main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA WONDERCON - March 2 - 4, 2007

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolfinz

Dolfinz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2005
    Let me know if you figure it out, otherwise I'm happy to give you three boxes sometime Wednesday evening

2. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I'm coming to Wondercon on Saturday!! My friend from work might come along...

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Good to know. Can you work a table shift? I need to know by noon on Wednesday.

4. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Matt, I could cover from 1-2 on Sunday as well, if that helps.

5. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I've got boxes! [face_dancing]=D= Digging through the recycling stack in lab, I finally found one more box that is in the right size range. It's a bit taller than the two pipet boxes, but I think that will be ok. We can put the tall one in the center and the two identical ones on either side.

Thanks, Dolfinz, for the offer of boxes!

6. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    Glad you got it all worked out! :)

7. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Here is the raffle sign for the table. It's a pdf file, so you'll need acrobat reader to view it. The print-out will go inside a plexiglass stand on the table. Thanks to Kathy for a ton of suggestions, proofreading and general assistance! :)

Ack! I just caught another typo. I'm such a bad speller! :( Ok, it's fixed now.

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Looks great!

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    FINAL TABLE SHIFT SCHEDULE:

FRI - MAR. 2:

12 - 1 MATT/DALE
    1 - 2 DONNA/ANDREA
    2 - 3 ASHLEY/JOSH
    3 - 4 KATHY/(open)
    4 - 5 KATHY/ANNE W.
    5 - 6 LOU/(open)
    6 - 7 MATT/DALE

SAT - MAR. 3:

10 - 11 MATT/DALE
    11 - 12 LOU/ERICK
    12 - 1 (open)/(open)
    1 - 2 RACHEL/ANNE M.
    2 - 3 ALISON/(open)
    3 - 4 ALISON/(open)
    4 - 5 EVA (w/Angelica)/(open)
    5 - 6 ROBERT/ANNE M.
    6 - 7 DONNA/(open)

SUN - MAR. 4:

11 - 12 MATT/DALE
    12 - 1 RACHEL/(open)
    2 - 3 ASHLEY/(open)
    3 - 4 DONNA/ANDREA
    4 - 5 MATT/DALE

No more changes now. If you need to, or will be running late, please contact someone to fill in for you, or make arrangements to switch. Then make sure you change it on the shift list posted at the table. Try to get there about ten minutes before your shift, so you can learn how to answer questions about the club, the raffle, the One Man Star Wars Trilogy, know how to change the programming and operate the DVD player, etc.

Also, don't forget:

-to bring $$$ for the banner

-to keep any personal belongings hidden from view (there will be an empty bin under the table)

-if you have things that don't have to be there, put it in your car

-to keep the table area clean, neat and organized (throw away your trash!)

-keep an eye on things at the table that might get damaged or stolen

-no more than 3 people behind the table at any time

-try to keep the walkway in front of the table as clear as possible

-if you're not in costume, wear your SFFF shirt while at the table

If anyone would like to help set up late Thursday afternoon, let me know. Some of us will be going to the Cat Club (Folsom & 8th Sts.) at 9 pm for 80's Night as well. The cover charge is $3 before 9:30 pm and $6 after. 21+ only.

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    So what do we do about 12-1 on Saturday? We certainly can't leave the prizes, money, and raffle tickets unattended at the table :(

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Per the latest weather report, it sounds like we've lucked out and are getting a break from the rain this weekend! They're currently predicting "partly cloudy" for Sat with a high of 64F. =D=

12. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    Honestly, I would do it if Pixar hadn't picked that exact time slot to talk about Ratatouille...

13. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    Me and my bros will cover the noon shift

14. Jazmachine

Jazmachine Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2003
    hey guys, hope your having a good weekend at WC! I wish I could stop by, but this is another busy weekend with alot going on. Take lots of pics & post stories!

15. Nienna_dedan

Nienna_dedan Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2007
    Wondercon was awsome! I am really excited that I got to meet some of you guys at the booth (I came by quite a few time, haha) This was my first time going to a convention, and I am so hooked. It is all I have been talking about for three days. I really can't wait for Celebration IV now!

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, another WonderCon has come and gone. :) :(

THE GOOD:

-Loading in and unloading the stuff for the table was pretty quick this year
    -We got our feet wet in doing a raffle for a charity - congrats to the winners! ;)
    -The new banner and business cards! =D=
    -Having was less garbage at the table, thanks to the bin and shelves
    -Thanks to Kathy and Alison for stepping up and taking care of the signage for the raffle!
    -Ray Park signing my Sideshow figure for FREE!
    -Good weather
    -Catching up with Bonnie Piesse
    -The 501st dinner
    -A new tablecloth (thanks Eva) =D=
    -Filming Matt Busch's spot for sw.com and getting a free print from him
    -Having Bonnie Burton, Tom Hodges, and Matt Busch sign my "How To Draw Star Wars" book
    -The "300" panel (Lena Headey =P~ )
    -Charles Black and family winning prizes at the Masquerade
    -Linda Tran :p
    -The Cat Club on Thursday night
    -Getting my pic taken w/Dale for an upcoming issue of Geek Monthly :-B
    -The 501st photo shoot and panel
    -Peter Mayhew contributing his signature to the ones I have on my Vanity Fair SW issue
    -Seeing Billy Campbell (The Rocketeer) buying books
    -A new Padme painting from Jason Palmer
    -Comeback to Qui-Gon John [face_laugh]
    -Thanks to everyone who manned the booth and stayed to help close down! =D=

THE NOT SO GOOD:

-Paying $147.50 for power this year :_|
    -"Wookiee Buttcrack" [face_sick]
    -Having a neighbor who talked smack so much that it required a snappy comeback by me
    -Seeing more than 2 chairs at the table more than once
    -Having the table shift have so many empty spots and not being sure they'd be filled in time
    -Not being able to give Steve and Mary their SFFF shirts
    -Missplacing my parking ticket Friday :oops:
    -Not getting a Comic-Con 2003 shirt :(
    -A belt malfunction with my costume :mad:
    -The Rebel Legion photo shoot being so small and interrupted by the park management
    -Not being able to look around for more stuff to buy
    -Seeing more than 2 chairs at the table more than once [face_shame_on_you]
    -Not having Chanel there @};-

All in all, a pretty relaxing and less crowded WonderCon for me.

A reminder to everyone:

If you haven't done so already I need $$$ from people to help pay for the power we used this weekend, and to Lou for getting the new banner made.

17. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    Hooray!! It was SO much fun this year. I especially like seeing 2 new scenes from Ratatouille (new Pixar movie coming out this summer) and getting to hear Brad Bird speak. And yes many congrats to the winners of the raffles!! ;)

Oh, and Matt, would it be okay to give you money for power and the banner at the next meeting?

18. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm sorry the RL photo shoot was small...and interrupted by park management?!?! :eek: What were you guys doing this time? ;)

I hope, overall, you had a good time.

19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    They charged how much for electricity??? That's completely ridiculous. Unfortunately I doubt I'll see you before the next meeting and so I will have to pass money over then. But honestly... I'd like to put out the suggestion of not getting electricity next year. Sure, it's nifty to have the tv at the table, and people do sometimes stop to idly watch whatever we've got on... but my personal opinion is that it is not worth nearly that much cost.

20. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Did the same, as did many others -- also bought several pieces of original art from the book, from both Matt Busch and Tom Hodges. This book is WONDERFUL, and the art is excellent. There is one error that sharp eyes have already spotted (and Bonnie Burton now knows about...) but all in all, terrific. Only two or three booths had it for sale, and many people were getting them signed and sketches done. Also had dinner on Sat night with Matt, Tom, Bonnie and many other folk...it was a blast!

I also had the chance to see you guys' wonderful booth, and your great raffle items. You guys rock, and it was 'most impressive...'

Mary Thomson
    Bay Area Ex-Pat

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Sorry about the unexpected electricity expense. But the way I see it, we got lucky sliding by all those years. It was a matter of time before our luck would run out. I agree with Alison, the TV is a nice touch but may not be worth the money. We can work it out next year.

Thanks to everyone who helped fill in the shifts at the Fan Force table! I know there were some empty spots at the last minute, but it is great to know that everyone chipped in to help fill the voids and we never had an unmanned table =D=

Sorry I missed out on Fan Force presentations to Steve and Mary. I do hope they enjoy their shirts :)

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the raffle and donated to "Cure Autism Now". I know that our own Fan Force members contributed quite a bit to the cause :) We earned 115 dollars for the charity. It is not as much as we had earned for Hurricane Katrina 2 years ago at the ROTS DVD release, but I'm sure every dollar helps a good cause. I'm just sorry that more of the non Fan Force members that signed up for the raffle didn't come check to see if their ticket number was posted (we did have several people check back at 4:00 on Friday which was good). Some prizes were forfeit because they were not claimed within the 23 hours allotted. :(

It seems that this was the year of the crack downs. It turns out the park at Yerba Buena Gardens is private property and permits are needed if people are doing an organized photo shoot (even if it is not professional or non-profit). This is the first year that someone from park management happened to spot our little group taking photos! Luckily he was cool and let us finish up. Next year we just need to contact them a month or two in advance to get proper clearance.

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    As far as the electricity is concerned, I (think) that that price is what it is after the pre-reg deadline. I believe I remember one year it was less than 1/2 of that. This fall, I'll read the paperwork again when they send me the info for next year. As for the TV, I think it does help draw attention to us (especially because of what we play), without having to resort to miles of LED lights, a metal cage, a tarp, two TV's, a droid detector and no flyers - all of which didn't bring people to a certain table. [face_laugh] I have pictures as proof!

23. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    My family and I had a wonderful time. Especially Sean! It was his first time and he didn't wanna leave! :D

Just let me know how much I owe for the business cards and banner.

See you guys soon!

24. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Man I saw so many people I haven't seen in a while. It was really fun. Still want to see 300!

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, I do agree that the TV does help draw people to the table. Anything helps. If the price for pre-reg is less than half of what we were billed - I guess we'll just have to see if we have enough members who will volunteer to donate money before we submit our registration. I just don't want Matt to be stuck with some huge bill, or have only a handful of us be responsible for footing the bill for our table. We can vote on it next year I guess. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.