Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Relax, I was referring to one specific comment. One that was a question with an easy answer and which didn't really merit an "I hate Wookieepedia, it's too bureaucratic!" comment. "I don't understand what mainspace is" isn't reasonable criticism of Wookieepedia. Some of the other criticism leveled in this thread is, sure, but I wasn't responding to that. If someone has a question about how something at Wookieepedia works, then, well, they should ask somebody.
  2. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
  3. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Yeah, I started off trying to improve articles, especially working on the Zayne Carrick one. But I had some bad experiences over the Featured Article status of it, basically slaving away to bring it back up to the FA standard, and then having that status removed with no explanation and no response to multiple queries.

That basically killed any enthusiasm for becoming a regular contributor. I can understand snobbishness towards new contributors; admins are only human after all, but it really drives new people away. I haven't edited anything in almost two years, and I really have no desire to after what happened.

Edit: Hahaha, just read back a page with people having problems with Toprawa and Ralltir (the user, the planets I have no issue with :p ), and that's the exact same admin who I had issues with. Somebody better shut that guy up; looks like he's almost singlehandedly killing the Wook.
  4. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/2/29/Ralltiir_banker.png]

I wouldn't trust people that look like that anyway.:p
  5. Malachi108 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Just for the record: it was this person's attitude that prompted me to say "What the Hell?" and leave as well.
  6. KamSolusar Force Ghost

star 2
    I stopped contributing because I didn't like the direction the project was taking. It was started because Wikipedia deleted many articles about minor SW stuff. But instead of trying to be the Star Wars wiki that contains everything about SW, Wookieepedia turned into a wiki that is almost only about continuity and EU. Many other topics about SW fandom, memes and other SW related stuff are either deleted or moved to small, unknown SW wikis. Some people are really taking the project way too serious

And the other problem: for many editors and admins, policies and bureaucracy are more important than the actual content. For example, articles about characters have to contain a "Personality and traits" section to become a featured article. Even if the sources contain no explicit information about the character's personality. So nowadays most featured articles contain a "personality and traits" section that is mostly just original research, just to comply with the rules. Nobody really cares as long as you add references to your made up stuff.

7. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    "Personality and traits" is the most important part of a character article. And writing a "Personality and traits" section when there's not much info on the character's personality is as simple as saying "So and so followed the orders given to him by his commanding officer" or "So and so was a member of the Rebel Alliance." They're not substantial or brilliant, but they're not original research, either. Please find some examples if you're going to claim that most featured articles contain original research, because, frankly, it's a gross generalization that's not even close to being true.

I'm genuinely sorry if I sound harsh. I don't really care if people don't like Wookieepedia. If you've had bad experiences there, then complaining about them is fair game. I'm not an administrator or any sort of representative of the site. But I am experienced enough there that I can safely debunk the belief that the "Personality and traits" requirement breeds original research. Check out some Featured articles on characters and see what I mean.
  8. Malachi108 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yes, and that is while they have gems like these:
    Do the readers really have to know it or does it exist just to comply with the rules?
  9. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Whatever it is, it's observation of the facts --- it sure ain't original research.
  10. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Too right we want to know!!! Wouldn't you want to know if Winston Churchill was prone to screaming when mauled by a tiger??!
  11. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    [face_laugh]

That belongs in some sort of "Wookieepedia's Greatest Hits" collection...
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
  13. Duragizer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Ah, Wookieepedia ... It has been an invaluable resource for me, seeing as I am currently writing my own version of the PT and would like to keep things consistent with some of the established EU material. That being said, Wookieepedia is next to useless when it comes to learning about the original history of a work before it was twisted with retcons to fit something that came later, and the obvious fanw**king present in many articles only serves to make me laugh at how the SW Universe has become an incoherent mess and at the fans who try to make sense of it regardless of how fruitless their efforts are.

Oh, and this ... this ... Well, how can I take this seriously?

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090928155158/starwars/images/1/13/Force_rage.jpg]

The Force Rage! I can FEEL it! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

14. AdmiralSteven Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'm coming in to this discussion a little late, but I'd have to say that I love Wookieepedia. I find it an invaluable site for information regarding Star Wars. Thanks to all who's contributed to it.
  15. Karohalva Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Now I can't speak with any authority on the nature of anyone else at Wookieepedia, but can assure you that I am, indeed, a jerk. I was born to be a jerk, and I'm good at it, too. Who am I to spurn my destiny? Fortunately for you all, I just scamper around occasionally doing minor edits. I have no authority there. However, I don't notice any problems that occur there that couldn't have been prevented by leaping less rashly into the midst of an established community. The key, I think, is to join with sincere conviction that someone else knows better than you. Don't worry. Your own knowledge will be proven in time. First get a feel for the place. Get a feel for the people there, work for them, not against them. Then when they no longer consider you suspect, you'll actually find them on your side when you need backup.
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Wait, so there's now established guidelines on how to join an existing online community? Claptrap. That's not how I joined Wookieepedia, and it's not how anyone should have to join Wookieepedia. As long as they don't break the letter or spirit of the written and official rules, anyone should be able to do whatever they damn well please without brown-nosing to (specific) administrators, which is basically what anyone has to do to not be utterly harassed and harangued to madness and despair. The place has been turned into a dour, po-faced, utter chore to work on, and that wasn't always the case - this was back when relatively mature, intelligent people were in charge. Now the lunatics truly run the asylum. It's like a really unfunny version of Poe's "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether."
  17. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No there isn't, and I don't know who or what Karohalva thinks he's speaking for.
  18. DarthPhilosopher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Just thought I would note that Wookieepedia was mentioned in a relatively prime-time slot on an Australian ?Panel-Style? Comedy TV Show. The show is called Good News Week. Just in case no-body knew.
  19. DarthMRN Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I like how brutally honest you are about it. Is all anyone can ask. =D=
  20. Karohalva Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I'm only speaking for myself, which I had hoped was evident. My apologies for any misunderstanding.
  21. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Karohala, I think the problem is that a lot of us used to post there regularly when it first started, certainly "got a feel for the place," and then had a few awful clashes with some of the bureaucrats that took over. I won't have much to do with the site anymore because of it, but it's mostly because of only a handful of people there.

Was it good news, I hope? :p
  22. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    Believe it or not, I've actually got along quite well there.

I do well when I'm not given any leeway.
  23. DarthPhilosopher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It was the answer to a question asked to Simon Pegg.
  24. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Simon Pegg knows about Wookieepedia

It just got that much cooler
  25. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    Which is, I think, what most people who had a negative experience there have said.

I've only been interested in it as a research tool, but I find it unreliable for the same reason - only useful as a way to point to the source itself.