main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA WONDERCON - March 2 - 4, 2007

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    The prizes are all 12" limited edition figures from Sideshow Collectibles: Anakin (ROTS), Obi-Wan (ROTS) and Qui-Gon (TPM). Click on the figures on the right here for more info (the Qui-Gon is an Exclusive version, meaning it has an extra accessory the regular version doesn't - in this case, his Tatooine poncho):

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=starwars&source=leftnav&kw=STAR_WARS

2. Dolfinz

Dolfinz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2005
    Matt, since Alison can't do the 3-4 slot on Sunday that I requested in a previous post, can you just move Andrea down there too? Less confusing that way :)

3. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Lou, if you're attending the whole duration of the con (including set-up night), are you still willing to take video like we talked about?

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Kathy - I've got a very old version of Photoshop (like 5.0 or something), but I know nothing about using it to do any nice graphics stuff. (But hey, I can create very professional journal-article grade data plots, so to each their own I guess. ;))

So what I'm thinking, based on discussion above - how about I create the smaller 8.5x11" text version with all the details to go on the table, and someone else can do a larger eye-catching graphics sign to go above (wall, shelf?) somewhere? Do we have some sort of stand we can put the text version on (so that it's reclining up rather than sitting flat on the table)? I was also thinking that medium labels for each prize could be stuck on the front of their box stand, stating the day the item is being auctions. I can do those as well. I'll try to work on these Fri night or Sat and post the results.

Kathy, about boxes... if you have some of the proper size, that would be absolutely fabulous and would save me hunting for some of the right size and uniformity. Maybe I could swing by to pick them up either in an evening on my way home from work or sometime this weekend? (Alternatively, I'm pondering fabric shopping at Fabrics R Us for muslin this weekend, for example, if you wanted to meet up elsewhere.)

Matt
    - thanks for the measurements and the outline for information!

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Alison - I'll send you an e-mail. I have an idea how we can coordinate making the table sign.

Matt- I'm filling out the proposal to e-mail to CAN for our fund raiser (all that info was available on their web site). I'll CC you on it. They may be able to send us some brochures to hand out at our table, and a higher resolution image of their logo to include on our signs promoting the raffle. Hopefully it isn't too late to get their official support :)

Regarding the 12" figures:
    Which one is considered most desirable by fans? In other words, which figure should be given out on Saturday (the big day) Sunday (probably the second biggest day) and Friday? Alison will need to put that info on the sign.

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    A few more raffle questions!

Donations:
    So we can't specify on the signs how much the donations should be for the tickets? Can it be an unwritten rule then that if someone chooses to donate 10 dollars, they will get ten tickets. If someone donates 1 dollar or less, they will get one ticket? I just think if someone gives more, they should also have better odds of winning :)

I was reading through the info at the CAN web site, and checks can also be mailed to CAN. So, perhaps we can state that people can make a 'cash or check donation'? Checks must be made payable to "Cure Autism Now".

Size of figure boxes
    Are the figure boxes 5" wide and 7.5" deep? Or is the front of the box 7.5" wide? If they are 7.5" wide and our shelf is only 17 " wide... then our figures all lined up are wider than the shelf (7.5 x 3 = 22.5 inches. shelf is only 17").

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, for clarification on the raffle, here's an e-mail I received:

Hi Matt,

You would just need to make sure the raffle complies with local and state ordinances. I know that California requires that a donation not be required for the ticket. If someone wants one, but doesn?t want to give you a dollar you have to give them a ticket. WonderCon requires that you do the drawing and post the winners. We don?t allow you to do the raffle at a set time. It creates too much of a crowd control issue.

Sincerely,
    Justin
    --
    Justin Dutta
    Exhibits Manager
    Comic-Con International
    justin@comic-con.org
    (619) 414-1020

As to the measurements of the shelf, I made a typo. It's actually 27 1/2" wide (not 17") x 15" deep. The figures are 7 1/2" wide and 5" deep.

Regarding which figure is most popular/valuable - I coudn't say. Among all three, the Qui-Gon is the only Exclusive Edition, which may make it more valuable, but Anakin would be a more popular character, with Obi-Wan second, so I couldn't say. But I do know that they are all limited edition and are now SOLD OUT! As for the raffle, maybe we could say to come back at a set time to see if you've won, and if it hasn't been claimed, post another ticket an hour later, perhaps?

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for clarification on the shelf and box sizes.

RE: Drawing Times/Winners
    Wow, Wondercon makes it tricky! We can't do the raffle at a set time. I don't think it will work to tell people to come back after 4:00 and then pick another name if that person doesn't show up at 4:00. That violates Wondercon's rules of having a set time for crowd control. You'd be telling people to hang around too long to wait to see if we can choose a new name an hour later.

I think it is fair to say something like 'the winner's name will be posted after 4:00 pm. Winner must be present between 4:00pm and closing time the day of the raffle to claim their prize at the SFFF table. If the winner does not claim their prize by the end of the day, they will forfeit their prize.' We should probably bring some poster board and a big marker and tape - and see if we can post the winners name above the prize display?

If someone doesn't check back at our table that evening and actually forfeits the prize on Friday, we can then opt to give out two prizes to two new winners on Saturday. It kind of isn't our problem if someone who has paid for raffle tickets (or asked for a free one) fails to show up to check to see if they won that night.

--------------------

Re: Donations
    Ah, then I guess we can just slightly alter the wording to say something like 'We would appreciate a donation to Cure Autism Now'
    --------------

Hum, Anakin is a popular character for sure. His figure is also more valuable than Obi-wan's. So I'd kind of think he should probably be the Saturday prize. Obi-Wan Sunday, Qui-Gon Friday?

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    That all sounds great, Kathy. Maybe write the winning number on the back of the sign for the particular figure for that day, and turn it around once we pick one.

10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Tricky indeed! I think that Kathy's idea makes sense given the constraints.

Given that winners must be posted rathert than announced, I think this will mean yet another sign... we could make up (for example) a "Saturay Charity Auction Winner:___ " sign ahead of time and then write in the winning number and post it prominently. I can take care of these signs as well, unless someone else wants to.

Kathy, let me know whether your riser boxes will fit with these dimensions; if not, we can think about other presentation alternatives.

Matt, just out of curiosity, are these going on a top shelf? Or is there a shelf/ceiling above them, meaning we would have a height constraint to keep in mind?

Oh - I also agree with the unwritten rule for ticket number.

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, I'm not envisioning that. If you mean write the number and name on the little signs that say 'friday, saturday, Sunday' I don't think it will be big enough for people to read as they walk by. That's why I was thinking post something larger above the display after the winner has been drawn?

Oh, or make the big hanging sign 2 sided! Is that what you mean? So we can turn it around after 4:00. It can also be pre-printed to read "Raffle Winners" with Friday, Saturday, Sunday and spaces for the name & numbers to be written in with a felt marker. Well, if that is what you mean it is a good idea! I will make the hanging sign like that :) With extra space in case we have 2 winners on Saturday or Sunday ;)

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Alison, see our idea above for flipping the big sign around at 4:00 :) It can then be flipped back to 'enter our raffle' the next morning! Since I'm making the big sign, I'll just make it double sided.

I'm pretty sure at the meeting Matt said these will be on the top shelf, no height constraints.

Yeah, I don't see why if someone donates 10 dollars we can't just give them 10 tickets. zero - one dollar = one ticket.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Um, yeah, that's what I meant about the sign, Kathy. :p

Alison, yes, the figures will be on a top shelf, with about 200 feet or so of clearance above it. ;)

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Hm. I like the idea of fewer physical signs to deal with. My only thought against that is that by turning the eye-catching sign around at 4pm, we lose our long distance/eye catching advertising of the raffle for the rest of that day. *shrug* People might still be interested in purchasing tickets for the next day, or might see the auction and think about coming back the next morning to participate.

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I thought of that. But our space might be kind of limited. So flipping the sign is kind of efficient. I would make the back of the sign have nice bold colored type reading "Raffle Winners" "Proceeds donated to Cure Autism Now". I still think that will get people's attention. And it will also have blank spaces for "Saturday" and "Sunday" typed on it, so I think people wandering by in the evening will still get the message - we are holding a raffle each day.

Plus we will still have your sign in plexi on the table :)

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Some startling news:

As of today, after the changes that were requested to the first shift list, there are 17 table shifts NOT filled! [face_shame_on_you] That's like an entire day's worth! I will be posting an updated shift list on Monday night, and a final one Wednesday afternoon.

I know there are people that were at the meeting who haven't signed up yet, as well as members who weren't at the meeting who have yet to sign up for a shift, and then there are some that I don't even know if they're even going to make it to WonderCon.

Let the panic set in.... :oops:

Here's what's available:

FRI:

1-2 pm (2 slots)
    2-3 pm (2 slots)
    3-4 pm (1 slot)
    5-6 pm (1 slot)

SAT:

12-1 pm (2 slots)
    2-3 pm (1 slot)
    3-4 pm (1 slot)
    4-5 pm (1 slot)
    6-7 pm (1 slot)

SUN:

12-1 pm (1 slot)
    1-2 pm (2 slots)
    2-3 pm (2 slots)

Remember, once you take a shift, you will be expected to keep it, and Wednesday at noon will be the last chance for changes.

17. jedizoe

jedizoe Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    Hey matt I got your message tonight. If you need some one for Sunday that would be cool Oh yeah and Friday!! I'm down!!! just let me know what times you would need someone. I still need to get tickets though. :( I get payed that friday so yeah not to sure what to do.Just give me a call.;) and I will give you a ring back! thanks hun

~ASh

18. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Oy. Who would have thought that finding boxes of the right size to be mini-riser-stands for our raffle prizes would be so difficult??:oops: I searched high and low both at work and at home, running around with a measuring tape to measure some of the most unlikely candidates. Most are either too long (over 9") or too short. Here are the few possible options I've found that may work:

South Beach Diet dinner boxes - these are 8.5 x 6.5 x 1.75" - a really good size. They're not terribly strong, though, so we would have to stick something inside to reinforce their strength.

Krusteaz muffin mix boxes - 7.5 x 5.5 x 1.5" - these still have the mix in them so they're solid enough. But the length is the same as the prize boxes themselves. Do you think it's ok if it just fits and the riser isn't wider than the box being displayed?

(I guess the plan, once we have the box, is to cover it with black paper.)

19. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    What size boxes do you guys need? I've got a bunch lying around here of various sizes...

20. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Don't they have small boxes for free at the post office that could possibly be used?

21. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Hah. They used to have boxes for free at the post office. I checked there today, and now you have to pay for them; at least you do at the branch I was at. At $2.39 a box, I was rather offended and opted not to give them my money because it's so ridiculous. (I mean, hello...? For a small box??? These were some brand box; they didn't seem to provide the old USPS priority mail boxes anymore. Yet another cost-cutting measure I suppose.)

Dolfinz - we're looking for boxes that have the following dimensions:

length: at least 7.5" but no more than 9". Somewhere around 8-8.5" would be great.
    width: at least 5", and a little more would be nice.
    height: no specific requirement... anywhere from 1.5-5" would probably work.

22. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    I have 2 boxes that are about 8.5" long, just about 5" wide, and 3" tall, and I could easily get a third if you guys need three. They're Special K snack bites boxes, so they'd need to be coverered in paper, but I think you were planning on that anyway... Let me know if you need them (and the third) :)

23. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    FYI - I still have room to add a guest or 2 to the 501st Dinner Friday Night. So please PM me if you want to go, so I could RSVP your name to the GGG list.

"Come, good food, come..." [face_mischief]

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Here's the updated shift list (we still need more people to step up):

FRI:

12-1 MATT/DALE
    1-2 DONNA/ANDREA
    2-3 ASHLEY/JOSH(?)
    3-4 KATHY/(open)
    4-5 KATHY/ANNE W.
    5-6 LOU/(open)
    6-7 MATT/DALE

SAT:

10-11 MATT/DALE
    11-12 LOU/ERICK
    12-1 (open)/(open)
    1-2 RACHEL/ANNE M.
    2-3 ALISON/(open)
    3-4 ALISON/(open)
    4-5 EVA(w/Angelica)/(open)
    5-6 ROBERT/ANNE M.
    6-7 DONNA/(open)
    SUN:

11-12 MATT/DALE
    12-1 RACHEL/(open)
    1-2 (open)/(open)
    2-3 ASHLEY/(open)
    3-4 DONNA/ANDREA
    4-5 MATT/DALE

The FINAL list will be posted at 12 noon on WEDNESDAY.

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Dolfinz - if it wouldn't be too much of an imposition, that would be fabulous. Or I could pick up the third box at the store so you don't have to go buy another one. Are these sturdy enough to hold the figures? Also, when would we be able to get them from you? I think we needed to have them up all put together for the table before things open Friday.

I finally found boxes the right size in lab, and highly sturdy - from Fisher, for glass pipets. The catch - only have two of them. :oops:

Hm, but if I were to use those two, and pick up one of the special K boxes, then we wouldn't have to coordinate getting boxes from you, Dolfinz... [face_thinking] Let me stop at the store on the way home to see what I can find, and get back to you later this evening.

I did find a post office that still had out their priority boxes, but based on comparison with a piece of paper I think the small ones are actually a bit too long to be able to fit three on a shelf. (I'm telling you, boxes seem to jump from 7.5 up to 9.5", with few in between. It's a conspiracy.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.