main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope so! I was totally looking for C-3PO's cereal page, actually, but only found one for the commercial / the awesome C-3PO cereal monster.

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
  3. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yunzabit if you look down at your post so will you see an Edit button. Use that instead of double post :)

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Do you have an account? I'm asking because I don't know if you do or not, and I don't really see how it's productive to post on one site about how another site should post something - especially when the latter can be edited by anyone. Not trying to be curt or anything, but sometimes posting here is just speaking into the void. :)

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yunzabit has apparently been banned from Wookieepedia, so that wouldn't really help a whole lot.

I had a discussion with Jason Fry in his thread recently, and if Wookieepedia is going to insist on the Anaxes War College System until proven otherwise, it is intended for that to include the Sovereign-class.

7. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Ah, right, I forgot who was who in this thread. You are correct.

Either way, posting "Wookieepedia needs to post X" on the JCB is not productive.

DarthJaceus and jSarek like this.
  8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    You've been warned before.

9. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Doesn't this look suspiciously like some underage kid asking an adult stranger to go into the convenience store and buy them beer?

10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Yeah unfortunately being blocked on Wookieepedia sucks

11. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    That's what happens when you continue to use proxy servers for years on end to try and circumvent your original block. I know you want to see Wookieepedians as the bad guys in this case, but you broke several rules and received warnings for over 6 months before Toprawa ever got involved in the situation. Then once you were blocked, you continued to sockpuppet. You still continue sockpuppeting to this day.

I don't mean to be rude here, but at some point you need to take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other people. It's not productive.

Scapro Tyler and jSarek like this.
  12. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

I only did sockpuppets because the first time Toprawa and Ralltiir banned me, it was for a whole freaking YEAR. He blocked me in 2014, over something trivial. Its not like I vandalize the site. I only added to it.

13. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    But you still broke a rule. Sockpuppeting and ban evasion are against the rules, whether you agree with those rules or not.

I'm going to explain the situation here only because I think, after all this time, context around your block for the other people in this thread is appropriate. Then I'm going to leave it alone, because I think the story speaks for itself.

To make a long story short, you were adding information to the wiki that you could not independently verify. You were using other websites, like TFN and the CUSWE, and scraping information from there about SWTOR. A lot of the information, while contributed in good faith, was incorrect. Between that and issues pertaining to how you created articles, you received a lot of talk page messages from people. I did a quick count of those talk page messages. There were 30 that I would define as helpful messages and 21 that I would define as a mix of warnings and helpful messages. These were left by a collective total of 5 other users, over a period of 7 months. To my knowledge, none of those people were administrators at the time. This was all the community trying to help you out.

After 7 months, you received a week-long ban because you were still making a lot of the mistakes that you were being told about, despite the warnings. It's not pleasant having to ban anyone, but after that much time and that much help, if problems are still arising then sometimes administrators have to take further action. The admins also began to suspect that you were adding information that you could not verify, and that you didn't actually have SWTOR. You admitted to not having the game, so you were asked to stop contributing SWTOR content unless you had the game. Unfortunately, you continued adding information despite not having the game. That is when you were blocked for a year.

Regardless of whether you feel that the year-long ban was justified (and I take no stance on whether or not it was, because I think backseat-admining a decision from 2 years ago is not productive), it happened. You had ample opportunity in order to prevent that from happening, but it did.

In the over 2 years since you were blocked, you have continued breaking the rules by sockpuppeting. That is why your ban was eventually extended to a permanent one.

Now, let's assume for the sake of argument that the year long ban was too long. We'd still be left with a situation where you weren't listening to peoples' advice and where you were still adding inaccurate information. You would have continued doing that, you would have continued receiving blocks, and one way or another we would have ended up right where we are now: where you are permanently blocked from Wookieepedia.

I have no doubt that you were trying to improve the site. I believe that you were making these edits in good faith. But when you continue doing them incorrectly, and more importantly when you continue adding incorrect information because you don't actually have the source you're adding that information from, eventually the admins have to draw a line regardless of what someone's good intentions are. 'Assume good faith' is a fundamental tenet of wiki editing, but sometimes even good faith editing can become disruptive if those good faith edits are bad edits. And when people have to constantly clean up what you're doing, or remove inaccurate information, or give you warnings, then your contributions are disruptive. That's not the fault of community members or admins.

I don't know if you're going to be able to acknowledge that you made mistakes that were ban-worthy. Ultimately this post is directed less at you and more towards the other people in the thread. There are plenty of reasons to disagree with some of the things that happen on Wookieepedia, but I don't want people thinking that this is one of them. I don't want people thinking you were the victim of a bad admin. Because people tried to help you for 7 months with over 50 messages before an admin ever got involved, which is far more leeway than most people get on Wookieepedia or, frankly, any wiki project.

I do truly hope that you are able to move on from this, if only for your own peace of mind. 2+ years is a long time to be feeling distressed over this sort of thing.

DarthJaceus, jSarek and CooperTFN like this.
  14. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Well, I learned a lot since then, and even though I made a lot of mistakes, it wasn't necessary to ban me for a year. Its too bad I cant contribute to the wiki without being deceptive, as I know that I am directly responsible for many articles that still stand on the wiki to this day. So, I kindly ask you again. Will you do edits and pages for me on Wookieepedia, because I can no longer ever do them.

15. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Knowing the history of your ban, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to contribute on your behalf. It's a thin line between just documenting information and helping someone essentially circumvent a ban, and unfortunately that's not a line that would be appropriate for me to cross. Sorry.

DarthJaceus, Scapro Tyler and jSarek like this.
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Your privileges are dead, son. Just accept it.

17. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Fixed it.

What do you want from me, sympathy? Sorry, no. You're probably the only person on this thread who could ever have made me take the side of Wookieepedia in anything.

18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Sorry to crosspost this, but I'm cracking up -- I just discovered that not only does "notable fan" SuperShadow have his own Wook entry, but that it was a former featured article, AND showcased on the front page in 2005. The talk page is... well, grab some popcorn.
    New thread title? :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Back in the days, we thought it was important to showcase the article to try and expose SuperShadow properly because an alarmingly high number of people seemed to believe him--why, I'll never know. (Of course, there were a number of mere trolls and SuperShadow sockpuppets, but I remember meeting people at conventions who genuinely believed all the ludicrous things that were written on this most ugly website.)

DarthJaceus, Vthuil, jSarek and 3 others like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I remember how bizarre that was. The episode 2 and 3 spoiler forums always got a lot of traffic, mainly from new members who only posted one or two times, and it seemed like every week at least one new person who sign in to talk about Super's new posts.

I will hand it to him that his updates throughout the prequel years were doggedly consistent -- he would update legitimate new spoilers the second they came out and somehow stick them on his growing hodgepodge of existing theories, as if they had always been there.

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What's particularly extraordinary is that, by 2006, Shadow had already been designated as a fraud in Star Wars Insider twice. Why some fans still believed whatever came from that sad excuse of a website after that is a complete mystery to me. (And let's not even mention the supremely weird Q&A sessions in which Supershadow discussed the possibility of assuming world leadershop with Lucas to ward off the Antichrist.)

22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    It's no mystery to me. I can tell you EXACTLY why that happens; it's essentially the same reason that people can get so heated in discussions of PT versus OT, or versus ST, or any number of other issues that have become so incendiary that these forums won't allow them.

It's because, when people become attached to an idea, they're incorporating that idea into a part of themselves, and thus it becomes one of the many components that comprise their personality. The idea becomes a part of their identity - and for that reason, in impassioned circumstances, a person will fight to defend the idea, because under the surface, what they're really fighting to defend is their identity, their sense of self. If an idea that they've incorporated into the self is assailed, a portion of what makes them "them" is also being assailed, and if the idea is pooh-poohed, it makes them feel like they're less than for embracing the idea. It doesn't so much matter that the idea itself is with or without merit; it's that they're trying to refute the notion - perhaps even within themselves - that they're foolish for buying into it.

And frankly, it's foolish and immature. If a person feels they have to defend an idea like they defend their sense of self - indeed, that the idea is a PART of their sense of self - then that's a sign of personal weakness. It's not humble, and that's a word that never seems to come up because nobody WANTS to humble themselves, even though there's a great deal of value to the character in doing so. If we're going to be brutally honest with ourselves, a person's sense of self isn't THAT important, isn't THAT worthy of defense - and it CERTAINLY doesn't deserve defending if the metaphorical hills they've staked out to die on are built upon such utterly non-lofty questions as these. No one is a better, greater person for embracing any one of these ideas to begin with. That people choose to get this heated over trivialities, defend them as they'd defend their own persons, just points to a population of weak people.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This thread got super real all of a sudden.

24. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Yes, perhaps. I'll grant that. But in a thread where we've only just seen people defending their breaking of Wookieepedia rules by attempting to circumvent their banning - and unashamedly soliciting others to do so on their behalf - without any acknowledgement that they themselves brought about their own banning through their own actions and behaviors, exactly how wrong am I?

25. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Having just read this one page of this huge post let me just say. Whoa. Looks like banning got taken to heart! ;)

That being said, I noticed something missing on Wookieepedia yet I am not a member/never have tried to add an article.

Not really sure how a section for the Star Wars (Later Space Wars) Sim Forum never got made.

It was a hugely popular simming group in the 90s on AOL. I would think deserving of its own entry.

I am not looking for someone to do it for me, but any advice on how I can do it would be appreciated! :D