main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA WONDER CON 2003

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Miss_Offee, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss_Offee

Miss_Offee Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2003
    Hi I was wondering if anyone was interested in going to this convention.

It will be held at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, April 25-27, 2003..Maybe we caan goet some people on the boards to go in costume? Sound fun?

Nellie

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'll definetly be going probably to help out with the Rebel Legion's table since SF Fan Force isn't in full swing and all. I've never been to one but it sounds really fun and interesting and hopefully I'll be able to drag some of my friends with me. lol Well Nellie, is it? I hope I'll see you there if not sooner. =)

3. squidichlorian

squidichlorian Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey guys:

I went to WonderCon for about three years in a row...one year I watched Lucasfilm's secret police descend on some guy who was allowing people to see/preorder figures that hadn't hit the market yet. It was very dramatic! (And a little unecessary, but I don't see eye2eye w/uncle george about that stuff. anyways...)

I think it's loads of fun to hit with your pals and a wad of $ - a great big wide-eyed geekathon! I love it! It's cool to have all your fave comic book shops condensed into a single arena. The only concern I've ever had is whether or not shops raise their prices for these shows when you could normally just walk into their stores and buy things more cheaply.

that said, I've never been disappointed, even with the size of the shows shrinking due to the economy's downturn.

With any luck, I'll be seeing you all there!
    Checking my calendar now..sq.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It should be fun, I been hearing a lot about it so I doubt I'll be disappointed. Maybe we can organize something for a day. I think that would be really fun. =)

5. tk721

tk721 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    The 501st and Rebel Legions will be there with fan tables. Make sure you swing by :)

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Will definetly set an intercept for the Rebel Legion's and 501st's table. You guys are awesome. I think I'll even suit up for this myself... Consideirng I am also a Rebel Legion member. :)

7. Scalper10-1138

Scalper10-1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2003
    Any Star Wars related guests gonna be there?

I would love to get some of my figures signed.

Thanks in advance

8. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I think I heard RA Salvatore will be there. (the author of Vector Prime, of the New Jedi Order series). I'll have to check around but I'll let you know if I hear something SW related for Wonder Con.

9. padme_skywalkr

padme_skywalkr Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2002
    I'll be there for sure. I am volunteering at Wonder Con plus I am helping out other bay area star wars clubs...I cant wait to meet you all :)

10. BizarreLoveTriangle

BizarreLoveTriangle Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2003
    I'm going with one of my girlfriends. I can't wait to meet those of you I haven't met. And a few of our members are volunteering at the con, too.

11. Scalper10-1138

Mar 3, 2003
    Any updates on Star Wars related guests that will be at WonderCon? Thanks

12. BizarreLoveTriangle

Feb 23, 2003
    There was a post earlier from a guy who has another fan club in the Bay Area, but I don't see it now. A Star Wars artist and a Star Wars author will both be at their tables.
    Does anyone know who that guy was? Hopefully he didn't change his plans cause that was where we were going to meet at Wondercon.
    Or maybe it was in a different topic, I'll check around.

13. tk721

tk721 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    Mike Quinn a.k.a. Nien Nunb and Yoda puppeteer will also be there. Not sure if he'll have his own table, but he'll be helping out at the Rebel Legion Fan table as he's a member of our local Base. :)

14. BizarreLoveTriangle

Feb 23, 2003
    EDIT: I deleted the post from Mikk as it was spam. One of the definitions of spam is posting a link to another website not associated with fanforce. Mikk used to be head of the South Bay Fanforce chapter yet on December 20th Mikk stated that it was probably best that the South Bay forum be deleted and their group had no intention of being a part of fanforce any longer. The former San Francisco Fanforce chapter also expressed that they would no longer be associated with fanforce. They have formed the SFSW. Fanforce also does not want any association with the SFSW, and links posted to their website will be promptly removed. Fanforce also will not advertise events for the SFSW. If you are going to an SFSW event, that is fine, but it will not be advertised on Fanforce. - MJF

I don't know why the post was removed, I'll ask Mara_Jade_Fan if she knows what happened. But it looks like that's where the Star Wars action will be at the con, and some of our future club members are actually volunteering at those tables! Mark Cotta Vaz will be signing books (I'm bringing my The Art of Star Wars), and Brandon McKinney will be doing sketches. Times T.B.D.,

This is going to be a great place to meet if you're interested in helping us form the Fan Force fan club.

But we will let you know the final details later, some of our people might have to work at that time. So after the volunteer schedule is up, we'll decide.

15. Miss_Offee

Feb 3, 2003
    Wow I find this interesting. So we can mention other club names but not their actual websites? I would like to get that clear because a lot of people on here are from groups like the 501st, Rebel Legion, Jedi Assembly, SFSW, SBFC as well as fan force fan force groups. I thought that these boards were about Star Wars and anything pertaining to that justas long as its not offensive.

Also I have noticed that people are posting their websites in their signature. Is that also considered spamming? I have read the rules but I would like a clarification. Thank you

16. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    It is fine to post links to other websites in your signature provided those websites do not contain language or other violations of the TOS. Links to the SFSW will not be allowed at all.

17. BizarreLoveTriangle

Feb 23, 2003
    Okay, well my link was to www.sbswfc.com, the people that have Star Wars programming at Wondercon (and no swearing!).

That SFSW thing should be in the terms of service. LOL! Seriously, it's not against the rules until it's in there. :D

18. Miss_Offee

Feb 3, 2003
    Thank you very much for the clarification. I do not want to get in trouble for any type of "spamming".

19. BizarreLoveTriangle

Feb 23, 2003
    Yes, there's too many hidden rules. And I was kidding earlier about the Terms of Service, but it's unfair to edit us for something that was never declared an "official rule".

I'm honestly confused and scared to break a rule just because I didn't know it was even a rule in the first place. :(

20. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Well now that you know the rules, please be sure to edit your own posts to remove the links to both South Bay and the SFSW clubs.

21. BizarreLoveTriangle

Feb 23, 2003
    I said it in the other thread about how Rox said it was okay, but let's skip all this nonsense and start having fun! :D
    Wondercon is going to be so fun. Is anyone going in costume? I have Padme's AOTC battle outfit (with the ripped shirt). I haven't decided if I want to wear that or my Bespin Princess Leia (with the poofy vest). There are 3 days, I guess I can do both!
    Is anyone else going in costume?

22. Cyonta

Cyonta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Links to the SFSW will not be allowed at all.

Sounds like somebody has something against this club...unstated rules all over the place. I understand why they left FanForce.

23. Padawan_Learner_Yoda

Padawan_Learner_Yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2002
    Here's the latest news:

www.comic-con.org/Pages/WCWhatsNew.html

WHERE: Moscone Center NORTH
    747 Howard St., San Francisco

WHEN: April 25, 26, 27, 2003
    ? Friday, April 25: 12:00-7:00 P.M.*
    ? Saturday, April 26: 10:00 A.M.-7:00 P.M.*
    ? Sunday, April 27: 11:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M.
    (*Added programming hours at the Argent Hotel Friday and Saturday nights, 8:00 P.M.-12:00 A.M.)

MEMBERSHIPS: $35.00/all 3 days; $15.00/1 day
    Children 12 and under FREE with paid Adult membership

Pre-registration will be available at Bay Area Comic Book Shops.

I went to one comic shop in Sunnyvale along El Camino earlier this week and they didn't have the pre-registration stuff. Has anyone seen anything yet?

24. Scalper10-1138

Mar 3, 2003
    If any of you guys have connections. Please! get some folks from the movies to sign. I would love to get some of my figures signed.

MTFBWY!

25. padme_skywalkr

padme_skywalkr Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2002
    WONDER CON WAS EXCELLENT! Thanks for everybody who came out there. Here are links to pics of the event:

http://www.vanecek.com/chanel/wc1.html
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/wc2003.htm
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/wc2003-2.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.