main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wookieepedia AKA Star Wars Wiki

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by wookieepedian1, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    This site may or may not have been discussed here previously, but since I have not seen in this category where I feel it should be best represented, I will 'plug' it so to say.

I am a member of a new (but not entirely brand new) site hosted at Wikicities called the Star Wars Wiki, however many have come to know it as the Wookieepedia. It was created to gather as much infomation on the Star Wars Universe and set it up in an encyclopedic format, much as if the characters were real people and the planets real places. There is also a wealth of Out-of-universe content to cover all areas of Star Wars, even in the realm of culture that formed from the movies, and the actors that played the characters. Most of our actor articles are usually shorter than the full Wikipedia articles, and so there will be a link to the larger article in those cases.

The pedia runs off the same Wiki software as the much larger general encyclopedia, Wikipedia (hence the gag use of Wookiee in our title). There were many reasons for the founding of the Wiki, one being that Wikipedia would happily allow deletion of those not-so-important figures or things or places, the obscure stuff that would be classified as StarWarscruft or Lucascruft. Not anymore.

Anyone can contribute by adding information, or editing existing information to articles. Every thing on Wookieepedia has an article, unlike Wikipedia which would group many of them together in a bloated list, and in order to keep it free from fan creations and SuperShadow falsifications, we have attempted to intiate a basic Vote for Deletion process similar to Wikipedia's. The Wookieepedia is regularly maintained and cleaned of any false content. In the case of vandalism (the instance that a rogue member or anonymous IP address deletes text or posts useless information that is unencyclopedic, such as obscenties) the user is blocked, and on repeated occasions, banned.

On the issue of advertisements, for those that may have them, our ads are not annoying flash ads, but simple Google ads that do not take up too much space.

The Wookieepedia isn't perfect but with care it can become one of the largest spots for SW information on the net, that can be regularly updated and customized to the liking of the Wookieepedians, under consensus of course.

I hope you are interested and will join us in this project.

The main page of the website is:
    http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page

2. wookieepedian1

May 24, 2005
    Update: We are up to 3500 articles this week and still growing. Thanks to all that have already contributed and here's to more that come and join.

3. Danrizzy

Danrizzy Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    i'll join. It could be like the archives in the prequels!

4. Imperialles

Imperialles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    This sounds interesting, I'll join.

5. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Should be interesting if the open source "meritocracy" model holds up with Star Wars fans.

6. Imperialles

Jun 20, 2005
    Update: We are now at over 4000 articles with several new ones being created every day!

7. Saith_Vaapar

Saith_Vaapar Jedi Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    It's a really good idea. I will join in.
    Will there be translations for other countries ? that would be very cool

8. Imperialles

Jun 20, 2005
    Yeah, both a Norwegain and a Spanish version are in the works. The English version is now at 5000 articles!

9. wookieepedian1

May 24, 2005
    In just ten days after that update, we are now up to 5600 articles, and may hit 6000 by the end of the month.

10. Imperialles

Jun 20, 2005
    We're now at 22,000 articles and counting...

11. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I go there all the time for info for my RPing, and my Fanfiction. Great place.

12. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    This has been an awesome project to watch grow and change - keep up the good work everyone!

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    When Wookieepedia first came out, I thought that it would not last. Boy, was I wrong. There are many articles that are much more detailed than Wikipedia, and I too use Wookieepedia for a lot of info.

14. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    I would definately agree!! Wookiepedia is really cool....

One question, though... where did the picture of Xiaan Amersu come from??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.