main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Can we share silly articles? The most comfortable chair ever designed is a personal favorite, and not just because of the item itself. That sidebar -- there are repeated reference links to the source material to back up the claim that a chair is used for sitting. I'd like to think the hyper-thorough chief Wook editors were acutely self-aware and added those with tongue planted firmly in cheek, (considering how goofball of an idea it is to even have an article for this), but I'm guessing some of you would challenge that. :p

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'll be the first to admit that Toprawa ate my children, but on a more positive note I've been browsing the Wook lately and am actually really impressed by the articles on some of the major characters from The Force Awakens. Looking through the edit histories of Finn and Poe, it seems that they're the products of group efforts by a wide variety of contributors --- in other words, exactly what a Wiki should be. And the old guard doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with these articles beyond basic vandalism removal and the like, which is a very very good thing. The optimist in me remarks that TFA has brought in new and eager contributors despite the old guard's best efforts, and the pessimist wonders how long they'll last before giving up in frustration.

Rey is also an article that looks fantastic, but that looks to have been the work of a single dedicated author (our own Brandon Rhea). And he doesn't seem like the kind of editor to write an article and then sit on it like an overprotective mother --- you'll see his name plenty of times in those edit histories I linked above; unlike some of the Wook's long-termers, he seems to understand the value of collaboration. So, in other words, good job Brandon.

DarthJaceus, DelRiego, Kylun and 4 others like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I noticed the TFA article photos seem to be mostly sourced from scans from tie-in materiels and the like with little from the actual film itself. Since using bootleg cam shots is (rightfully) out of the question, does anyone want some framegrabs from this video? (a 10 minute VFX reel from TFA)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mazzy

It features a lot clips from the movie for potential framegrabs. Also it's just a solid watch overall.

4. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Hey, that's a pretty cool link. And yeah, when the Blu Ray gets released, I imagine it'll be a huge image harvest at the Wook.

Brandon Rhea and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You can get some images from the VFX reel now, just some screencap / cropping, certainly not BluRay quality but certainly better than cam bootleg or nothin'.

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It definitely does look like there are new editors getting involved who have a large interest in the new canon.

Here is a link to Queen Trios's sister who was only in one issue. Quite a bit of info for a character that was only in one issue. That is more info then many of the new canon novels were getting about a year ago.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hollian

7. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I dunno, the EU being a bag of ideas to draw from like the Marvel comics are to the MCU makes sense while we're in the age of movies wanting another Avengers.

Course it would be helpful if we knew what Lucas's take on the sequels was.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So it looks like Vader still fondly recalls Sixes in the Lords of the Sith paperback. Time for the Wook to stop redirecting Sixes to Fives' page. :p

9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Hah, well, luckily the author confirmed that was a typo or else there would be a Sixes page on Wook.

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Editors, man...you had one job. One job. And it wasn't like you weren't told. Come on.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    This really happened?

The editing really needs picking up, the story group should be able to stop this kind of thing.
    Heck get the fans to check.

Clone One is another example.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Well now that they are giving out like 50,000,000 advanced review copies these days, having the ARC-recipients do a little editing work on the side wouldn't be a bad idea.

Oh actually I can see that opening a dark portel to hell.

"This ship on p. 53 wasn't invented until after the events of this story."

"Those planets aren't next to each other. Or in that rim."

"The officer's badge colors are wrong."

"Character X wouldn't do this. I showed a few friends, about 20, the draft on a private chat room on my website. I hope you don't mind. Some of them said they'd buy the book if they liked it. But we're all in unanimous agreement that Character X wouldn't do this. If you go through with this plot, you will leave my friends no choice but to wage all-out war against it on the fan sites. We will raise an army of angry ARC troopers. Have you heard of Karen Traviss or Drew Karpyshen? Your career will be shot. You will be fated to writing video game novelizations forever."

13. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    The writer comes home, there's a stuffed tauntaun head in their bed. A note is attached:

Add a few zeroes onto that 3 million.

14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    So I guess it would read "3,000,000.00" then?

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Half-serious question Brandon and I were just discussing, per the new VIII video: if the movie starts with a restaging of the end of TFA and there's a blatant difference (as in the weather), would there be a genuine debate at the wook about whether that made the two films "contradicting sources"?

Barriss_Coffee, Gamiel and Vthuil like this.
  16. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    It would probably warrant a quick note in something's Behind the scenes section, but I doubt that even the Wook's procedures would require the "Two conflicting sources" template at the top. Alternate scenario: Tope proclaims that it's illegal and declares an emergency Mofference.

WMIRTUTSF and CooperTFN like this.
  17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    We would still assume they just stared at each other for a couple of hours/days.

18. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I see this sort of statement a lot. I think this is a misunderstanding of what the Story Group is for. The way I see it, the Story Group is there to ensure a cohesive story and to make sure everything works as well as possible. It's not there to fix typos. That's what the editors at Del Rey are for.

Even if it was their job, no one's perfect. As Jason said in an interview with Coop a few months back, of course there's going to be a slip here and there. But IMO, at the end of the day, who cares? It says Sixes. Sure, we'd prefer it didn't, but we know it's Fives. So we just understand it to mean Fives and move on.

Yeah, all joking aside, probably this.

DarthJaceus and Darthmaul208 like this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe they should've gone with the people that had proven track record with that sort of thing, then.

Well, we can certainly say from past experience that their job isn't to ensure a cohesive story and to make sure everything works as well as possible.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    :D

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But we know Pablo Hidalgo personally checked Angleberger's retelling of Episode VI, though. He made corrections--even though the mistakes he pointed out were not corrected in print.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I'm sure they do check things. My point is, that's not their primary job. That's what editors are for - and editors are the ones who are responsible for taking those corrections into account too. The Story Group members are not literary editors.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And IIRC the note Pablo made on VI was him describing the wrong SSD--that's bound to stand out way more to an OT nerd (like us, in other words) than Sixes/Fives, which frankly I wouldn't even have realized was an error if people hadn't brought it up here.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah those clones look all the same. Not like Fives had his own 4-episode story arc or anything.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Doesn't mean there was never a "Sixes". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LelalMekha likes this.