main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Wonder Woman' Discussion and Speculation

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Paradise in Naboo, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Here's where we can talk about Joss Whedon's upcoming film adaptation of the classic DC Comics character. Feel free to talk about who should play Wonder Woman, how Joss should approach the project and any new tidbits of information.

The latest news, from a post Joss made to the fan site Whedonesque, is that he's finished and turned in the script:

Of course, that's a pretty vague statement, but it tells us that the project is moving along. If Joel Silver and WB like the script, then we'll probably see Wonder Woman before Goners.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Wasn't that the plan?

WW then Goners.

Either way I've never come up with anyone other then the usual suspects for WW. Evangeline Lilly is a favorite of mine.

3. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Evangeline Lilly?? I hadn't thought of that. You know....that is actually not a bad choice.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Wow, if Joss is doing it, the thing may have a fighting chance.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would not want a superheor movie of WW. In the late 80's George Perez did a great new origin story for WW which was much more myth story than superhero. I want to see a high-fantasy story of Greek mythology: WW+Excalibur+Clash of the Titans(with beter special effects). Something like that.

6. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    THis movie alone will get alot of guys going. Especially if they get the right lady.

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think thats the treatment its getting here as well. Thats what the early reports I've heard have said. Really play up the myth angle, tell it as a comming of age story ala Buffy.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Joss Wheldon is overrated

I`d like to see who plays Wonder Woman,personally I hope Ginnifer Goodwin gets the part

9. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    Yeah, that Wheldon guy is a hack. Whedon on the other hand... ;)

10. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    Never heard of her. What has she been in before?

Not that the geezer demographic makes a difference, but for those of us who remember the Tv Show...They will be hard pressed to find an actress that can fill Lynda Carter's boots.....

or Bustier for that matter.

11. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    Ginnifer Goodwin played Johnny Cash's first wife in Walk the Line. She's a good actress, but she is totally wrong for this role.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    As much as I enjoy the old TV series I hope we get some one very, very different from Carter.

13. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    Oh I agree.....She wasn't a great actress by any stretch of the means....but Her Physique and face are pretty much the standard. I guess much in the way Christopher Reeve will always be associated with the definitive version of Superman *R.I.P.*

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No, I meant in terms of physique and face as well. She was very fitting for the time, just not this time.

Reeve on the other hand... Routh is like channeling him, its almost freaky in some of the new footage how many of his mannerisms that Routh is continuing on.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Hmm... a Wonder Woman film. Whedon certainly wouldn't be my choice for the script, though, but we'll have to see how it all plays out.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I don't know, Whedon seems tailor made for a WW movie. My only concern is that it would end up being too Buffy-ish.

BTW it isn't just script, he is directing as well.

17. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    I know that Eliza Dushku expressed some interest. What do you think of her? I know she was in buffy...but she may be able to pull that off.

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`m hoping someone unknown gets the role

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Thank you for leading in to what I was going to post anyways :)

There have been alot of Buffy/Whedon-verse alums mentioned as possibilities. Dushku, Baccarin, Charisma, and even Gellar just to name a few. Rumor was that Charisma wanted it so bad she sent in an unsolicited tape with her in full WW get-up. Didn't go over to well and combined with her Playboy spread she may be out of the running.

Maybe its just a precieved thing on my part but Whedon seems pretty faithful to his actors. I could see any one of them in the role but each have their own draw backs. Dushku doesn't have enough umph for it IMO. I love her for the most part but I just can't see her in the role. Baccarin is a little closer but still doesn't quite do it for me. Charisma is very much in the Carter vein but like I said I want to see them go a different route.

I still like Lily. Emma Caulfield would also be an excellent choice (if we're still going Buffy alum).

I don't think that WW needs an unknown. Its not Anakin Skywalker, its not Superman. I think any actress out there could pull it off and do well enough.

20. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    From what I've seen around the net, the fan favorite to take on the role seems to be Morena Baccarin, who played Inara in Firefly and Serenity. I'd really love to see her get the role, but Joss will probably pick an unknown. He's had a great track record with untapped talent so far.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This cannot be Buffy in a Wonder Women outfit, or a Xena in a WW outfit. I want it taken seriously.

22. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Well IMO "Buffy in a WW outfit" would be taking it seriously. More likely then not thats what were getting. Even if its nothing like it people will still draw the parallels 'til the end of time.

23. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    Have you ever actually watched Buffy? I don't think there's ever been a more complex portrayal of a female superhero in any medium than Buffy. Watch an episode like "The Body" or "The Gift" and then try to tell me otherwise. If anyone knows how to treat a character like Wonder Woman seriously, it's Joss.

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I've always thought that Wonder Woman should be played by Nadia Bjorlin

She's best known from "Days of our Lives." She's not only drop dead gorgeous (1/2 Swedish 1/2 Persian,) but she can act. She's curvey, tall, and athletic as opposed to skinny, which traditionally, IMO is how Wonderwoman should look.

Here's a pic I manipped of her in Linda Carter's body to see how she'd look in costume. :p

25. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    She looks kind of like Alex Ross' drawings of Wonder Woman. I haven't seen her act, though. Is she still on "Days of our Lives"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.