakes. Whereas the first two X-Men films kept the heavy action set pieces to a minimum, instead preferring to focus on the characters and how people deal with being mutants. In contrast, X3 went all out from start to finish. Unfortunately Wolverine follows a similar format to X3.

In Wolverine's defense, it tries to build up its characters and make the audience empathise with them much more than X3 did. Wolverine's love interest, Kayla Silverfox (Lynn Collins) allows for Hugh Jackman to show a side to Wolverine that'd been missing in the previous X-Men films. Moreover, Liev Schreiber is excellent as Sabertooth, adding depth and intelligence to a character who in the first film was little more than growling set dressing. He also provided an excellent foil to Wolverine, going pound for pound with him and providing a believable threat.

However, this is about as far as praise for the films characters can go. Danny Huston's version of William Stryker is less manipulative, yet insane, military officer and more cackling mad scientist. Taylor Kitsch is also a poor Gambit. He has the looks, but not the charisma or swagger that's so typical of The Ragin' Cajun.

Despite these flaws, the biggest complaint has to be reserved for the assortment of secondary mutants that make up the rest of the cast. It's not that they're badly cast or badly acted, but more than they're barely in it! Dominic Monaghan is in the film for a whole ten minutes and Ryan Reynolds is criminally underused. Reynolds character, Wade Wilson (aka Deadpool), is one of the best characters in the whole Marvel universe and while we see brief glimpses of what make him so good at the beginning of the film, his character is so badly bastardised at the end that it really spoilt any future potential his character may have.

Another mark against the film is the CGI. It stands out an absolute mile and really draws you out of the film at the worst times, such as scenes which are meant to have an emotional drive behind them.

Overall, Wolverine isn't terrible, far from it. It's a darn sight better than X3 for one thing. However, it is also a heavily flawed film. The other mutants in the film besides Wolverine, Sabertooth and Gambit aren't utilised fully and left me incredibly disappointed. Combined with the, at times, laughably bad CGI really affected my enjoyment of the film. Despite this, the performances of Jackman and Schreiber especially elevate the film above mediocrity. The action is also a highlight, allowing for the film to not become boring.
    While not a patch on X-Men 1 or 2, it's still an entertaining (albeit flawed) film, worthy of a rental or download for a Saturday night in.

7/10

13. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    Just got back from seeing the film, I thought it was ok nothing special and have to agree with pretty much everything the guy above me said about the film.

The one thing that I left the cinema thinking was I would love to see a Deadpool movie, for the small amount of screen time he has, what i saw of Wade Wilson left me wanting more. I'm not a big comic book reader but after everything I had heard about what happens to Wade I looked up on him an its a crying shame what they did to him at the end of the movie.

I really hope they forgot the mess they made of the character at the end of a movie and give us a real Deadpool movie and ignore the mess they made with him.

Also, I've read that theres diffrent after credits clips for diffrent prints of the movie I got the Stryker being picked up by the army clip. What did everyone else get?

14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    That clip wasn't after the credits for me, I still got it before they rolled.

After the credits there was a bit with Wolvie drinking in Japan. Pointless.

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll have to echo everyone else. It was fun, but wasn't amazing. I was disappointed by the actual lack of screentime that other Mutants got (especially Gambit and Emma).

As for the credit stuff, there was 2. There was one right after the credits started off with Stryker being picked up for questioning about murdering a dude then after the credits I got Deadpool's arm groping over and finding his severed head, then his eyes popping open and his opened mouth going "shhhh."

16. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002

Oh you kid! I almost believed it :(

EDIT: I aplogise, that's a real ending! Sounds way better than the crappy Logan-in-a-bar end.

17. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    That Deadpool ending gives me hope about his character despite what this film might have done with him.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the best one by far- I got the other one, alas.

Movie was entertaining but disappointing. The first third or so was actually quite good, with the war montage and proto-Alpha Flight/Weapon X mission. Ryan Reynolds' two minutes of screentime was amazing and he MUST get his own movie, damnit (just without the stupid arm blades and optic blast and, maybe, the teleportation- at least the film said "the bonding process was incomplete" so there's hope for that to come true.

Hugh and Liv were great in their roles, as was the guy playing young Stryker. Blob and whoever the black was were good too. The Lost Hobbit's role had potential and was ok for what it was- though his scene with Liv should have been Wade instead.

Gambit was overtly shoehorned into the movie (that could have been any character, really), but was ok in some scenes, but he could have been better- they could have least given him the eyes all the time or something.

Cyclops was unneeded (though it was amusing to have him and Emma teamed up). Everyone else- who cares really?

So, most of the characters come across thanks to the actors, but the story really fails them all. Once Wolverine goes into the tank it's pretty much all over. And shouldn't that have all happened at Alkaline Lake?

19. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I saw it today and I think I liked it slightly more than X1 but nowhere as much as X2.

A few points:

1) I also got the Deadpool ending of the movie. That was uber freaky. It's a shame we only got the loud mouth Wade for maybe five minutes.

2) The Sabretooth/Wolvering dynamic really makes this movie work. Schreiber and Jackman are great together.

3) Gambit was a great character. I really liked him. And him saving Logan at the end? BadAss.

4) Normally I'm not really a stickler for too much continuity. It doesn't usually bother me when certain things are out of place. But it was obvious that the film makers didn't watch X2 very closely. They completely changed the set where Wolverine gets his adamantium. It annoyed me.

5) I want to know how Stryker weasled his way out of being punished for murdering that general.

6) Wolverine taking down a helicopter? AWESOME.

7) The battle on top of the reactor was COMPLETELY absurd. Don't get me wrong. It looked really cool but I can't say that I think it was smart of Logan to go up there.

8) I don't know why but I was highly amused that they kept Logan's hatred of flying in this movie :p

Edit: I forgot:

9) Did Stan Lee do a cameo in this movie? I didn't notice him.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, they need to retire the over-head-shot-as-someone-screams-to-the-sky cliche- it was used like 3 times in the movie and it was laughable each time.

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I was wondering that too.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8769/ryandeadpoolr.jpg]

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Agreed. I also thought there were a few too many shots of Logan flexing his arms off to his sides with his claws extended.

Nice :p

24. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I haven't seen it yet but I would guess no since he didn't create Wolverine.

25. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I just got back from seeing the film and I definitely enjoyed it. The plot was a little thin but I agree that the first 1/3 or so was fantastic in terms of story. Deadpool was awesome for the little time that he was in the film and I hope they find some way to continue the character. The biggest complaint I have was the CGI. In several instances, Wolverine's claws looked absurdly fake and seemed to be poorly tracked to his hands (they kept moving up and down, etc.). Overall a fun movie that had a lot of potential but didn't totally deliver. Still a fun experience though, and probably worth your $10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.