main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wooden Lightsabers?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthVader79, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Has anyone seen these before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2189532294&category=37887

What do you think? Is it worth bidding on?

2. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Personally - I see too many problems with wood.

Why? - Because wood has way too many imperfections and will splinter, split, shatter, and god knows what else.

I have a set of Training Sabers - Aluminum hilt with a solid fiberglass rod - and I can honestly say that they will hold up to anything you throw at them

Just my opinion

Dave

3. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Where did you get your fiberglass rod? I ordered two from the place that made the ones for EP III filming. Can't wait to see them, but would like to check prices with other vendors too.

PM me.

Thanks!

4. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Actually they came with my Training Sabers when I bought them last year - I will PM you a link to buy just the rods from in a minute.

Could you send me the link for the place you are ordering from? I would like to check prices as well and maybe order some to check durability

Dave

5. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Once I've gotten mine and tested them out I will post results (I have a "Graphite Lightsaber Blades" thread in this board.) and will try to get us all to go in together on a big order. Need an order of 20+. Check out that thread for more info.

6. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Those are about half the price of the Graphite ones. But the graphite is REALLY light. How heavy are they? Do they break easy? (I imagine not)

Gonna bookmark that site!

7. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    see - my hilts were designed with a 1/2" blade instead of a 3/4" blade - that cut the weight down. These things have a (IMHO) perfect balance and weight. I have had no issues of cracking or breaking, I am still on my original set of blades.

The only issue that I have is some people get fiberglass slivers if they rub their hand on the blade - but that has been few and far between

Dave

8. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    It is also not healthy to get small pieces of fiber glass or carbon fiber into your respiratory system. If I were you I would tape the blades.

9. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Thanks for the warning! We'll want to wrap them.

10. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Can you send me that PM as well?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.