main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Star Wars Wiki

I have recently falled in love with the Wikipedia website, and noticed that there is a seperate one for Star Wars. Anyone here contribute to it?

2. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Yep.

Rebel_Loyaltist likes this.
  3. DavBacca

DavBacca Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    It needs a children's books section. [face_thinking]

4. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    I wouldn't mind helping out with the site, is there a specific person in charge, or is it like the mainstream Wiki, in that anyone can make changes and additions?

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Impressive... Most impressive... It's full of info... =D=

6. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I wouldn't mind helping out with the site, is there a specific person in charge, or is it like the mainstream Wiki, in that anyone can make changes and additions?

The latter.

Go ahead and make some contributions. We're after all the help we can get.

Seagoat likes this.
  7. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    No problems, will do.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I wrote a bit on IG-88. Wonder if it's changed much.

Edit: Argh, 'metres' was changed to 'meters'! Anti-Australian bias!

Seagoat and The_Four_Dot_Elipsis like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I fleshed out Thrawns campaigns though i stil cant figure out links. Someone may want to do that.

Seagoat likes this.
  10. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Links are easy. Give me the address of the web page, and the links you want created, and I can help you.

By the way, on the mainstream Wikipedia website, there are a lot of GREAT Star Wars pages as well. I was looking through some last night, here are some I found:

Rank Insignia of the Galactic Empire

Coruscant

Yuuzhan Vong

Imperial Stormtroopers

Galactic Empire

Clone Wars

The New Republic

Confederacy of Independant Systems

Rebel Alliance

Star Wars Conflicts

And these above are just a small sample of what is available on Wikipedia, just have to search around and follow the links... great suff! :)

11. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    WIKIPEDIA is the greatest thing on the Internet since the Internet!!!

Besides Star Wars, Wikipedia Is My Life!!! [face_laugh]

12. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    I have become addicted to it, I have to admit. There was a great article I read recently which stated that Wikipedia is really what the internet was originally meant to be. A community project, easily updatable by anyone, relevent, usefull, a good research tool, fun, etc...

JediFett10 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Doesn't that make it fundamentally flawedthough? At least in the case of SW where wording needs to be very particular?

For example- the CUSWE is fairly reliable, but on a rare ocasion you'll have something like what happened with Magaloof for the 3rd Whats the Story entry- officially Magaloof was joyriding in a stolen speeder- CUSWE extrapolated by calling hima smalltime theif even though it's not official that he actually stole it or was a thief.

Minor points, but something I'd imagine that would be more common an issue in a more widely accessible system.

That said, I haven't really bothered to check out any wiki-related stuff yet, but I get the imrpession it's more of a novelty thing than a credible resource.

14. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i just learned that Passel Argente had an aide named Twink Kee.

yep.

15. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    From what I have seen so far, the standard is pretty good.

16. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    i just learned that Passel Argente had an aide named Twink Kee.

Now corrected.

The main problem is how to stop "fan *******", ie made up stuff masquerading as canon information.

sometimes it's hard to tell... ;)

17. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I think in the original script his aide was called Twink Kee, but then it was changed to the more hologenic Denaria Kee.

18. Imperialles

Imperialles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    On the issue of Star Wars articles on Wikipedia, they generally are full of "fanon". Most members of Star Wars Wiki (myself included) have given up on Wikipedia and now focus entirely on SWW. By doing so, we are much more effective in finding and deleting crappy information, fanfiction, spam and so on. Sources for articles are always requested (if not included in the article). I verify several articles myself every day, checking the sources given.

I urge everyone to join us, we need all the help we can get in the quest to be the biggest, baddest and most accurate source of Star Wars information, rivaling the Holocron itself!

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm tempted to go and see if I can correct the idea that Nebulon-Bs carry 24 fighters internally. There is just no way. And Corona Frigates are iffy with their 36, being 25 meters shorter, though they seem to be a lot bulkier than the Nebulon-B.

20. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    The fanon that bugs me the most is some crap about Empatajayos Brand going dark in DE2... what the heck?

21. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    For a great comparison on what we could all aim for, check out the Star Trek Wiki, that has over 10,000 articles I believe. Now that is dedication! :)

22. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    Who cares what Star Trek is doing??? They can all commit mass suicide for all I care. [face_skull]

Wiki has by far the BEST article on the Imperial Remnant. I was even more impressed by the article on the Imperial Navy. I have never seen something more detailed describing the Imperial navy's doctrine and organization right down to the bone. It's amazing!

The Corporate Sector Authority article definitely needs work, though.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    "A high admiral commanded a sector group, a title usually granted to the Moff who governed the sector. In sectors that were involved in constant and severe naval actions, the high admiral was a separate position from the Moff. A sector group could be expected to contain at least 2,400 ships, 24 of which were Star Destroyers"

Based on the fact there were c. 24 Star Destroyers at Endor, I have often speculated that Piett was a High Admiral during ROTJ, if not already one during ESB. I sorta suspect he was already one during ESB, since his ESB insignia=Daala's insignia as described in JAT, and JAT indicates that Daala was as high ranking as any living Naval Officer after GA Thrawn's death, and High Admiral is the next highest rank to Grand Admiral. Assuming there are about 1,000 Imperial Sectors, it is difficult to imagine there were no High Admirals whom survived Thrawn's murder, so I feel confident she must have held an equal rank, despite her rather unique position protecting the Maw.

24. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I edited the Bastion and Imperial Remnant articles to include the name Sartinaynian and other info revealed in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds, but I tried not to detract from the already good info in the articles, just add some more:)

25. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Good stuff!

Apart from the Expanded Universe side of things, it would be great if we could update pages for the Authors, etc... I think some Authors don't even have pages created for them yet, some have a lot of info, others don't. Bit of a mixed bag.