main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL WOOHOO..."The Hobbit" movies are officially a go!!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Dex_Luminara, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I like Sam Rami a lot, but he's absolutely wrong for this kind of movie.

And I wouldn't place too much blame on him for Spider-Man 3. I think the series officially got too big to handle, and Rami seemed to sorta go a little nuts in retaliation. Rami is great at bringing an air of plausibility to ridiculous situations, but even he appeared to be saying "oh, come on!" throughout most of that movie. I think the "die in a fire" tag is a little harsh, especially from someone who pays money to see Uwe Boll films in the theater.

-Le Penguin
    "I'm gonna get tacos!"

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    For the record, I've never paid money to see a Uwe Boll flick in the theater.

Netflix ftw or ftl in this case.

I want to make sure I have sufficient knowledge of the subject matter to effectively destroy it via the Interwebs.

3. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Fair enough, oddball.

4. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    They've been pushing the Raimi rumor for many...many...MANY months. Personally, I've always felt that it was a "plant" rumor by the studios to put out feelers for the gen-pop reaction. It always felt too forced. Nothing...and I mean NOTHING that Raimi has done (and I'm a BIG fan so please understand the gravity of this statement) has ever led me to believe that he's the one to tackle Tolkien.

Ultra-gore (Evil Dead), sure... Suspense (The Gift), equally plausible, Comics (Duh!), he has a knack even when he takes out anything he doesn't particularly like, no matter how accepted or canon it was considered. But Fantasy??? And not just any fantasy but the fantasy that spawned a million later stories and is considered by many people over the decades to be the standard by which most should at the very least acknowledge or spin their tales from.

Whether you love the world Tolkien created, hate it, or sit on your very high fence over it. You can't deny it has it's own feel, and a different aspect in it speaks to each person that reads it. Having been "there and back again" many times since childhood I will state emphatically that Raimi is wrong for Middle Earth. The things that make he and PJ alike are not the things that made PJ, Fran, and Philipa's vision of Middle Earth so great. About the only thing he could probably do is make Gollum even more frightening. But that standard is already set. Don't #&*% with a good thing! It wasn't Sam Raimi's creation (ever) that swept the Academy Awards, made the pretentious stand up and take notice of a genre that had thertofore been largely turned aside to make way for snobbery from abroad, or raked in over 3 BILLION $$$ worldwide in only a few years time. No...it was Peter Jackson, and at the end of the day I'd rather wait for his schedule to clear and let him helm it completely than rush some unsatisfying piece of Orc-dung through the cinema machine simply for the sake of the "more money NOW" mentality.

huh...huh..breathe...ok I'm done ranting. Typing on an MDA like this is a real b/+@"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.