main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Woolworths] They're Back Baby!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Chewgumma, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I just saw an advert on the telly, apparently for those who mourned the loss of a long standing British institution and have a connection to the internet can once again shop at Woolworths, sure I think the two demographics are pretty much seperate but it's nice to see a company supposedly liquidised by the recession bite back.

See for yourself! :D

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I knew the online site was back but haven't looked around it.

The old Woolies store in my town is still empty after 11-ish months.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The local one here has become an Iceland.

I'm pleased to see Woolworths stay afloat, but I'm wondering how they managed it seeing the company supposedly went bust. Where have they found the money to get all the stock they have?

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm guessing that they couldn't sell all their old stock and so they had all that. This isn't anything new, the website was up a long time ago. I'm not expert but I expect that shutting down the shops was enough to keep them going as a website. The one near me is still empty and still has the Woolworths sign up. It'd be nice if it came back as a Woolworths shop, but I'm not expecting that to happen any time soon.

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    It's not that Woolies is back, exactly. It's just that the name was bought by another company, back in June IIRC. The intention was to relaunch Woolworths as a online-only store.

So really the only thing that's the same is the brand name. The stock and everything belongs to the new company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.