main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Go ahead and ask.

2. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    I know that I'm blocked for a month but in my defence I only have one thing to say and it's this:

I, SGCommand, live in the UK where we get ALL the Star Wars merchandise last and as a result I am unable to contrubute much. Try as I might, I know verylittle about Star Wars and unable to contribute to much. In the past mont, since Grunny warned me, I have been searching for articles to contribute to WITH some success but mostly failure. I also can't go on IRC for undisclosed resons. The only way for me to contribite is to fix any edit that I see and upload any images that you would like me to just as long as I have the graphic novel said image came from. As for the deleted pages, I ask you, at a later date, to upload them to save them to my required userpages once I made enough edits.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Gah I forgot.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maya Bohnhoff's newest blog update on the upcoming Shadow Games and Last Jedi had a fairly amusing tip of the hat to Wookieepedia. Apparently you know if your book's official when the fans know everything down to the birthdate and blood type of your second-rate characters.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Do we know anything about The Last Jedi?

6. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    It's probably the fourth Coruscant Nights novel.

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Its title is assuredly a misnomer.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, they forgot about Yoda and Obi-Wan. No biggie. [face_laugh]

I wasn't thrilled that Bohnhoff knew absolutely nothing about Kajin Savaros, a central character in POF, given that she claims after the fact to have been a co-writer of the book and to have "had a hand in creating" him. How exactly her involvement with the book went down still isn't clear to me. If you look at POF itself, there's only one author credited. Reaves gives her a "shout-out" in the acknowledgements, that's it. It seems as if she was brought in as an emergency measure to patch things up when Reaves fell apart, and now they're attached at the hip by decree of TPTB.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not going to lie, I had been exceedingly uneasy about her involvement a year or two ago when it was first announced, if only because her initial posts in her SW blog series revealed she had only a very passing knowledge of the EU. But since that time she's completely redeemed herself in my eyes, mostly because 1) she apparently has been researching the hell out of the EU to prepare for this book and 2) she's having a good time doing it. A couple of authors (who I will not name...) in the past have appeared to not take their job seriously: they all showed a marginal interest toward the SW universe on the surface, but it basically all came down to the paycheck for them. I think Bohnhoff's definitely setting herself apart from those guys, at least from the looks of her blog.

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I don't know if this is an April Fools prank or not, but considering the potential implications if it's true, I thought I should inform the community. I went to the Wookiepedia earlier tonight, and all the text was in red rather than black. I thought maybe there was a glitch on the site and the admins are currently performing maintenance. I went there a few minutes ago, and I saw this logo:

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/a/a7/WookieepediaNotice.jpg]

At first, I took this as face value, and thought, "Oh, boy. Looks like someone on the site ruffled someone's feathers at LFL. But then I noticed it was past midnight here, and so it's April 1st - April Fools.

I like to think it's a prank, but I'm not willing to dismiss it out of hand. I guess we'll find out over the weekend or Monday at the very latest.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Don't worry, it'll only be down for the duration of the emergency.

12. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    The 3D effect is killing my eyes. For those interested, I've spotted an error: Deceived mentions Alderaan having a moon, but Wookieepedia says it has 0. I thought Deceived was in error, but checked TES and it also says Alderaan has a moon.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Wow, I almost fell for an April Fools joke. Damn internet.

I can't imagine why wookieepedia would have anything licensed, anyway. The farthest I could see is the site having to take down all its quotes.

14. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The canon's not entirely in agreement on this either. The ANH novel originally established Alderaan as having no moons. Coruscant and the Core Worlds lists it as having no moons, then later mentions a moon. There's a moon that occasionally pops up in a few sources too. I think the Wook statistic is taken from the CCW charts, which give explicit numbers of moons for every planet in the book (and list Alderaan at 0), and thus was probably the default source by whoever put it in the article. With the Atlas giving its own chart with 1 moon and what you mention, it's probably time to change that.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Huh, I haven't seen that shutdown notice. But the 3D text is annoying, too bad I don't have the special glasses on hand.:cool:

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So I wanted to use Wookieepedia for some extensive RPG research, but it looks like it's going to have to wait until tomorrow. My eyes.

17. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Wookieepedia is indeed cruel. The 3D effect is only present in default Wikia skin for casual readers (which Wookieepedians hate) and is totally absent from the Monobook skin, which the majority of the editors uses. :oops:

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They've done a great job of sending away traffic.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I suspect they'll survive the exodus somehow.

20. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah, its painful on the eyes, but it is nowhere near as bad as the canon joke two years ago. That was total chaos.

21. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    I use Monobook and it is there.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    What happened last year?

I don't have a wookieepedia account, though I'm a fairly big user. I wish I had some 3d glasses on me.

23. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Gah, I just did an update for Tili Qua on the Wook, and now my eyes are hurting. Worst April Fools Day "prank" ever.

Unless whatever happened two years ago was worse?

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Gah...

That's an awful, awful layout.

This goes on the list as yet another reason why I hate 3D and wish it would hurry up and bomb.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ugh, I go to check Wookieepedia for something, and then I'm left straining to read even a paragraph. I know its just for today, but ugh, did they have to choose something that would give us a headache if we wanted to read Wookieepedia today? I can understand why they went for this, with the upcoming 3D re-releases, but still, its not really funny, just more annoying than anything else. Too bad they couldn't just rename the Wookiee for the day or something.