main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wookies or Ewoks ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MikeSolo, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I heard awhile back that GL was orginally going to have Endor be full of Wookies and have the Wookies battle the Empire in the final battle. But GL changed his mind about that because Chewbecca was already Han's partner flying spaceships and using blasters. Is that true ? And if it is I have nothing aganist the Ewoks , I thought they were cool and enjoyed both Ewok TV movies but If GL didn't have Chewie as Han's side kick it would be been SOOOO cool to see a bunch of wild wookies kicking Imperial butt! GL could of gave Han another alien for a side kick.

What would everyone else want to see Wookies v Empire or Ewoks v Empire ?

Me Wookies v Empire

2. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    I could more easily believe that wookies could defeat the empire. Ewoks are OK though I guess.

3. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    I would like to see both. In a way, I got that with ROTJ. Both Chewbacca and the ewoks take over the AT-ST.

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I love how the Ewoks treat Chewie like some kind of big brother, heh.

5. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    chewie was always one of a kind to me, so id have to stick with the ewoks myself

6. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm glad he introduced a new species. It would have been Wookiee overload.

7. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Attack_of_the_Ewoks Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 8, 2003
  8. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Wookie Overload I'll take that :) I thought it was cool that Chewie teamed up with the Ewoks, but still I like Wookies more than Ewoks :).....Could the Ewoks and Wookies be related so how ?? :p

9. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I would have to say that a clan of Wookies defeating a legion of stormtroopers would at least be beliveable. Not to mention all of the plot possibilities that could have been opened up. Imagine meeting Chewie's family. Also, I hate Ewoks!

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Keep the Ewoks. We don't need another repeat of the Holiday Special...although seeing Wookiees kick some butt would be nice.

11. Killer Ewok

Killer Ewok Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 1999
    <--- What do you think? :p

12. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    EWOKS!

I like the idea that the Imps are so arrogant that little Teddy Bears kick their buttocks!

13. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think I can take the ah-eee-yah from the ewoks more than the araaaawwaaaagghhhh from a bunch of wookiees. It would be insanely funny to watch the endor battle with huge wookiees communicating with each other with their awwwgghharraaaaahhhhhhs. Funny, yet annoying. And Chewbacca would seem less unique.

Ewoks.

14. Steena

Steena Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2003
    ewoks are cool...wookies are great too though...i dunno which i like better, hmmm...

15. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    Ewoks, I like em, they're cool!

16. ladka

ladka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    I would have liked it best if there was a mix. Change the story so Wookies and Ewoks are different subspeics of the same species. They also could have worked it into the plot that the Death Star wars being built there so they could use the Wookies as slaves (I know this have been explorded in EU). They never really give a reason why the Empire would build the death star in the middle of nowhere, its not the empires style. It would be more like them to build it at one of their major shipyards and just put 100 Star Destoryers to guard it.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    9 out of 10 users prefer Wookies over Ewoks.

18. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    I like that idea Ladka.....having the Wookies and Ewoks together it would of made that final battle alot more interesting. An Chewie's background would of been explored more which would of been very cool.

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Wookiees!!

20. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Wookies

It would make more sense that Wookies defeated "An entire legion of my best troops" than teddy bears...ehem...Ewoks.

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I made this post awhile ago about this subject, and it still applies.

The end battle of ROTJ is fine the way it is. Let's examine it in terms of the entire saga (through ep2 st least). What causes the downfall of the galaxy and the rise to power of the Empire. Technology. Their ability to make a clone army and do it quickly is what allows them to push the galaxy into the Clone War. If they tried to do this with a regular army, I don't think they could. Theu just wouldn't have the numbers, nor would they have them in time. Part of what enables Palpatine to get Emergency Powers and declre war, is that he can get this army now. Not a few months from now, or next year, but right this instant. This army also enables him to take over the galaxy. The technology is what gives him this opportunity.

At the end of ROTJ, we need to see that things change, and we need to see the Technology of the Empire defeated. Doing it with better technology just defeats the purpose. You have to have people of lesser technologies rising up to defeat the Empire. Enter the Ewoks. Wookies would not work here. Wookies first and foremost, have and are good with technology. We see this through Chewbacca. He can fly ships, fix them, use any piece of technology that is available to him. And again, we go back to the idea of it being simply just "cool" and losing credibilty withing the stroy that's being told. Ewoks, are not technologically advanced, they have spears for weapons. This is the type of species we need to win the battle. Yes, maybe they could have been less cute, but the basic premise of what they were needs to remain the same.

People focus on the worng things when they talk about this battle. When the Ewoks are using rocks and spears when they are winning the battle? No. In the beggining when we see them using those weapons, they are being almost slaughtered. When they start winning is when they use more effective weapons. Logs falling from trees to crush the Walkers and rolling to trip them up. Ropes strung between trees to clothesline troops on speeder bikes. When you add these factors into the battle along with the Rebels and what they're doing, how is is it any wonder the Empire lost.

22. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    After having browsed through this thread a bit, I find it somewhat interesting that, while there are some that do know, many people don't know that there are two Es in wookiee.

As for myself personally, I agree, I like having one wookiee character and let the Ewoks be the species to help the Rebels on Endor; it helps to keep Chewie being the extra special walking carpet that he is.

23. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    My bad Wookieeeeeeee ops my finger slippeddddddd

24. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Well, most people probably think I'd say wookiee, cuz Chewie rules. And it would be cool to have seen a troop of wookiee warriors in action.

But, from a strategic standpoint it would'nt work. The reason the ewoks provided enough distraction to help beat the Imperials was because of surprise. The Empire either didn't know about them or didn't consider them a threat. If wookiees lived on that planet, the Empired definitely would have known and have taken measures to neutralize them, or have gotten their butts kicked already.

So from that standpoint only ewoks made sense.

25. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    I would've wanted Wookies VS the Empire, because that'd at least be believable. There wasn't any possible way for the Ewoks to truly win outside of that great strategy called "cinematic necessity".

Think about it. In the few bits of time between Wicket, or whomever, going out and bringing the Ewoks to the shield generator, how exactly did they cut down and de-limb all those trees for the logs they needed? How did they carry those logs? How did they set up them? How did their traps be set up exactly where AT-STs and troopers would walk? HOW DO STONES AND ARROWS KILL A STORMTROOPER IN BLASTER ARMOR? The only part of the Ewok battle that made any kind of realistic sense is Chewie and the two Ewoks taking over the AT-ST. I just can't buy the Ewoks defeating the mightiest legions in the Empire, with or without gigantic logs that magically appear from nowhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.