main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Woman who Play SW RPG Were are you

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by TheExecutor, Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Gaming on and off for almost 20 years, (Wow, been a long time since I was in 3rd Grade!)
    In that time, I've met about 11 female gamers.
    A large part of the problem is the perception that gamers are geeks. Then there's the fact that the gamers that are geeks have so little exposure to dealing with women, that they either seize up or try to hit on them. Sad really.
    Worse still is that fact that 4 of those women were really nasty and bitchy. The fact that two were lesbians dating each other made the guys trying to hit on them in for a really bad time (one was extremely possessive).

2. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    finding women had never been a problem... keeping them has been...lol
    right now my wife plays w/ us in star wars
    my buddies wife plays w/ us in D&D

and right now thats all we have..

over the years there hav been about6 or 7 others... however it seems the more ya break up.. the more female gamers ya loose.. IMHO the only way to keep women gamers is to marry them...lol

3. XJ3-Pilot

XJ3-Pilot Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm a male player whos been playing RPG since I was 3 (my dad taught me to play D&D with my 'Uncle and Aunt' so he could keep an eye on me and play D&D with his friends at the same time). I'm now 21 and still playing, now mainly Star Wars. In that time I've played with 4 women but one stands out as the Best GM I've played a game with and as one of the best players in one of the games I ran. She was a HUGE Star Wars fan (my friends and I met her and her fiance in line for Episode II) and knew how to run a good Star Wars game.

4. Midnight_Jedi

Midnight_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2003
    I think one of the reasons that women/girls don't RPG that much is because, speaking for myself and many other girls I know, lots of girls prefer Freelance-RPGs where you don't have to keep track of stats, points, levels and such. I really enjoy F-RPG because you can make-up characters and develope them the way you want and give them abilities that you think suit them best. Of course, we have limits as too how powerful you can be and require certain things to be checked by a GM, but mostly it's do what ever you want. I've noticed that guys, this is seriously in general, like to have things to measure their character and it's development to.

So, that may be why you don't see a lot of girls in regular RPGs. The ratio of girls to boys in my Freelance-RPG is 7:1 and in my structured RPG it's 1:6 (Me being the one girl)

5. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I've been gaming for about 11 years now. I've seen alot of things. On the subject of female gamers until recently I only saw them at GenCon, and then they were/have been very experenced players. Pretty much every female player I've come across have been very good at staying in character.

I've just started a StarWars campaign a few years back and I've got one female in it. She brings a lot of depth to the group as a whole and you could tell from the notes (we keep them so if we can't play for a while everyone still knows whats happening) that there is a difference.

6. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    the other night when i was running.. my wife ( in -character) screamed at the dramatically appropriate moment... awsome stuff.. the guys would never do that

7. SithLordMara

SithLordMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    i'm one! and i have to say, we all hide out in the basement of our local sarge's comic dealer...

good luck on your search.

~Sith

8. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    You know, I've always suspected one of the local gaming shops had women chained down to the walls of the basement. Granted, I assumed they were all part of some far east slave trade and not actual gaming types.

9. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    [face_laugh]

CJK, I know what you mean about the notes. The one female that was in our group left, and now we have no one that can take notes that are worth a flip.

10. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Well, the rest of the group relies heavily on the notes to find out what happened, Fin. I personally just mark off where we are in my own notes.

11. SithLordMara

SithLordMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    tremaniac: nah, any chaining that is done usually goes on behind closed doors after gaming hours. ;)

[face_devil]

~Sith

12. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I just started in the SW RPG, sorta... I have only played a few times, but I also played D&D. I'm just waiting for then next game to be made. I also like to play Mage Knight Dungeon. (Ir's not much of a RPG, but close enough LoL) So, I know all about how to play and the dice and stuff. I just need the experience.

I'm currently a noble. I'm a daddy's girl with lots of money and connections :D

Now there are 2 Jedi's on the team, (well people who are able to use the force) and we will be fighting alot more. My vitiality is pretty low, so I planned a new character for if or when I die. hehehe... she will be fun...

13. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Mara, that's an altogether different and infinately more fun form of role playing. But then again, I'm a masochist so of course I think it's better.
    Jedi Samwise, you mean those mage knight figures are used for something other than models we wished our PCs could look like? As a point, you should let the jedi get close in while you stand back and blast in a fight. While they are using sabers, you should be making free use of that five foot step backwards. Precise shot might not be a bad feat either.

14. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes, Mage Knight, that one. it's amusing. :D I'm a dwarf, a vampire dude thingy that can fly... and something else, oh, a theif!

Well, I did that the last mission. I stood back and shot people and ran to another place and shot from there. Than we went into sith temples for the next mission. Hehehe. We saw a Kell dragon. but we didn't fight it. We're not ready. LoL

15. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    If your picking your battles your already smarter than 80% of the gamers I've ever met. Too many people are of the mentality that if a creature is there, it's meant to be killed. I usually have one word to describe them, LUNCH!

16. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    Are you replying to me?

Well, if you are...

Some people just run in, than if they can, they run out when their vitality is low. Me, from the start I never ran into battle. I waited and then ran. I kept my distance. My vitality right now is 28 compared to another at the same level as me: 40.
    In the first mission, everyone but me and another dude, stayed behind as the rest went up ahead. It wasn't that far, really, but far enough behind so we couldn't get shot. A changeling (part of me team) was captured and couldn't get free, (low rolls, very low LoL ) so I decided that I can free him and I ran up and grabed the dude that's holding the changling and that set him free. I tried to pin him down on the floor, but that didn't work. It was pretty funny, actually. Than I started shooting. But I was critisized that I was a wimp and didn't run in, in the first place. But, according to the DM, I made a smart move. I moved before the other dude that stayed behind. He had higher vitality and a better gun! But we played it safe, and didn't just run in and randomly shoot.

So... ya.

17. colbabe

colbabe Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2003
    In all of my long 23 years of RPGing, the best ratio of females to males my gaming groups have ever had is 50:50 - 4 players total, 2 female.

In the game I'm currently GMing, there's only one female: my girlfriend, playing a Human Scout. (She also has the group's freighter, but a hefty loan to the Corporate Sector balances that one out.) She's a bit of a wallflower, isn't an experienced gamer, and likes playing Star Wars because it's easy to visualise; a previous effort to get her to play Earthdawn failed in this regard.

I've had some excellent experiences with female gamers (up to and including a burdgeoning in-game - not out-of-game - romance subplot with a fellow female player), and some not-so-excellent experiences (let's not go into those...), but I've found that - apart from the lack of numbers - female gamers don't vary that much in personality from male gamers. Well, aside from the fact that female players play female characters a whole lot better than male players do... ;)

18. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I've had many a femme in my RPG campaigns that have spanned over 12 years.

Ironically, those that gamed were some of the best players I'd ever had the pleasure of gaming with; They took notes, paid attention, much more then some of their male counterparts, drew some great character sketches, asked a lot of questions, and some even did their homework for the next game.

I had tried for many years, unsuccessfully to get many a lady that stole my heart into the gaming field, but alas, girlfriends and RPG barely mix.

That is, until last Janruary, when after a hiatus of looking for love, was blessed with a chance encoutner with this vision of loveliness that wanted to try the RPG.

Suffice to say, within a month of that time, I found my soul mate.

But, here's the kicker-

Brace yourself gentlemen;

She likes to play more then I do! Trufully! She reads all the books, makes costumes, songs, poems, writes fan fics, buys more dice then I do cigarettes, and worse...

She manipulates me into playing... :eek:

Yes! *Mock tears* Its true...

Using her affections to coerce me into playing more RPG's!!!

Oh, the agony!!

What's next? Throwing me into the bryar patch?

;)

19. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    We currently have one female in our campaign of 4 males.

20. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    She's probably a cultural observer...

;)

21. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Sharkys, the game shop I used to GM at had a couple of those. Strickly there to observe (geekiness in action, it's so enthralling). Either that or one of thier boyfriends was in game. None really had an inclination to game though.

22. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I have to say that my new game has 60% women and 40% men go figure! But the Women show up on time and ready to play wile the Guys just horse around and shot stuff. I like women who play!

23. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    In the one I'm playing, there's only 2 of us. Me and another.

24. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I think it's the fact that when a woman finally does play, she's around a group of guys that never see women, so they all mob her :p

Maybe not, but I just had to say it...

25. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    i have seen that happen....

"look woman!!! grunt.... "

and that is one of the many reasons we always lost the girls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.