main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Womens Represenation in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakins_Fallen_Angel, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakins_Fallen_Angel

Anakins_Fallen_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2007
    Hi,
    I'm doing an essay for my A'Level Media, I've been asked to go out and collect other peoples theories if anyone would care to take a moment of their time and share theirs I'd be really grateful. All you have to write is your age, gender and answer. Basically its gathering other peoples opinions on women in the star wars movies.
    Thank You.

Do you think that over 30 years from Carrie Fisher being in Star Wars, to Natalie Portman, that the representation of women has changed at all?
    Yes/No

Could you Elaborate?

George Lucas created two strong, independent women roles, Padme Amidala and Leia Organa. Do you believe this had any impact in the movie business? For example normally women aren't associated with Sci-Fi Roles in films.
    Yes/No

Could You Elaborate?

Has the women's role in Star wars stayed continual? For example a strong role played by Carrie Fisher then overtaken by Natalie Portman. The difference however is Natalie Portman's character and untimely death. Do you notice any difference's?

How did the Characters and the actress's portrayal of the characters come across to you? Do you think it painted women in a positive light or a negative light?

With Natalie Portman, do you think she succeeded in moving away from being typecast as Padme Amidala for the rest of her career, has she defined herself as an actress with a number of genres to the public?

Same for Carrie Fisher?

Do you think that the Males of the Star Wars saga's were seen as Superior in the sense of over-shadowing the women in the end of the movies?

Basically what do you think about their roles?

Thank You Very Much!

Strilo edit: This really belongs in Saga, if they allow these homework type threads. I know SWC does not. Also, it's a bad idea to create the same thread in three forums. It's considered spamming.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hoo boy. Here comes the radical-feminist part of the TFN Prequels Forum.

You've opened a

[image=http://skugg.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/can-of-worms.jpg]

3. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003

Do you think that over 30 years from Carrie Fisher being in Star Wars, to Natalie Portman, that the representation of women has changed at all?

Yes. The only other female character that was widely popular aside from Leia was Wonder Woman who was portrayed by Linda Carter. Once people saw Princess Leia that all changed. The roles that women are in today are not what women were in back in the seventies and Carrie Fisher set that path. Natalie Portman more or less reminded us of that in my opinion.

George Lucas created two strong, independent women roles, Padme Amidala and Leia Organa. Do you believe this had any impact in the movie business? For example normally women aren't associated with Sci-Fi Roles in films.

It certainly did. Two years after Star Wars was released Alien came out and it featured Sigourney Weaver as Ripley battling an Alien. That movie was huge because it set a new standard for Sci-fi, it introduced a creature that is truly terrifying, and it also featured a heroin who was the main character. Leia opened the door for future women heroins and now two years later you have a movie in which the female is the center of everything. Fast forward to 1984 and we see Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in Terminator, another ground breaking Sci-fi film.

Has the women's role in Star wars stayed continual? For example a strong role played by Carrie Fisher then overtaken by Natalie Portman. The difference however is Natalie Portman's character and untimely death. Do you notice any difference's?

I believe George Lucas keeps the women role continual because both of his main female characters fight for what they believe in. In Revenge of the Sith, even though Padme is pregnant and not fighting in a Geonosis Arena she still stands up for what she believes in even when her and Anakin start to view what is happening differently. To me that is important for females today to remember because women have fought hard to be where they are today and it is important to stick to your beliefs. The differences are that Leia's character had a stronger impact because before her there was nothing. Leia's character did have a love story but she did not have to deal with the relationship strains that were on Padme so they both have their own trials and strengths that you can look at.

How did the Characters and the actress's portrayal of the characters come across to you? Do you think it painted women in a positive light or a negative light?

Since Star Wars women are even more equal than they were prior to its release. Female heroins in film are what they are today because of Princess Leia. I love Leia because she can be proper and then in the next instant she can crack her tongue like a whip. Carrie Fisher did splendidly and Natalie Portman the same because she was in Fishers shadow. If some girl wants to go play with her brothers or her guy friends that are into Star Wars she can play too because Star Wars has main characters that are females. You also have the PT female Jedi as well. GL is a genius because when Star Wars came out that is when women were really pushing for their rights and equality and he gave them a woman on the screen who was fighting too. Not only that but he included people of other races as well.

With Natalie Portman, do you think she succeeded in moving away from being typecast as Padme Amidala for the rest of her career, has she defined herself as an actress with a number of genres to the public?

Yes, she has taken on a variety of roles since Star Wars. As long as she continues to put out work and keep up her craft she will be fine.

Same for Carrie Fisher?

She did roles after Star Wars however Star Wars was the high point for her. We have yet to see with Portman but I think that already Portman has proven more versatility and flexibility in her career.

Do you think that the Males of the Star Wars saga's were seen as Superior in the sense of over-shadowing the women in the end of the movies?

Yes. I believe if you did a

4. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    To be fully honest, this is a bit above my level of English, also, I was not around in the 70's so it may be difficult to answer some question, but I will attempt to answer the ones I can.

As stated above, it's hard for me to answer :S

Same as above, though Trinity from The Matrix comes to mind, I am not sure if that is a direct effect of Star Wasr.

Gonna see if I get this question right...
    Leia and Padmé are two different characters and have two different roles. The old trilogy's story was centered around Luke, Han and Leia, with a bit more focus on Luke, still Leia was one of the main characters and the story was a lot about her. Padmé on the other hand is more of a support character, she plays the role of a love interest and a wife, and while she does play a big part in the story it is not centered around her, especially not in The Phantom Menace where you are mostly confused about her identity.

I most definitely think Star Wars put women in a positive light. Both characters are strong and do not fall into stereotypes as women in the action/Sci-Fi/adventure genre tend to do (every Bond girl in history comes to mind). Though neither of them is portrayed in a sexist way (except for the infamous gold bikini which was intentionally sexist) they still come across as interesting and feminine characters.

I think Natalie will always be associated with her role as Padmé, but just about every actor who has appeared in a Star Wars movie is more associated with that role than any other, including bigger names as Samuel L. Jackson and Alec Guinnes (spelling?). But she has very much proved to the public that she can act in other genres as well a few that come to mind are V for Vendetta, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and Goya's Ghost, all part of very different genres.

As for Carrie it's had for me to say, haven't had a chance to follow her career, but as it appears to me she is known better for her role in Star Wars than Natalie is.

Obvious question isn't it? Counting the female roles and counting the male roles I thik overshadowing is sort of an understatement, at least in number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.