main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Women and Star Wars: Female Fans, Characters, and Diversity in the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Community' started by corinthia, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Today I read a very interesting NY Times article that came through on my Facebook feed-- it addressed how female Star Wars fans have very much taken command of Star Wars and its fandom, and have been for a very long time. (Read it here) Part of the article addressed the JCF in particular—stating that this forum often marginalizes the opinions of its female members. The JCF happens to be one of two places I come for Star Wars things on the internet-- so at first I was surprised to read this. But then I thought about it, and I think this article is right.

But beyond that, I'd just like to discuss what the NY Times article was about: What female Star Wars fans would like out of upcoming Star Wars material, and how both female fans and characters are treated in the fandom.

First, let's look at the main female characters that currently represent the Star Wars movie franchise: Leia (white, brunette), Padme (white, brunette), Rey (white, brunette) and now, Jyn Erso (white, brunette). Such diversity! Yeah, right. Each of these ladies, while they all have distinct personality traits that set them apart from each other—they all look the same. And when it all boils down, they all represent pretty much the same thing: a strong woman who can get stuff done. Which are good qualities to look up to, but I'm ready to see more diversity than that. I want to see all kinds of women represented.

I think a lot about female diversity and representation in Star Wars as a whole. As an RPG player here on the JCF, I have been actively working to diversify my own female characters that I play, so this topic is on my mind a lot. I am so appreciative of the diversity the new Expanded Universe has been embracing (such as Temmin’s aunts and Sinjir himself in Aftermath and Moff Mors and her wife in Lords of the Sith, primarily), but I’m ready to see more: I want to see different body types (note: not just tall. Sorry, Phasma, but I’m ready for a plus-size ***-kicking space chick), different races and/or species, and non-straight ladies take the spotlight in the movies. And when I say the spotlight, I mean the spotlight. Not just more frequent cameos.

The Force Awakens took strides by casting a black actor and a Latino actor in two of the film’s main roles; I know that’s been praised and touted on Tumblr because I see it all the time, but all the ladies I follow on Tumblr are ready for the next step. Non-white female leads. Tumblr loves characters like Jessika Pava, who only got a handful of lines in TFA— which is sadly already more than all other non-white human female characters in Star Wars movies can lay claim to.

And beyond female characters in Star Wars itself, it’s sometimes hard to be a female fan of Star Wars out in the world. I know that personally I feel a little strange when I wear my Star Wars shirts and read EU books out in public (mostly because I know I don’t look like the un-trendy, glasses-sporting “typical geek girl”, which is, I feel, what most outsiders expect mega-fans like myself to look like). There are a lot of stereotypes surrounding what female fans of Star Wars, and of sci-fi franchises as a whole, should look, act and think like, and I’m all about breaking those stereotypes. Darn straight I’m gonna wear my fast fashion ankle boots with my Forever 21 top, my hair in boxer braids and my Instagram mastery level contour and highlight while reading Darth Bane: Path of Destruction! Ashley Eckstein has made great progress with Her Universe in regards to ladies’ Star Wars fashion, but it’s not for every fan. I just want to see all the t-shirts that come in only men’s cuts also come in women’s cuts, for starters.

But anyway, I digress—seeing as I began to rant just a lil. :p

So what I’d like to hear about and see discussed in this thread are the following questions:
    • How do you feel about the treatment female fans in Star Wars have been receiving?
    • How do you feel about the representation and treatment of female Star Wars characters in both canon and non-canon material?
    • What kinds of progress would you like to see re: female representation among the Star Wars franchise?
    Remember to stay respectful.

- - -

Some interesting and cool reads about women, diversity, and Star Wars:
    I'm not sure if there has been a thread like this one in the past, and I did look around a bit for one, but if one already exists... oops!

Ghost likes this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Well said, wench

Diggy likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It might be discussed somewhere else, but this is the miscellaneous discussion forum. No Star Wars talk allowed outside of the sticky thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.