main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wolverine (X-Men Origins: Wolverine & The Wolverine)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    In the bathroom scene they looked kinda like the effects in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. :/

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I assumed it did take place there...we're never given a location are we?

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    In Wolverine he escapes from the facility by that back entrance and jumps over the waterfall. But there was no cliff and waterfall in X2 and he breaks out through another door. Although I suppose that could be explained away by him leaving through the door in X2, entering another part of the facility much farther away trying to find a way to escape the grounds, and then leaving through the door and over the waterfall in Wolverine. But that seems to be overly complicated.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought for awhile that maybe they meant it to be the lake, just from a different POV or entranceway, but it just didn't feel like the same facility- it didn't seem to have anything to do with a dam, spillways, etc.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

That's exactly what I thought. And Blob... yeah.

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

One thing I found funny was how towards the end, we saw a lot of shots where the camera was about two feet above the ground, facing up. Were they just unable to get the location again for additional footage, or did the FX budget run out?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After the collapse? I think that was intentional to reflect the POVs of Wolverine and whatshername being on the ground looking up at either the looming bad guy or saving hero.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I got the same impression as Quest. It seemed to be a stylistic choice rather than a budgetary one.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Saw the movie. Liked it as an origin for Wolvie. Cool mutant cameos. Deadpool got ****** up the ***, but if he gets his own movie like the first ten minutes, I'll be cool.

Funny side-note: I live, literally 20 miles away from TMI, and I literally guffawed at the ending. I'm pretty sure Wolverine got to see my house. They definately took some artistic liberties with the whole 'meltdown' thing!

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I had nothing better to do last night, so I went with a friend to a 10:30 showing. It was terrible.

Beginning was quite good but the whole movie just jumped ahead too much at times to get where they wanted to be. I would have loved to see a little WW2 bit with a guy named Rogers and Logan rescuing a polish boy and several others from a concentration camp. But that's the smallest complaint I have. Overall the wars montage worked pretty well.

The movie suffers from 2 core problems: 1) BAD BAD BAD CGI that completely takes you out of the movie. 2) Cramming in unnecessary cameos for cameo sake.

Wade was great and should have taken the screen time of Wraith, Gambit or the guy from Lost. Heck, he could have taken Agent 0's screen time. The end use of him was a complete waste. It might have even been forgivable if he hadn't had his mouth shut and been controlled by Stryker. If he had just been given a bunch of cool stuff and sent after logan, cracking jokes as he tried to kill him, THAT would have been great.

Unnecessary deaths as well. We really didn't need to see the guy from Lost getting killed at all really. Same with Wraith and the offscreen mention of Dukes. It was just a "Hey! Look at this somewhat famous actor! And this guy is a rapper! And we know you like Gambit so there!" They could spent the scenes on far better development of their plot that was all over the place. When Stryker showed Logan the paper with the hobbit's death, that was all that was needed. Point made. No need for a wasted scene on him.

The whole Silver Fox thing (I assume that was her?) was a combination of rushed scenes and some pointless scenes. How much time really needed to be spent on Lumberjack Logan? The first fight with Victor was pretty good no complaints there. The Weapon X stuff seems to be where the movie's budget was spent. Because that looked good. Everything after.......

What was the deal with Ma and Pa Kent? Seriously looked like a scene from Superman. And the claws in the bathroom looked beyond fake. And rather than the nice old couple giving Logan some clothes and a motorcycle, they have to shoot them both and then blow up their barn for an unnecessary chase scene and MORE bad CGI. Really? We couldn't have better utilized this stuff to develop the many other things essential to the plot?

Let's start with the fact that no one really explains what happened to make Wraith, Hobbit guy or Blob quit. It's referenced enough but never even shown and it's not like they didn't do flashbacks. Then again, all three of them were pretty much useless anyway and took time away from Silver Fox, Logan, Wade, Stryker and Victor - The 5 core members essential to this movie.

I won't even touch on the lack of Dr. Cornelius (maybe he was that unnamed doctor but I never heard it)

The whole plot really was just weird. That it turns into going to this "island" to rescue mutants was a bit dumb. The use of Cyclops was unnecessary but since it gave us and Xavier cameo, I'll let that slide. Although Xavier seems to have a new power of making his face melt and that too was just a reminder of bad (and unnecessary CGI) Really how much has Patrick Stewart aged that they need to digitally deage him for a cameo? And if they had to have him (which actually makes sense given his knowledge of Stryker in X2), a little more development would have been nice. Heck, they should have gotten Magneto as well and made the two of them supporting characters. They would actually fit better. You see Xavier appear and wonder "Well how did he know where they are? Assume it's Cerebro and you then ask why he didn't just rescue everyone himself?" Xavier's sudden appearance, while nice, just seems out of the blue.

The bullets damaging Logan's brain was just dumb. No real other way to say it. Apparently shooting him in the head only affects memory but nothing else? He's not brain damaged at all? They should have just wiped his mind in the facility. It would have made for a far more interesting movie.

End credit scene with Deadpool was good and I REALLY hope they do a

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Dude, there are things to gripe about... and then there's going overboard. You're going overboard.

Overall, it's a fun movie and if you went into it expecting it to be TDK or frakkin exactly like the comics in detail you were deluding yourself.

The bullet thing was dumb, and i would've preferred that Jason Stryker's brain juice have been used in some way to mess up Logan's memory... but other than that I enjoyed the movie and had some laughs. Gambit could've been anyone else, but he was there because fanboys whined he wasn't in the X-Men trilogy but his name was on Stryker's list of muties in X2 so it makes a certain degree of sense. Ma and Pa Kent were weird, and they took the role of the Hudsons... which I understand not including them as that would've brought in Department H and Alpha Flight and that would've just put Logan back into the same position he was in with Stryker coming out of Vietnam anyways.

My rule of thumb with movies these days, and this is because of the PT really, is go in with lowered expectations and come out happy.

12. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I thought it was silly that Deadpool's head fell on this perfect axis to create a flawless spiral cut through the concrete stack. And can those beams really just automatically burn through anything instantly? I figured it would at least take some time to wear through metres of concrete. And the ones in the distance didn't even get affected. It was like the beam just stopped at a certain point.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I saw it on Friday evening. I thought it was ok. I put it on the same level as X-Men 3. I thought Deadpool was completely ruined. From interviews though, Ryan Reynolds is dead set on making a Deadpool film.

14. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Saw it tonight and I'll give it a 7 out of 10.
    Yes, the fx effects for the claws were inconsistent. I honestly wonder if Fox didnt bother tuning up the effects after the leakage online as punishment.

The only honest thing I have to say about people complaining about the writers/directors/producers/studio not adherring to comic lore is simple. They dont care.

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The funny thing is... why do people get their panties in a bunch about X-Men and Wolverine not adhering strictly to comic lore but are willing to give Batman a pass? I don't get that. I know the comic lore pretty well, Wolverine almost as well as most people and I'm not trippin' about it at all.

The only thing I've been thinking lately, after having recently watched the X-Men trilogy again... is how epic the whole thing could've been if they'd given Magneto is proper due in those movies instead of giving him a more villian of the week vibe. X1 probably should've involved Sentinels and Magneto then doing something with the Sentinels to turn them on the government. X2, IMO, is the best of the bunch and that's because it deals with government organizations targeting mutants even if they are doing so clandestinely. X2 was, without a doubt, inspired by Ultimate X-Men's "Return to Weapon X" storyline that included Nightcrawler in that program unwillingly and the Brotherhood(sans Magneto) helping the X-Men escape and fight the Weapon X controllers.

Stuff from X3 originated in Ultimate X-Men... the psuedo love triangle between Kitty, Bobby and Rogue, for instance. And Phoenix being Jean's Jungian shadow self(though later in Ultimate X-Men the Phoenix was revealed to be an entity of it's own just like the main Marvel universe).

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When the first X-Men movie hit I was definitely one of those people who got butt-hurt over the lack of comic-continuity. But sometime between that and the release of X2 I just started thinking of it as an alternate-universe and stopped caring as much. And that's really the only way a comic fan can watch comic book movies and enjoy them.

I think the X-Men movies get the most attention because they stay the furthest from the comics. For example, they combined Quicksilver, Caliban, and Callisto into one character in X3 for some reason. Or they made Emma Frost and Silver Fox sisters for the Wolverine movie. Fox seems keen on including as many cameo appearances as possible in the X-Franchise but they seem to have little regard for the actual characterizations of these characters. But this is something that's been done as long as books have been translated to the big screen.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The movie-verse for X-Men is alot like the Ultimate universe... some characters in Ultimate X-Men are combinations of existing Marvel universe characters. Like Ultimate Proteus is Proteus mixed with David Xavier.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Actually, all I wanted was Spider-man 1 level. It is an origin story. Iron Man and Spider-man did that pretty well. But this movie was jerky. It jumped at the wrong places and slowed at the wrong places. It wasn't a smooth transition. And if the special effects weren't going to be good, then cut some of those scenes (The entire Ma and Pa Kent death and blowing up piece and the terrible bathroom scene) and spend it developing the characters beyond something 2 dimensional. Victor just strikes you as a guy who ties girls to train tracks and would twirl a mustache if he had one. Stryker seems like a ripoff of General Ross. Agent 0 is very far from Maverick and Blob was just unnecessary. The thing that irks me the most is how Logan finds the island and location is drawn out just for the sake of cameos. Can accept the mutant prisoner thing, can almost accept deadpool if they hadn't sewn his mouth shut. But sacrificing character development for cameos was just not the best choice for a movie called "Wolverine".

As to the Dark Knight. There were 5 main cast members and 3-4 supporting. A lot of time was spent on character development. I can't even recall a cameo for any character in Dark Knight so that's probably the wrong movie to compare it to. But let's go with Iron Man and the use of SHIELD. That folded well into the overall plot and didn't have Tony going all of the place to find information.

Overall, the movie has a decent plot. It's just not translated well by this film. It has a nice cast who just fall flat towards the end. The beginning was great. I personally would have rather scene more of Team X, then cut to Logan's Canada thing. Go to Weapon X where Logan does (or doesn't) get mind wiped. Personally I prefer does. He could then pretty much follow the rest of the plot (losing Gambit and Blob and moving them to mutants rescued by Logan. Wraith optional). So I guess what bugs me is the creative choices that were made when they didn't need to be done. All the pieces are there for a good movie and yet, it just doesn't come together because of several decisions that leave you scratching your head.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    That whole series from that guy is great, if you haven't watched it from #1

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Hi, I'm a Marv-WOAH!"

I also love the Mortal Kombat pose- "Deadpool- wins!".

Yeah, that whole series is great, though I've only watched a handful (there's so many!). The stuff last year between Iron Man and The Dark Knight was great- "I am from the future, and this movie is still sold out!".

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The reviews I'm seeing are not inspiring my confidence. I usually rush out to see any comic-book movie on opening day or weekend, but so far I've been able to summon little interest in this one. That said, I'm a fan of Jackman and I enjoyed the three X-Men films (yes, even 3, which I thought was bold and action-packed and quite satisfying!), so I'll likely be giving Wolvie a try sooner or later.

24. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So I watched Wolverine the other night and I enjoyed it! I was entertained and that's all I was looking for!

My question is did anyone outside Australia play 'spot the Aussie actor' game? There were about a dozen of them. Did anyone, particularly Americans, squirm at an attempted accent? From my perspective they all seemed suitably bland, you couldn't really hear any Aussie accent, though maybe that's coz im an Aussie.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't usually pick on up on actors doing an american accent (unelss it's like, for example, say Punisher Warzone, where you have all these bad guys doing awful near-parodies of a NY italian mobster accent), but nothing came to mind in the movie, even thinking back, the only one I would guess could have been the american general, but he talked in a weird, stilted way that could have been intentional regardless of accent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.