main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Wonderfest 2017

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, May 22, 2017.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Almost that time of year again. The time when Jammies swears he won't have anything ready to enter into Wonderfest but manages to put something together at the last minute that looks spectacular. This year it's June 3-4. Wonderfest is always a good Star Wars time with all the Star Wars models and the local 501st trooping but this year they're pulling out the stops and bringing in a lot of the old ILM crew as guests. They're calling it "Wonderfest Strikes Back".
    https://wonderfest.com/

Saturday is the Autism 5K so I may or may not hit it Saturday (parking is always so bad Saturday too) but I'd really like to see some of the SW/ILM panels...so maybe? Sunday is an almost definite.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I will have nothing ready. I mean it.

But guys, ILM! It will be so cool this year. Colin Cantwell will be there!

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Ok, so I stayed awake since Thursday and made a humble diorama:

http://kitbash.net/wf2017/DSCN5082.JPG

I will post if it wins anything. Over 800 kits this year, smashing the last record of 501! Met Colin Cantwell, a part of star wars history to be sure (did not know he was a pupil of frank loid Wright).
    I think if you retype the link above without the stuff after wf2017 you can see the other kits. Some great work on the judging tables this weekend ( and a few eyesores). If you all can make it out, I recommend it. Besides, ILM will have a retrospective at noon (or noon thirty).

Jamaica gotta get him some sleeps yo. Jammies be in his Jammies.

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Heh, I knew you'd come up with something. Looks good (although I know you'll disagree since you're never happy with your work). Hoping to make it out there later today.

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Had a great time at Wonderfest! the ILM panels were cool.

Sadly, I did not bring home any hard ware, but maybe next year. Or not: frankly. Having a hobby at a Competitive level can sometimes take the fun out of it. (but that is a year away.)

Jammies

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah so much to oooh and aaah over. Loved that they worked Star Wars into their badges and Con T-shirts. They really went all out! I loved all the Star Wars models and props they brought in and displayed in the second dealer room. It was also great to see you and listen in to some behind the scenes stuff from ILM and hear how the transition from practical modeling to digital went from the people that were there. Even though I’m not a model maker, as a fan of the Warz it was fascinating. Some of the stuff in the model contest room was mind blowing. There were a couple of Hellboy figs I wish I could have bought on the spot. I can’t wait for next year!

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    So, let me eat a few more sour grapes. :)

I was looking at my entries last night, and comparing them to my models that have won awards: and I really feel that my 2017 stuff is superior.
    For example:

This award winning y-wing:

https://goo.gl/photos/JAwjWkchcKjL33nb9

And this Y-wing (and X-wing)from this year:

https://goo.gl/photos/PSYjZTyuVVJD1RMt9

https://goo.gl/photos/v8S99z2Y6xqKtzYT9

So, a little disappointing. I do think I made a mistake in putting it into the diorama category, rather then the vehicle category. i do like to create an embellished base, and that adds to the wow factor of a vehicle; but it probably wasn't to the level of a true diorama. Besides, that would have also given me two entries (the Blue leader X-wing, and the Y-Wing) as i would have just cut the base in half. I suppose everyone is upping their game, so the judging is harder-- but it is frustrating to know you are improving as a modeler yet still falling short of whatever mystery criteria the judges (several of whom are now hobby pals) use.

Also odd that the "best Star Wars model" award went to an A-wing that won a Silver award, when several Star Wars models, like the big AT-AT took home a gold. :confused:

Still, this was one of my favorite WFs of all time. The ILM panels and Colin Cantwell were great, as were the kits in the contest from around the world. I got some really cool ideas form the creativity of others. I snagged some resin kits, some supplies, i held off on buying a new airbrush-- but i did get an autographed print from Cantwell of his X-Wing. It will look cool next to my autographed print of Ralph Mcquarrie Xwing.

Who is Colin Cantwell ? He was the first person to work on illustrating the Star Wars universe (In 1974:before it was even called Star Wars). His work was interesting, but ultimately his models were unfilmable and GL went in a different direction. Still, you can see Luke playing with a Colin Cantwell model (of what we now call the Skyhopper) in the maintenance shed as 3P0 gets his oil bath. if you scroll past the videos, you can see his other models: including the disco ball Death Star. His designs were also used in the Dark Horse comic adaptation of the first draft of "The Star Wars."

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...o-interviews-star-wars-prototype-models-nasa/

He is also pushing 90. I almost punched a guy in his gob, because he was complaining that Cantwell didn't talk much during his panel (they showed clips of him answering questions on video and occasionally he would make a comment about the video when prompted) and that he (the fan) could have saved himself 60 minutes by just watching the clips on youtube. I told the guy that I hoped that he looked as good at 90 as Cantwell did, and if he would rather his grandchildren visited him or just watch youtube clips of him at the old folks home. He got the point.

ILM panel was great too. Still processing it all. I was glad Bill George answered a question I was going to ask: why is the B-wing called the B-wing? I have read a lot of theories. The most popular is that the B stands for Bill, as he built the studio model for ROTJ. The EU said that the B stands for Blade. Others say the B is for a lower case b. George's answer was more practical. ILM had to make 2 new rebel fighters: pre-production labelled ship A and ship B. The A-wing looks kinda like an A, and well, after A comes B.

So, obviously my ego is a little sore but I will get over it. I'm a big boy. This WF was a blast, and i can't wait until next year. (Wonder what the theme would be? Any other franchise having an anniversary in 2018?)

MTFBWY
    Jammies

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Congratulations!