main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA WONDERCON 2008 - Feb. 22 - 24

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I brought this up at the last meeting because I've already received the application for a table. This next one may be a little different though. I'll also be submitting an applicationn for a table for the Rebel Legion to be right next to us. This means that some of us might not be able to cover as many shifts as SFFF as we would like, as we are also members of Rebel Legion.

So I'm asking everyone again to PLEASE sign up for at least one hour during the weekend. I know there were some that didn't even work the table, while others signed up at the last minute, cancelled, or a combination of both. We need to be organized and well staffed to make this club promotion work. Remember, this is at the beginning of the year, and it's the event where we get the most recognition from the public, so let's step it up a notch, guys! I know we can do it!

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/

RSA Edit: UN-Stickied! :)

2. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    You know you can count on me to work the table! I hope we'll have updated T-Shirts to go with our new Banner and business cards.

3. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    I think a big change should be the layout or design of our space. We have allot and the table takes up too much. We should look into getting or building a much more narrow table. Also, for our flyers and other handouts, we should get Brochure Holders such as :
    http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=205&

This way, the paper stays in one place and not all over the table. Plus , when people take a flyer, they are less inclined to put it back and take it with them. ( that's what a BA in Marketing yields you )

And the back racks with items on them need to be arranged a little more so that no ones stuff is just laying on it.

It look good this year ( better than our neighbor booth), but I think we can do more.
    We still have some time to plan this out, so we can rock it this next year.

Just a thought.

4. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I know the holders you are talking about Lou and they work really well. We use them when we do fairs for the bug program. I agree we can do more to improve how the space is layed out. Matt, as for staffing the table, you know you can count on me.

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I agree, the plexi racks would be good. I think we need to get an idea of how many fliers we usually end up having. It might be good to have the multi-tiered style in addition to a free standing one. It is hard to predict the size, type and number of fliers that end up being part of our table sometimes. I just hope the ones TAP sells are cheaper than Staples. ;)

As for the size of our table at the booth - is bringing our own table and ditching the one the convention gives us an option? I'd also be concerned if the table was narrower, we wouldn't have room for Yoda, TV, display rack for fliers - etc.

I think an idea for the back shelves could be putting some kind of closed bins on the lower shelves that are used for storage rather than display. The bins should be opaque (not open or see through).

The bins under the table were a huge help last year too. Our space was much cleaner than past years!

If we have a raffle again, I think Alison and I figured it would be a good idea to actually hand back people a little slip of paper bullet pointing how to claim your prize. I literally overheard a guy walk by, see the winning number we'd posted, and assumed he missed the raffle and was a loser saying 'oh, we missed the drawing already.' Also, asking people to put their cell phone number on the back of the ticket they drop in so we can call them if their number is chosen.

I know Gail mentioned it would be nice to have our sign hanging more forward in our booth (like above the table rather than the back of the wall). I just know this would require us building a rigging that was high and wide and stable enough to hang the banner from. It would need to be high enough so people could still see back to the displays on our back wall. I know I don't have time to build such a structure. I don't know if anyone else here is handy enough and would want to take that on. We might be better off for now keeping it simple and hanging the banner on the back wall as usual.

6. Ms_Skywalker

Jun 17, 2005
    Kathy - you have excellent memory. Yes, I really think our banner should be more visible. I will make sure DarthVader79 helps me with this structure. We should discuss this at our next meeting so we can coordinate. I'll need to figure out the dimensions etc. I can go to home depot and have them knock this out I'm sure.

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    The table they give us is what we have to use. Also, the idea of hanging the banner in front may depend on how we are connected to the Rebel Legion table, and/or our location. The idea of power this time can may be split up with Rebel Legion members, using a TV for both booths. Lou, if you can get that plasma screen still, that would make us look really professional!

Dale brought up the idea of maybe a digital frame to show a slideshow of our past events, as opposed to a laptop.

For the banner, I originally was going to hang our SFFF jerseys from the two bottom holes, just to advertise merchandise. The idea for plexi holders for the flyers is good as well. For the raffle, we can do it for Cure Autism Now again. I still have the pamphlets they gave, and I'll contact sponsors for prizes again. The ideas for improving the raffle are good guys, keep 'em coming! :)

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, it looks like Master Replicas declined my reques to donate prizes for the raffle. :(

I'll try Sideshow Collectibles again. [face_praying]

9. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hey, at least you tried!

10. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Its because MR knows they will be able to sell off all their star wars stuff. Guess we will have to make friends with whoever gets it next year.

11. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    I can see if I can check out a digital projector for the weekend from school an a DVD player. I know we have a few.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Lou, do you think using a projector would be visible under the convention's lighting, and wouldn't we need a screen? I'm just wondering how that might work with people manning the table, as in would people getting up and sitting down all the time affect the projection.

Didn't you say you could possibly get a 42" flat screen? Maybe just a large flat screen computer monitor, with a portable DVD player connected? I think the smaller/more compact we have things, the better for the table.

13. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    You're right. The projector will not work. I can still check on the TV. I'm just worried about leaving it there overnight through the weekend. If it's jacked...then I'm jacked. I also have a display set up from All Star weekend that was left over. What is the size of the space we get? This will be super cool to have and will work well with the banner and stand above the others.

14. Ms_Skywalker

Jun 17, 2005
    Whhooooddiiiihooo!

I'm so excited that we may have a nicer set-up this time [face_dancing]

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I just got a letter confirming that we got our table for WonderCon. :)

We'll know more like where we'll be located, floor plans, etc. in the coming weeks.

16. BBQMASTER

BBQMASTER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    I'm flying up there for Wondercon this yar. Do you have any great idea's on how I should get me armor up there?

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I've never had experience flying armor anywhere. Have you asked your garrison, Dennis? Otherwise, you could post on ours:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/phpBB2/

18. NivekSkywalker

NivekSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    did anyone get their wondercon tickets yet? how about comic con?

19. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Essentially, yes for WonderCon and I booked my Comic-Con tix a looooooooong time ago on-line just in case it would sell out so fast like last year - as you can see on the Comic-Con thread.

20. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    Let me tell you about my experiences with flying armor. This one time in bandcamp, a thermodetonator exploded about 3 yards away from a group of troopers. There was armor flying all over.

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I might as well start a sign-up thread for the table. Once again, I'm asking everyone attending to at least work one hour during the 3 days. Dale and I will take the first and last shifts each day, and I'd like to have two people per shift (it just looks better). Last year, I noticed some people who hung out at the table who didn't sign up for shifts, who could've easily worked the table! :mad: :oops: It's not fair to those stuck at the table to not enjoy the convention as much as those wandering around the whole day who could easily take over for an hour or two. [face_shame_on_you]

Here are the times of the convention:

FRIDAY, FEB. 22 (12 - 7)

SATURDAY, FEB. 23 (10 - 7)

SUNDAY, FEB. 24 (11 - 5)

The programming schedules are still being worked on, and the shifts won't be finalized until the February meeting. For now, put what shifts you'd like to work, and we'll finalize them next month. Remember, some of us will be working both the SFFF and Rebel Legion tables, so we really need bodies in those seats!

22. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    Matt, I will give 1 badge to erick and he said to sign him up for a shirt saturday and sunday in the morning.

23. Ms_Skywalker

Jun 17, 2005
    Count me in for Saturday, Feb 23 from 3-4

24. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    Also, I am giving one to Charles so you need to talk to him about his shift. Bryan and Kris are not coming up from LA for this con.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Eva, I think whoever you get badges for should give (in writing) a promise to work the tables for a minimum amount of hours over the course of that weekend. This of course will be discussed at the meeting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.