main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Women in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Minela, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The same reason he showed male Jedi being brutally killed. Order 66 was supposed to be brutal. If he'd shown ONLY female jedi being killed, then I could believe he was making a point about gender. I think the two women were more about token diversity in the Jedi Order. After all, it's not like there were prominent female Jedi in the films before the Empire took over. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we EVER hear a female Jedi speak, except for the uptight-librarian-stereotype lady.

And the blue twi'lek with the midriff was total fan-service.

2. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Well, Shaak-Ti speaks, if you consider the deleted scene on the ROTS bonus disk, and those younglings in AOTC; some of them were female, but everybody spoke in the group, so it's hard to determine who was speaking. And let's not forget that padawan female who says "Haaarrrgggh!" in the arena on Geonosis. And if you take the Clone Wars cartoons, Shaak-Ti and Adi Gallia speak.

But it would have been nice for them to actually say something, give their opinion in the movies. They were just there to fill empty space.

3. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    The same reason he showed male Jedi being brutally killed. Order 66 was supposed to be brutal. If he'd shown ONLY female jedi being killed, then I could believe he was making a point about gender. I think the two women were more about token diversity in the Jedi Order. After all, it's not like there were prominent female Jedi in the films before the Empire took over. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we EVER hear a female Jedi speak, except for the uptight-librarian-stereotype lady.

And yet, more JEDI females were shown being killed during the Purge than men. But . . . if you can't understand why Padme's character was marginalized during ROTS . . . then it's your problem and not mine.

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Hold on. I think the numbers were even. By my count:

Male Conehead.
    Female Twi'lek.
    Male whatever-Plo-Koon-is.
    Female on speeder bike.

Well, that's just the Order 66 montage. I forget whether the four Jedi Palpatine kills in his office are 3 male 1 female or 4 male. Nick Gilliard's cameo death is definitely a male, as is Lucas's son getting killed in front of Organa. And when Anakin goes to kill the younglings (god I hate that word), the only one to speak is a BOY.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    All of the Jedi that were with Mace were male.

6. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

What is the **** point to this thread?

No one seems capable of realizing that Padme's role in ROTS was marginalized for a reason. **** it. I'm not going to bother to explain. Someone will just think of some lame ass reason to dismiss it and continue to bitch about her "declining role" in the movie.

7. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    This is the kind of forum where generally, if you make a point about the SW movies, you'll be asked or expected to back it up with evidence FROM the movies. When the only evidence you cite in making your point is something that is factually inaccurate like "more Jedi females were shown being killed during the Purge than men", you're going to be called on it.

Don't just say "Padme is marginalized for a reason" without explaining the reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.