main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Anyone else getting socialpages malware when you try to go on Wookieepedia?

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    No but it is annoying. The whole "Fandom" thing Wikia is doing is frankly insane- it's meant to be an encyclopaedia not a fan/entertainment site. This branching off for companies hurts them in the long term- Tapatalk the mobile forum app for instance is slowly turning itself into a form of social media when there is no reason for that.

@Brandon Rhea
    I think the discussion needs to happen- Buy a website domain and switch out the content- you then get full control over everything and can do what you like. The BSG Wiki inspired site is great and uses the same themes.

Only problem is democracy- the "ruling elites" cough certain user (Toparawa) either wouldn't go along with it or they would and end up ruining a new site version- through either trying to gain full control or just generally being a nuisance.

If you could keep him out then all should be good. I would happily pay for a website domain (hosting/set up etc.) as long as Toparawa is kept out.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    While we're dictating policy to Wookieepedia (I'm not being sarcastic--let's definitely do that), this has me wondering--is there an actual rule against using Pablo's tweets as citations? If not, shouldn't there be?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Sometimes, it's all we have to prove a point. Until the release of Complete Locations, the name of Trinto Duaba was only known to be canon through his tweets. And even now the name's confirmed, we still need one of Pablo's tweet to prove Duaba was also the pale old man in TFA.

DarthJaceus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

My thoughts on the canonicity of the single-seater variant of the Y-wing- seeing as the Reklam Station ships are two-seaters:

and the trivia gallery says:

"the captured Y-wing fighters will make their way to the Gold Squadron seen in the attack against the Death Star in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope"

http://www.starwars.com/episodes/steps-into-shadow-trivia-gallery

this strongly suggests that Gold Squadron ships are the same ships. Odd, if Gold Squadron's are supposed to be a later single-seat model:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter/Canon

The later BTL-A4 Y-wing was a variant, single-seat tactical strike spacecraft, which lacked the gunner's position of earlier models. This variant was utilized by both the Alliance to Restore the Republic and New Republic during the Galactic Civil War.[17]

Raising the question of whether the "single seater" actually exists as a separate production model:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/y-wing-starfighter

"many had been stripped of hull plating and engine nacelles to make maintenance easier, and models that eliminated the gunner’s turret had been introduced."

or whether it is merely a field modification of the two-seater.

Think there's some changes to be made to the Databank, as well as Wookieepedia?

I would suggest that rather than "eliminating the turret" it was a case of "turret becomes remote-controlled from a gunner's position inside the hull" - the glass transparisteel dome is gone, but the turret and gunner are both still present.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    But why is any of that necessary? Isn't the wook supposed to be a passive chronicle? If something's unknown, it's unknown. What if Pablo deletes a tweet? Or something comes out and contradicts him anyway?

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    if Lucas saying Motti's first name as a joke on TV makes something canon, then Pablo's tweets do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    We take screenshots of relevant tweet so we can keep them if they're deleted. But you see, the thing is this: if Pablo has an answer, it's not really unknown, is it? He does not just make it up. He does say "I/we don't know" sometimes.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And a lot of the time he couches his answers in "I've always seen it as..." which IMO specifically calls attention to it being a subjective statement and not the Word of God.

Oh, and not for nothing, but there's also the several times he's literally said not to cite his tweets as canon. o_O

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    And it's absolutely not a habit at LFL to give mixed signals, of course. Tweet citing is only meant as a temporary measure, or a way of clarifying ("Did you indeed mean that character to be the same as this one?"). Whenever a printed source confirms something that used to be supported by a social media citation, said citation disappears. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So The Holocrons of Fate page says that "he lives" is Obi Wan? Why though? it's not confirmed by any source that he is Obi Wan so isn't that just speculation on the page.

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    It doesn't look like it still appears on the page's current version. Some people keep adding it, despite the fact that it's pure speculation... and it keeps being reverted.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    C'mon, Maul is clearly talking about Obi-Wan, let's be ahead of the game here for once, people!

DarthJaceus and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    We have good reason to believe that it's Obi-Wan, but that's not a confirmation. Until we have a confirmation, I agree it should be left out.

DarthJaceus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    It hasn't been just an encyclopedia in a very long time. Fandom (previously Wikia) used to be a simple wiki farm, but it's been an entertainment site for a very long time. It's actually the largest entertainment fan site in the world. Fandom better represents what the site is and what the vision of the site is.

Wikis, however, remain as encyclopedic as they want. Wookieepedia, for instance, isn't changing because of the Wikia to Fandom rebranding.

You know I actually work for Fandom, right? ;)

Yeah, I tend to only use social media citations (from anyone) when they're explicit. There are lots of tweets that are clearly just the person's opinion that shouldn't be used. "It was intended as" or "I've always seen it as" shouldn't be used IMO.

Generally malware reports end up being the result of viruses already on someone's device. However, if you're seeing ones that aren't on your device, please report it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contact/bad-ad

Because those would be the result of ads being served to Fandom from a third party ad network. So we would want to know what the ad is, so we can find the network and then cut it off from the site.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Brandon rn
    [​IMG]

DarthJaceus and Brandon Rhea like this.
  17. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Not for nothing but Vader should've chosen the emperor in that scenario.

YEAH I SAID IT

BigAl6ft6 and CooperTFN like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, the hate is certainly flowing through me now.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Alright people, it seems that Vthuil has fallen. Somebody restrain him/her/it before somebody is hurt.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's the kind of forward thinking that gets you banned at the Wookieepedia. :p

21. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Anyone remember that time when it was literally days before TFA and they acknowledged the EU problem, "voted" for a separate tag and then implemented right before the film's release.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  22. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I wanted that done sooner as well. But, like a lot of people in this thread, it seems like you're harping on Wookieepedia about that solely to be vindictive. Is that really productive? I don't think so.

As for Maul - he's most likely talking about Obi-Wan, yeah, but do we know for sure? Nope. Why does there need to be a rush to add information? This is exactly the kind of thing that makes people like Pablo Hidalgo not want to talk about canon on Twitter. People are in such a rush to know things and document things right away that they forget to let the story unfold.

We'll know eventually what Maul (and Ezra) was talking about. Wiki articles, which shouldn't be a priority when it comes to consuming Star Wars story content, can be updated at that point.

23. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    On the front page, under "Explore Star Wars", there is a link to the comics category, and when you hover over it, it shows some links to popular comic series. However, none of the links are to new Marvel comics. I can't edit the front page, but I think it would be great if someone added at least the ongoing Star Wars and Darth Vader series.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012