main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wonder of wonders: Many of the stabs at levity in TPM actually succeed

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by drg4, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Good calls.

I forgot about some of that opening humour.

"Have you ever encountered a Jedi Knight before?" Hehe.

I also enjoy the moment that Nute acknowledges Padme's on-screen appearance: "Your Highness, you come before us again." Listen to the way he says it; it's dripping in false cordiality. Silas Carson is one hell of an actor.

2. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Wait, the voice of Nute Gunray was Silas Carson as well? I thought he was just in the costume...

I also thought Qui Gon and Obi Wan were suprised that Padme was the queen on first viewing. I think I knew...

Another one:

"We are leaving...Jar Jar." He says this as Jar Jar is going against his orders and making a fool of himself making a mess of Watoo's shop. hehe So its almost as if Qui Gonn is really trying to say:

"We are leaving Jar Jar"

3. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    He did the voice as well.

4. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    He's really good then! Did he do the voice for Ki Adi Mundi too? Wow...If he did my respect for him really sky rocketted. I ehard his real voice and its nothing like Nute.

5. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    How about Obi Wan's, "Why do I sense we're picking up another passenger?" or something like that.

6. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    To the bad Chinese Take-Out accent of Nute Gunray.

I thought after all these years it was recognized that the Nemoidians accent was meant to be Transylvanian (Romania). You know count dracula sort of thing. Notice on Gunray's headress on the sides is a dracula like/nosferatu like emblem. Look carefully and you'll see (if not noticed before).

With regards to Qui Gon Jinn knowing who the real Queen was, the look back he gives Padme when he tells her "the Queen doesn't need know", caught my attention the first time, that he indeed knew who Padme really was. To me its so well done and priceless. Massive effort by Liam to capture that so brilliantly.

I also did like when Qui Gon grabs the device Jar Jar holds (in Watto's garage) and says "Don't touch anything!". Just one of several instances where GL is putting across that Jar Jar is indeed an irritant. Good show that! While at the same time, if not of Jar Jar getting into trouble with Sebulba, our heroes would have not even bothered there was this kid with abilities.

7. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes.

He also appears as the Radiant VII Pilot and Senator Lott Dod (but his voice was overdubbed by Tony Longworth for that role).

8. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I will have to look for the Nosferatu/Dracula emblems on Gunrays headdress. Is there a particular scene where they are really visable?

9. Cmndr_Thire

Cmndr_Thire Jedi Master

Jun 20, 2005
    Nice thread drg4, thanks :) What with all the stunning action/characters/storylines and locations I find its easy to forget just how much genuine comedy there is in TPM.

Of course everyone is not going to laugh at the same bits but theres plenty of variation to suit differing senses of humour, the mark of an all round excellent film some might say.

Personally I love the Ani/R2 dialogue during the space battle above Naboo, some priceless funny gems there :D

ANI- "Go back?! Qui-Gonn told me to stay in this cockpit and thats what I'm gonna do"

ANI - "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick"
    >ANAKIN rolls the ship as ARTOO screams desperately.<
    ANI - "I know we're in trouble! Hang on!"

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    "The negotiations were short."
    "Oh don't worry. This hasn't been our day for warm welcomes."
    When Jar Jar falls off the balcony after the Jedi land (during the saving of the Queen sequence)
    The failed mind trick on Watto.
    "I actually saved the pod... Mostly..."
    "Don't do that again."
    I like it when Jar Jar kicks kicked by the pit droid. *shrug*
    Likewise I like it when he lands on the turrent. It's when his lower jaw trembles really :p
    "No given up, general Jar Jar! Weesa think of something!" "Hands up!" "My give up! My give up!"
    During the parade, after everyone is at the reception area, Jar Jar kinda leans over to shake Tarpals enthusiastically. I like it.

I don't need to see him get kicked in the testicles or farted on every 5 minutes.

That was every five minutes? I suggest you see the movie I saw then. In this version, Jar Jar gets kicked once and is farted on once. Certainly not every five minutes. I feel the dramatic scenes in the senate and the duel might work better for you without the constant cutting away to see Jar Jar get kicked and farted on.

11. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Nice catch.

I remember people laughing at this one in the cinema, too.

12. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I love this one as well, mainly because of what it translates to... and if you replaced it with the English translation it's pretty funny. It's really fitting to his situation.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    One fart joke, one getting kicked in the junk joke and one poop joke. That's three bodily function type jokes too many. However you are right that it is not every five minutes.

14. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Oh I never said they were good. Well, aside from the crotch kick. I said I liked that one and I do.
    The poop one happens at a distance and while most certainly is crap, could just be any variety of goop found in the streets. Icky Icky Goo does have an open translation afterall. But yes, it's probably meant to be crap. But, it happens at a distance just as the scene is about to move on. Shrug, and get over it.
    The crotch kick is realy a blink and you miss thing. At least with me. It had to be pointed out as I was concentrating more on Anakin's lines.
    The fart joke is very bizzare. It adds nothing to the plot or JarJar's character. In most other instances, Jar Jar is in some way the cause of his calamity. With the fart, he's just minding his own business when an animal decides to fart on him. [You know, typing that out was the first time I ever laughed at the joke. I think I need help.] OK, That's very odd, very random, has little to do with Binks and nothing to do with this great podrace that is being set up. Then of course you get a very overplayed reaction from Binks. Not just peeyoosa. Not just a shaking of his head. Not just a look of disgust. Already that's overdoing it. But also a massive flaying of limbs and a thrown tool. Too big of a reaction to an unfunny joke. So, if the joke even managed to somehow be funny, the overreaction killed it. And no, I don't consider myself to high class to laugh at a fart joke. This one just wasn't funny.
    Can you believe it was originally longer?
    Another bad side effect of the joke. If the eopie can fart, it's presumed it has an anus. Yet cutting the the splendid shot of the animal's rump (WHY!?), we see no anal opening. Where did the fart come from? This, my friends, is a PLOT HOLE.

15. Bisrossk

Bisrossk Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2006
    God, I thought you guys were being sarcastic at first. Even my little cousins didn't find this movie funny.

16. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    "Fighters Straight ahead!"

"Roger Bravo leader."

In the midst of being swarmed by a hundred fighters:

"Roger Bravo Leader!!!"

17. DARTHCLANDESTINE

May 17, 2005
    Here it is, top left :):

[image=http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5563/nutedracula6fg.png]

18. JamanMosil

JamanMosil Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2004
    Gotta admit, I laughed for the first time at that joke as I read that...thanks a lot. ;)

And I agree that TPM has the best humor of the three PT films - ROTS has a little humor in the beginning...but not too many great lines. And AotC...well, I don't mind the 3PO lines that much, but there's no real classics. TPM has Nute(always makes me smile), Watto(every one of his lines is awesome) and young Obi-Wan(what happened to him as he grew older??).

The only parts of TPM I don't much like is the fart joke - really pointless - and Anakin acting stupid in the cockpit of the Naboo fighter - was that supposed to be funny?

19. r2decaf

r2decaf Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2006
    I absolutely love Watto and he amuses me greatly. Besides the "I hope you didn't kill anyone I know" line, I love the "Maybe you can help me with some deadbeats..." line in AOTC. I think he's one of the more "human" and comical characters of the PT.

I know it's not TPM, but I'm probably the only person who actually thought 3PO in the AOTC arena was funny. I think some of the best PT humor is found within the opening ROTS sequence. That first half hour may be one of my favorite opening sequences in the whole saga...I think it's quite entertaining and at times very amusing.

TPM alone, though...I can't think of anything that stands out as being particularly funny, except that I enjoy any Watto scenes, and I do like Anakin's character. I think Jake did a great job and he's portrayed as a real kid so he's kind of funny in that innocent yet wise way that kids often are.

20. MasterZalaSenka

MasterZalaSenka Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2006
    Due to the fact that I saw TPM when I was about ten or so, I thought the movie was hilarious, especially Jar Jar! The part where he's flying around on that AAT gun turret cracks me up every time! And the bongo scenes are hilarious too. As a kid, the fart joke was funny to me, as was the part where he gets his tongue zapped. And the podracing scenes were stunning. I'd never seen anything like that before. I'll always love TPM. It was the first Star Wars movie for me.

I LOVE JAR JAR BINKS! [face_peace]

21. DARTHCLANDESTINE

May 17, 2005
    I'll always love TPM. It was the first Star Wars movie for me.

I'll always love TPM although ESB was my first SW movie :cool:

22. JAWA64

JAWA64 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 20, 2006
    " The negotiations were short"
    The bongo scenes
    " I give up. I give up."
    " This hasn't been our day for warm welcomes"
    Jabba pushes a small animal off a tall balcony
    A gungan guard zaps Jar Jar with his staff.
    One podracer says "argharew" or something before blowing up
    "Now there are two of them!"
    "I actually saved the pod... mostly"
    Blast doors fail again
    Gungans push down deactivated droids
    "Stay in that cockpit."

It's not in TPM but the line, "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be the death of me?" Is very funny to me.

23. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Anakin acting stupid in the cockpit of the Naboo fighter - was that supposed to be funny?

Well no. But it wasn't supposed to be serious either. It's a 9 year old prodigy caught up in a dogfight. I felt he acted accoardingly. Course, I also played a lot of video games as a kid.
    A lot of people don't like the way lil Annie was portrayed. I thought it was damn refreshing. One of my movie pet peeves would be kids acting way too mature/smart for their age.
    One of the biggest culprits that comes to mind is that kid in Jurassic Park 3.
    Also many kids' movies and kids' shows (cartoon and otherwise) are really awful about this.
    It's like people know how to write kiddie humor, but not kids themselves.
    So, I really found Anakin refreshing and didn't get hung up on 'OMG a kid!? Oh woe!' as I figured he was going to evolve into an older character later.
    So no. If you found humor in the scene, great. But I don't think it was set up to be a comedic showcase so much as a whirlwind action sequence.

24. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    You've made a fine point. I remember everyone complaining that Anakin wasn't the kid from The Sixth Sense. That he acted like a goof. Well the truth is he acted like a real 9 year old. Something rarely, if ever seen in movies. All too often children are portrayed as little adults. Lucas actually dared to show us, not a troubled child battling with Darkness (all that would come later), but a funny, and all too innocent little boy who you would never imagine could be Vader in a million years.

25. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Strilo edit: Pretty much this whole post breaks the Fans/Films rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.