main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Woohooo! New SimCity!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aytee-Aytee, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm leery of the 'images do not reflect gameplay' disclaimer on the bottom there.

I'll follow this with some interest though, been a long while since I've played a SimCity game.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, so long as they keep the truckasaurus and Iron Man finale, I think it's good to go ;).

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I can't wait to reticulate some splines.

Ghost likes this.
  5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    oooohh

ooooooooohhh

ODOUFHODSHOOSOOOOOSODGHSDGH!!!!!!

edit: "SimCity will be available for the PC."

****! :mad:

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You really thought it would be available for another platform?

Unless you meant Mac I suppose, but you should be used to many games not coming to Mac.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It'd be interesting to see it on the Kinect. You could literally build a city with your own hands!

8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Marcus, I seem to recall that at least Sim City 3000 and maybe also Sim City 4 were available for Mac from release. Am I wrong?

This is probably the impetus I need to finally look into Boot Camp, anyway. :p

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Really low system requirements. Dunno if that's a good thing or not.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, the game has had an... Interesting launch. But most of the server issues were nonexistent after a few days. By time my copy arrived they had been worked out, thankfully.

On the upside, EA's giving a free game to those who register before the 25th as compensation for the troubles. I decided to go with Deadspace 3 (Ill eventually play ME3 on consoles, and NFSMW was the only other one that interested me).

Anyways, that aside, I've been enjoying the hell out of the game. This thing is the flux capacitor of video games: it makes time travel possible. Unfortunately, it only travels forward in time. ;)

Seriously though, it is very addictive- it's easy to look at the clock once, then look again and realize its several hours later, heh.

hunter77 likes this.
  11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know if you're a PS Plus subscriber, but if you are, ME3 is this month's freebie, along with Dead or Alive 5. Thought I'd give you a heads-up.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the headsup but I don't have a PS3. Someone gave me ME1 on 360 last year so ill be playing that at some point. From there ill probably either grab ME trilogy for the last two or grab a used copy of ME2 on 360 and ME3 on Wii U, whichever ends up being most practical. Probably be the same price by time I get around to it.

13. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    hehe same here, will pick Dead Space 3 :) But have you already gotten your free game? I have to wait a day or two, i guess for being in Europe?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah it's downloaded but I haven't played it yet- have to break free of SimCity first.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Don't get a used copy! You'll only have to fork out extra for the pass, and you need the pass to get the DLC, and you will be wanting the DLC. Oh, and you'll be supporting the gaming industry as well.

Oh, and as for SimCity? I've heard too much negative stuff about it. There's an exploit that allows players to completely destroy other cities, permanently. If they release a patch or update that'll let me play on my own then I'll consider it, but not until then. It's a shame really as it looks great.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I do try to avoid buying used whenever possible, but I suspect that may be my only option by time I'm ready to purchase/play the sequel. I don't think I'll even be able to get around to starting the first til next year (though I might be able to squeeze it in this summer).

17. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    You can play on your own, just hit private game. The always online DRM sucks, but the game is pretty fun :)
    Also i pretty much got a free copy of Dead Space 3, just for buying it. And i had no problem playing it :D

18. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey there. :) Considering the recent Simcity debacle, I was wondering if it's still worth it to purchase this game. [face_dunno]

Also, is the game ONLY multiplayer? :confused:

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I played it starting about a week after launch on a crappy computer and wasted several days being sucked into it, so I think it's definitely worth playing if you like Sim CIty.

It's only multiplayer if you want it to be- you still have to be online to play it single player but if you make your region private, you can control all of the cities you build in your region without worrying about others joining.

(though the global trading for resources is probably still applicable, that's more behind the curtain data)

20. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Thanks for the reply, The2ndQuest. :) Did you have server problems?

Yeah, it looks decent to me. I suppose multiplayer is difficult considering other players can mess with your city. Thanks for the private region tip. :D

If I may ask, which Simcity do you consider the best?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I've only lost connection once (after that first week they expanded their servers a lot so I had that advantage over Day 1 folk)- however I haven't played for a few weeks due to schoolwork.

I've only played the original SNES game, SimCity 2000 and this one, but they each have their highlights- the original has that core puzzle aspect to it (despite all the other features of these games, at their core it really is about putting pieces together in the most optimal way possible), 2000 has terraforming and larger city spaces, while 2013 has city specialization and a ton of complexity.

22. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Oh, so the server problems are no longer an issue?

Yeah, the original was addictive. Never played 2000, so I'll probably d/load it at some point if that's legally possible. And yes, I really like the puzzle aspect to these games.

2013 seems like a must play for me. We shall see. :)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as I know, server issues are t common now- though I suppose one might possibly run into one occassionally depending on the server and peak usage times