Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. DarthPhilosopher Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah. He didn?t even have to think about the answer. They gave it and like one second later he answered... granted he also knew the first line from the A New Hope crawl off the top of his head.
  2. Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If anyone at these forums doesn't know that, they should be stoned.

And by that I mean subjected to a stoning. Pot is no excuse to forget!
  3. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Simon Pegg and Nick Frost initially bonded over Nick's recognition of the frightened-mouse-droid sound effect when Simon made it at a party. True story.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Oooh I think I saw that. Top Gear, right?
  5. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

star 4
    Uh huh, so any problems is due to "leaping into the midst of an established community"? After over a year of constructive edits and no real problems with mods or admins (except having votes struck and question threads deleted), I fail to see how any of the things you just said is in any way valid. Also, this is a wiki site, not an admin's private tumbleground. If they can bend the rules themselves and obstruct other editors at random, they have no credibility.

Speaking of deleted threads, I now remember what it was about. I was writing an article on the "universe", having previously seen it redirected to "galaxy", despite several sources expliciting referencing the universe itself and even saying that it contained "galaxy upon galaxy" (quote from the Droids cartoon). I then tried to find out why it was re-redirected to "galaxy" when the two are two different astronomical terms and the thread was immediately deleted by the same admin (Toprawa & Ralltiir) claiming my question was "rubbish". So, apparantly, according to the admins and mods who "I need to get on my side", galaxy and the universe are one and the same. Even though there are seven minor galaxies orbiting the GFFA. Multiple universes, are they? :p

They don't, so why should I even have that conviction? A Wiki is a site where "anyone can edit". No more, no less. When mods and admins delete something based on the simple fact they haven't seen the source firsthand, then there's no trust of the editors, the wiki principle isn't followed and therefore there's no reason for editors to work extra hard in the first place. My deleted articles had sources and were still deleted. Simple as that.
  6. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    I got it from a A.V. Club interview, actually.
  7. Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I don't care what Universe you're from --- that's gotta hurt.
  8. Zorrixor Force Ghost

star 6
    Your mentioning of official rules strikes a rather familiar cord with me, 4 dot.

When I explained my own reasons not for contributing to the Wook the other week, I mentioned that it's because of my bad experiences with another wiki having led a generally sour taste in my mouth, and me not wanting to get embroiled in the same problems on the Wook that I did on the other wiki. And the source of the problems? The so-called "rules" which, as fast discovered, were little more than a personal smokescreen, adapted as often as it suited the administrators of said wiki to suit their personal needs.

They create their own arguments really by coming across TOO professional at times. Half the time, they'd avoid their own headaches by not having a 500 page guideline that nobody is actually going to read. I'd respect them more if they were honest and just came out and said "We own it. You do what we say." Sometimes, people need to step back, remember it's all a bit of amateur fun, and not take things so seriously. Alas, as I discovered on my own wiki experiences, and you and others have at the Wook, there's too often the few who let that little bit of amateur officialdom go to their heads.
  9. Eyrezer Jedi Master

star 3
    Here is Simon Pegg showing his intelligence. Look at about 6.30 for the key question and answer!

~Eyrezer
  10. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

star 4
  11. Cronal Jedi Knight

star 4
    I don't think personally I ever had any problem with Wookieepedia myself. I do contribute what I can and tried being more.. uh, detailed in my references. I do take some special interests in certain articles which I try to update like the Royal Guard or the Yuuzhan Vong. Have added some pictures as well. Only one occasion where I ever got involved in a problem was uploading a picture (The Force Unleashed from the TV) and got threatened with banning if I ever added anymore since they were bad quality. Mind you thats all nice and fine but when a person ends up suggesting that you are incompetent is about the height of the thing but didnt pursue the matter since it was likely the case that I would get banned. But meh, no one ever uploaded any picture from TUF so was doing my part to help at the time.

But thats about it really. Beyond that, been happily left alone and contributed to various articles when I can though I doubt any of mine will ever go to featured article status or the like.
  12. Karohalva Jedi Knight

star 2
    Fine, I recant everything I've said. I'll posit instead that Wookieepedia is what it is because that's what always happens whenever anything is created. Democracies may make the rules, but those with power interpret them. That said, I will admit it is much more impersonal and businesslike than it was when I first discovered it. Do I miss how it was when I joined in February '07? Yes, and I'm sure it was even more delightful when you others joined even earlier, especially for those who, unlike me, edited instead of reading. But Old Guard always get along better with each other than with newcomers. Sometimes life sucks. Sometimes people suck. Oh well, but on the bright side, not always.
  13. Zorrixor Force Ghost

star 6
    Actually, while the legislative may make the law, it's generally not the same people who interpret it. :-B

That's at the heart of the principle of the separation of powers, which in most Western democracies means trias politica, i.e. a three-way balance of power split between the legislative, the executive and the judiciary. With how ingrained that is the Western social psyche, it's why I've never been all that surprised with how easy it is for people to become disenfranchised with online communities, as virtually all websites just consolidate all power under one roof, making the internet much less about inclusive communities and much more just about "if you don't like it, go somewhere else", which is the antithesis of how Western society functions today in real life.

Anyway, that ends today's lecture on the legal separation of powers. :p
  14. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I am in the process updating my Gar Stazi article over at the Wook back to FA status and I am looking for some help on images. Does anyone with a good scanner mind helping me by uploading some images of Stazi, the GA fleet, and other pertinent stuff from Legacy: War?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :)

--Adm. Nick
  15. Cronal Jedi Knight

star 4
    Any issues of War and images particularly in mind?
  16. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I am looking for the following images:

Rogues attacking Sith battle cruiser Darklight (War #2)
    Stazi and Cade (War #2)
    Allied fleet arriving at Taivas (War #3)
    Fel and Stazi in Bastion medical lab (War #5)
    Stazi and Jhoram Bey (War #5)

Your help is appreciated!!!

--Adm. Nick
  17. Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Done! Check your Wookieepedia.
  18. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    You rock Jeff! :D

--Adm. Nick
  19. Cronal Jedi Knight

star 4
    I got ninja'ed :( To be fair, I was in the midst of doing it when I checked which ones you wanted and found them already uploaded :p
  20. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I still give you an A for effort. Your willingness to help was greatly appreciated! :)

--Adm. Nick
  21. Separatist101 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, that and Star Wars Fanon wiki
  22. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Dear Wookieepedia,

Why is Jacen Solo's article name "Darth Caedus"? Darth Thanaton's page is "Teneb Kel."

I went to the talk page since this has been bugging me for years. The most I could get in the way of explanation out of the conversation was, "This has already been discussed before so stop whining" and "It is this way because a couple of us say so."

I ask you, Wookieepedians, to reconsider. I ask you because 1) most people searching Wookieepedia for Jacen are searching for "Jacen," not "Caedus"; 2) most people know Jacen as "Jacen Solo" over "Darth Caedus"; 3) Darth Caedus was a name he took on in-universe during the very end of his life; and 4) whether or not Jacen died as "Caedus" or "Jacen" should really be a moot point when considering the title of an article.

Because seriously, every time I go to that article it just makes me go, "WTF"?
  23. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Look at the template placed in the talk page, Barriss, under article milestones: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Darth_Caedus
  24. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    And? That's what I'm talking about. It's a lousy rule.
  25. blackmyron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For the same reason that Mon Cala is called Dac, despite the entry on TOS, I would assume - personal whim.