main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wonderfalls

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Is anyone here a fan of the show Wonderfalls? It was another good (so I've heard) show that was axed by FOX, after only four episodes.

Plot: WONDERFALLS is a funny, provocative and magical one-hour dramedy about Jaye Tyler, set against the backdrop of Niagara Falls. Jaye is an underachieving twenty-something souvenir shop worker whose life is forever changed after she has what her family calls "an episode." That's when inanimate objects - toys, cartoon images, anything in the form of an animal - begin talking to her, providing her with cryptic messages that invariably lead her into the lives of others in need. Jaye meddles in, muddles up, and ultimately betters the lives of herself, her eccentric family of overachievers, and the eclectic variety of strangers that cross her path. Jaye discovers that the world around her really is a magical place...even if she fears that listening to inanimate objects means she is slowly losing her grip on sanity.

Fortunently, it's coming out on DVD on February 1st, 2005.

[image=http://dvdanswers.com/images/screenshots/wonderfallscompletr1art.jpg]

[image=http://www.savewonderfalls.com/images/wfcase12.jpg]

It looks like a good show, and I really want to see it. Who's a fan?

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I rather liked it. It wasn't the single most amazing thing ever, but it was pretty dang good. One of the better shows I've seen in a while.

-P!-

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Damn, I'll have to replace those images up top somehow.

I haven't seen any of it yet, but I'm going to read over a couple scripts that I found.

Good site: www.savewonderfalls.com

4. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    There's a show on CBS that is very similar - some teenage girl gets instructions from God to help people.

I thought Wonderfalls warranted a look. It wasn't bad, I just felt they were reaching for a late teenage-type audience. Just not my cup of tea.

But given that Fox reruns a lot of its reality-show programs, and often sandwiches them with "Worlds Stupidest/Funniest ____" I thought they could and should have given the show more of a shot.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Joan of Arcadia? Haven't seen that one either. This one just looks hilarious.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The DVDs are now out and getting great reviews. Anyone pick them up?

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Yay! I loved this show and got sooo annoyed w/ Fox for jumping it to Thursday where it received its death sentence.

The writers of the show are the same guys who make "Malcolm in the Middle." It's very sarcastic, witty, and full of wonderful black comedy humor.

I can't wait to get the DVDs :D Now if only they'd revive the show :mad:

8. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    That is great news about the DVD! Thanks!

I admit I only watched about 2-3 episodes because of time but I did enjoy the last aired episode very much. I have this big crush on the lead actress even though she is about 8 years younger than I am. It is kind of similar to CBS' Joan of Arcadia but "Joan" is a bit more well written and thought out. Joan is actually one of my favorite Saints(I am Catholic) but I don't really like the show much. I'm not a big fan of the lead actress (for her political beliefs)but the supporting cast and backstories are fantastic. I do miss the back and forth flirting with John Ritter's son's character and the newspaper editor.

At last year's San Diego Comic Con, the show's creator was hosting a one day panel and even presented some lost episodes. Unfortunatley, it was on Sunday and I had to leave the craziness of ComicCon, and going flat broke too! It would've been great to have sat through it had I known weeks ahead though!

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    If you only saw two or three episodes, you saw a majority of the season while it was on TV. It was only aired for 4 or so eps

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    SciFiWire Article:

Wonderfalls That Never Was

Bryan Fuller, co-creator and co-executive producer of the short-lived Fox fantasy series Wonderfalls, told SCIFI Wire he'd developed stories for a second season that never came to pass, as Fox pulled the show after just four low-rated episodes. Caroline Dhavernas starred as Jaye, a bright young woman who worked at a Niagara Falls gift shop and thought she'd lost her mind when inanimate objects at the store suddenly started talking and prodded her to intercede in the lives of people she didn't know. The full 13-episode series, including nine episodes that never aired in the United States, is now out on DVD.

"Actually, I [developed] four episodes of a second season while we were in post-production on the first season, before we knew definitively we were going to be canceled," Fuller said while promoting the DVD collection. "It was like, 'Well, let's get this going just in case, so we can hit the ground running and be ahead of the game should we get picked up.'"

Fuller added: "So there were four stories. The big thrust of the second season was going to be a miracle-birth arc, with Sharon [Katie Finneran], the lesbian sister. We set that up in a [first-season] episode called 'Safety Canary,' where she breaks up with her bisexual girlfriend, who then goes back to her husband and has sex with him. After they've had sex, Sharon comes back to her bisexual girlfriend and says, 'I want to still be with you,' and then they have sex. So the semen in the bisexual girl's vagina gets into lesbian Sharon's vagina and she becomes pregnant, though she's never had sex with a man. So the whole arc of season two was going to be this miracle birth/Jesus arc and Jaye coming to the conclusion she may be a little bit of a prophet.

"And we had another first-season episode, 'Cocktail Bunny,' that was setting up arcs for season three," Fuller continued. "It's one of those things where it's not on the drawing board or in the bible or the book. It's just all in my head. When the characters become real to you, you start fleshing out a future for them that, like a future for anybody, may or not be."

The Wonderfalls DVD includes featurettes, commentaries and a music video. Fuller, who is currently developing an animated series for SCI FI Channel based on the Mike Mignola comic book The Amazing Screw-On Head as well as an hour-long drama for another network, joked that while the Wonderfalls collection "ain't no Lord of the Rings special extended edition," he's nevertheless thrilled that fans have the opportunity to watch the series in its entirety.

"There's big satisfaction," Fuller said. "You want your art to be available to an audience. Now that the show is available on DVD it's available to an audience. That's huge. They have to seek it out, but they can go to a store or Netflix it and have it brought to their door. To be honest with you I think the show got better with every episode, and there were nine episodes that no one saw. I guess there are a couple of weaker ones where I'd go, 'Ooh, we could have nailed the script better on that,' but overall I really do think the episodes got better. So anyone who checks it out on DVD, if they liked what they'd already seen of the show, will hopefully agree with me and find that it gets better with each episode."

11. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Wow. Its been that long already? I just got the DVD boxed set last week, heh. Just saw the first 5 'sodes.
    My first post here back in January was more rant(about that Joan of Arcadia actress) than anything but yes, Wonderfalls is compared to Joan of Arcadia but more with a dark comedic feel. I saw the pilot and Pink Flamingos(my favorite and Caroline does look great in her cheongsam dress btw ;) )and those 2 were enough to get me hooked.

I just joined the show's first fansite the other day and mentioned that it was over here that I first heard (JediTrilobite's) mention of the DVD news. :)

Critics hailed the series but it wasn't enough to convince FOX to give it more time...the lousy FOX "reality" shows and "Skin" got more approval. At least the fans' voices where heard and FOX produced the DVDs.

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    That was a show that as soon as it started I knew I'd have to wait for the DVD :p

Great show but it really wasn't mainstreme enough.

If you have satalite LOGO will be airing the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.