main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Women in combat: US Ban to be lifted

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Oh my god stop pretending to know anything about biology. This is like listening to New Age people talking about quantum mechanics. You seriously can't in the same sentence use the phrase "strictly from an evolutionary standpoint" and then talk about evolution having a "purpose". Evolutionary biology is about how traits came to be, and how they change within populations. It's not a just-so story, it's not prescriptive, it's not an indicator of "how things should be" or "what our purpose is". What you're saying is about as scientific as Social Darwinism. Or phrenology. Tossing in a couple scientific terms you learned doesn't legitimize it.

Estelita, Rew, JackG and 10 others like this.
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Idg why anyone would have a problem with this. Do people imagine female soldiers as ninety-pound Victoria's Secret models running around the battlefield in heels? Pretty sure these chicks can take care of business.

JackG, Ulicus , MarasFire and 4 others like this.
  3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    this is a no-brainer. what is the logic for not doing away with this again?

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Sexism always cuts both ways. That's the problem with seeing people first and foremost as belonging to one gender rather than as a unique individual with their own set of strengths and weaknesses. There are women who are stronger than most men and there are men who are more nurturing than most women. That's the problem with making these broad categorizations -- they force people to conform to gender stereotypes.

Take the concept of alimony, for instance. It's based on a discriminatory system against both men and women. For men, very often, it forces them to support their ex-wives who are fully grown adult women capable of getting jobs. Yet the concept of alimony reveals deep biases against both genders: forcing men to be the breadwinner and, at the same time, devaluing equal female work and relegating women to the home. An individual with a bachelor's degree in biology, for example, can expect to be paid more if he is male rather than female because of this bias.

Men have the range of $42,955 - $81,832

Women, on the other hand have the range of $39,133 - $70,544

Which is quite a chunk of change (a difference of over $11,000 on the high-end scale) and thus both genders suffer from societal expectations. It just plays out in different ways.

In terms of the draft, to be honest, I'd be more in favor of abolishing it than forcing women to register since it's highly unlikely that men will ever be called. Plus, a conscripted military force brings a whole host of issues that a volunteer force does not.

In regards to women in the military, I believe that any individual should be able to have any position as long as they are qualified for the rank and meet requisite standards, regardless of gender.

Valairy Scot and Obi-Zahn Kenobi like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But if we don't have conscript armies how are we supposed to fight massive industrial age wars? :(

6. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    What. The. Hell. Ever heard of Laila Ali? Ever checked out Serena Williams's abs? These are women, who, like the dude pictured, have trained for decades and are some of the strongest athletes and best fighters in the world.

I'd call it a fair fight.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey guys remember when people were talking about how women shouldn't be burdened with the vote because they already had to care about the house and children and besides men were to relieve this terrible civic burden from them??

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Um Cain Velasquez would destroy Leila Ali in seconds. It's just a matter of ridiculous size advantage.

Of course against a military-trained martial artist who would probably know techniques that don't adhere to the rule system he fights in may be a different story. Besides which, put both of them in a uniform and give them M4s and I don't see how his size helps him there. Physical size doesn't have anything to do with modern combat (other than the ability to carry your required equipment) that I can see.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Thanks for the tag, harps :p. My day would have been so much less entertaining without this post.

lol

lol (turn on subtitles!)

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Or hell Ronda Rousey?

[​IMG]

Edit: Knew I took too long finding a pic. That was in response to Sauntaero

GenAntilles likes this.
  11. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yes give hell ronda rousey the gruns!

Ender_Sai likes this.
  12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I'm going to take this as an opportunity to post pictures of a hometown hero, Holly Holm of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am a man. I am also fairly certain that were I to attempt to engage her in hand to hand combat, I would have my ass handed to me.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm surprised the GOP hasn't attempted to take that away with their various voter ID laws, but that's a topic for the US Politics thread.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So will this mean women will now have to sign up for Selective Service?

Also I know plenty of women who I feel would easily be able to kill me in hand to hand. If women can match what the male soldiers do then by all means let them.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Have you fantasised about scenarios in which you revenge kill them, too?

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Congress will have to amend the Selective Service law to include them, so it depends, especially with the kind of Congress we have now.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree with LandoThe CapeCalrissian. Women have been scientifically shown to have smaller brains and less composure under fire than men (see the work of Kazakh scientist Dr Yamuka, who proved women have brains sized roughly the same as a squirrel's brain).

As soldiers, they would be marginally more useful than having nobody in the platoon, however they would always be late to combat as they'd take hours getting ready in the morning. They would also be too girly to dive into a foxhole if they were under fire. God forbid you let a woman drive a humvee or a tank.

No, women would be best employed in the mess hall serving meals; or in a nursery where their delicate feminine nature works best.

Great post, Lando!

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But we'd get to the battlefield faster because we'd actually ask directions.

19. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Well Russia has been invaded what 5 times in the last 200 years? they simply couldn't afford to be choosey, the USA has not been under the same pressure. I am actually surpised this passed officaly.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Tears. I'm in tears. I'm having a hard time typing this right now.

My response was pretty much the same as ASO's.

I'm glad you made this thread, Juliet.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but... Russian women.

Basically men.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Certainly less times than you fantasize ways to troll them. :)

Okay. I was just wondering as I heard the reason they weren't already was because of the combat rule.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Women's suffrage propaganda posters are ****ing hilarious.

[​IMG]

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think this a great achievement. Until I remember that I am anti-war. My best bet is to jump off of the bridge spanning both idealogies.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    That little girl's face is hilarious.