main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Were you playing either of them?

3. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Not sure if you're serious, but there were a TON of references to all three made in the late 2000s era, which was the high point of SW EU. Back in the 70s and 80s there were obviously not nearly as much cross-continuity, but the were not explicit contradictions either, nor did some works intentionally went out of their way to ignore others, such as the new Imperial Palace being the Jedi Temple (How? Why!)

4. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    The fact that they brought back an unrecognizable version of Lumiya to fight an unrecognizable version of Luke in a story set nearly forty years after the Marvel comics is not what I would call the high point of Star Wars anything.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The RPG title page either mentions StoryGroup or Master of the Holocron; the publication dates roughly correspond to the establishment of NewCanon.
    'Non-canon ' is a thoroughly useless term for cataloging SW lore.

6. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Why?

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The LSG was created in late 2013 or early 2014, only a handful months before the reboot. The switchover to "Story Group" in the RPG books most likely reflects the establishment of the LSG, not the reboot.
    What else do you do with it, though? It's not canon. It's not Legends. It's problematic to even call it "FFG canon" or something along those lines since that implies FFG materials have a "continuity" of their own, which they really don't. It's just not easily classifiable, other than to throw it in the non-canon "miscellaneous bin" and make it available for folks to headcanon (or use in their RPGs) as desired.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Although that being said, don't the new TOR expansions thank the Story Group in their credits even though very clearly not being post-Disney canon?

Outsourced likes this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Right, because "Story Group" is a misnomer - all the licensed products go through them in the end whether they are part of the new canon or not.
    The post-buyout TOR material would likely be lumped in a "TOR canon" much like with FFG's RPG material - a self-consistent story setting based on Star Wars (and the pre-buyout versions of the video game/RPG)

10. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I'd offer a third concept to go along with canon and non-canon: "no canon." To me, FFG isn't canon or non-canon. It's just a thing that exists. There are story elements to it, sure, but since it's conceived to help people tell their own stories, it doesn't have to fall into the normal dichotomy.

11. Malachi108

Aug 8, 2009
    That's why is frustrates some of us to no end. Before 04/25 everything used to count. Then they threw it all away, but promised that everything from now on would count even more. Yet this example clearly shows that is not the case. They broke a functioning system and replaced it with a worse system.

Did Lee-Charr die in 19 BBY or not? I need to know. And since Darth Vader comic ended with him only imprisoned, then FFG must apply to his Legends biography. It can't not count at all, because unless something is a humorous parody, it all has to count! Cal it denial about the glory days of lost past, if you will.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    NOt really. It was only under a rather short time that everything counted, before that there was tones of SW material that was ignored, like the Jedi Prince series or the old Marvel Comics

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    If you need to know, you may be taking canon a bit too seriously. ;) IMO, stories are best consumed and enjoyed regardless of canonical status.

I do get where you're coming from, though. It's emotional continuity. I talked about it here:

14. Malachi108

Aug 8, 2009
    By the time I got into the EU, Marvel Comics and Jedi Prince series were referenced by Online articles, Reference books, not to mention other novels and comics. I'm aware that was no always the case, but the fact that it eventually happened made it even more fun. Everything counts! Most of the fun from reading James Luceno novel or Jason Fry Essential Guide was keeping a Wook tab open to check where all those hundreds of references came from. And sometimes those sources were ridiculously obscure, which only made the references more impressive.

DarthJaceus and blackmyron like this.
  15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    In canon, no. In Legends, we don't know - there is no Legends material that describes Lee-Char's activities or fate after his TCW appearance.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You know who else's fate isn't resolved in Legends? Ahsoka. If I still thought about continuity this way that would be far more annoying to me than Lee-Char.

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and Brandon Rhea like this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It's for a role playing game. It's not supposed to be an encyclopaedia.

Jeff_Ferguson and Gamiel like this.
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    That was really LFL and Chee, though - the various authors saw no issue with including them. After all, it was the whole Jaxxon article in Star Wars Gamer that brought it to a head when LFL tried to make the article "Infinities".
    That assumes that you consider the Clone Wars cartoon to be part of the EU. :p
    I kid (sorta). Sinrebirth and I are tackling issues like that in two similar ways. By not taking the concept of canon seriously.
    From an RPGer's persepective, a game setting is considered to be self-consistent, building on prior products - regardless of whether there's a 'metaplot' advancing the universe... and TOR does have an actual ongoing storyline. They have their own "canon" - I mean, you could build a wiki just based around FFG's RPG (and they have one for TOR). It's what appears in the licensed works; individual groups having RPG adventures means as much as it did in the WEG and WOTC days, i.e. doesn't factor into the equation whatsoever.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well even if you discount the TCW tie-in novels, she's also in a couple of the EGs as I recall. Naturally people can choose whatever they do and don't want to "count", but I was assuming if we're discussing what happens to Lee-Char that means we're being inclusionist where TCW is concerned.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I've tried to steer away from whether something is liked or personally liked - for the very reason that you stated, Coop. Even if I don't like LOTF or FOTJ, there's still works like Mercy Kill and Essential Guide to Warfare that reference them heavily. I don't plan on excluding any of it. (I'll check to see if FFG mentions anything about Lee-Char, though)
    The problem with the Clone Wars cartoon, however, is one that we've known for a while - that it clashed heavily with the already-established EU Clone Wars. It's something that I'll have to consider when addressing the Clone Wars material down the road; I'm just thankful that Dark Disciple was never produced as episodes and that the novel sits firmly within NewCanon.

DarthJaceus, Daneira and AV-6R7 like this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This seems to be something that gets assumed a lot for the Jedi Prince series, but it's really not true. From the very start, stuff from the series was getting referenced in Dark Empire and JAT. SPIN got referenced every now and then. One of the twelve original Grand Admirals comes from the series. And even the planet Duro's whole EU depiction, I believe, originates from the Glove books.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The Marvel Comics got referenced early on as well - Aargau gets a mention in the Han Solo and the Corporate Sector SB, for instance.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    But tell me, what of the Illegal Mon Calamari Whaling?

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    WOTC's Geonosis and the Outer Rim. :p

25. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This is something that a lot of fans forget in the age of Wookieepedia --- game Designers and authors don't write things so that they can be fastidiously documented and wrapped up satisfactorily. They can respect canon but still be more concerned about creating a good story.

As concerned with canon and continuity as I used to be, I was still rubbed the wrong way by the hyperest of hyperinclusionism. Like, there was some Clone Wars Game Boy game where you were Anakin, and the last boss is Count Dooku, and the fact that you kill Count Dooku at the end of the game led to an awkward and out-of-nowhere mention in Dark Rendezvous of Anakin having killed a Dooku clone. Was that... was that really necessary?