main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Word on Non-SW books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Star Wars books now number almost a hundred books, not counting the young reader series, RPG guides, short fiction and fan stories. That is a lot of literature for one to read.
    But just because there are so many SW books doesn?t mean that you have to read only SW. There are far more books out there that you will probably, if not likely like and enjoy. Star Wars authors don?t write just SW, they write a whole bunch of other books along with the SW book that they have been commissioned to write. Michael Stackpole, for example, has written the Dark Glory Wars, Once A Hero, Fortress Draconis, Talion: Relevation. Timothy Zahn has two current books out, The Icarus Hunt and Angelmass. The list goes on and on.
    I am encouraging everyone to read some non-SW works, for they are wonderful reads and reading SW all the time only narrows your view on Science Fiction. Star Wars is only a part of the science fiction realm, and there are a lot more good books out there.
    Like Timothy Zahn?s tactical work? Read Ender?s Game, Ender?s Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon, all by Orson Scott Card. Like starships and Han Solo? Read the Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn. Some other good sci-fi books are 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 by Arthur C. Clark. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, Jurassic Park and Timeline by Michael Crichton. Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. The list goes on for light years.
    Fantasy is also a huge field too. Orson Scott Card, Michael Stackpole, J.K. Rrowling, J.R.R. Tolkien are all writers in this section of litature as well. Their books are just as exciting as any sci-fi book around. The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King, Fortress Draconis, Harry Potter, The Lost years of Merlin. These are all really great books that should be read.
    There is a whole universe out there, explore it!

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Like Timothy Zahn?s tactical work? Read Ender?s Game, Ender?s Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon, all by Orson Scott Card.

Read 'em. Quite good. Also try Zahn's Conqueror's trilogy, superior to his Star Wars work.

Like starships and Han Solo? Read the Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn.

Icarus Hunt, on the other hand, sucked the big one.

Some other good sci-fi books are 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 by Arthur C. Clark.

The first two were good, 2061 sucked, and I frankly don't remember 3001. Rendezvous with Rama was excellent, though.

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, Jurassic Park and Timeline by Michael Crichton.

Michael Crichton's got a great imagination, but his characters could use some work. Love his books, though, and am eagerly awaiting the inevitable movie of Timeline.

Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle.

Haven't actually read this one.

Orson Scott Card, Michael Stackpole, J.K. Rrowling, J.R.R. Tolkien are all writers in this section of litature as well. Their books are just as exciting as any sci-fi book around.

Moreso, I'd argue, but I'm partial to fantasy. And I'd rank Stackpole and Rowling well below the "great" level.

The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King, Fortress Draconis, Harry Potter, The Lost years of Merlin. These are all really great books that should be read.

Eh. Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are great, if you're up to it. Harry Potter is good but far from great. Haven't read Merlin. Fortress Draconis, too, is less than great. Mike Stackpole's best, but not great.

I'd also recommend:

Clive Barker. His "fantastique" fiction started out as horror, evolved into very excellent fantasy, and as his career progresses he seems to be pushing the limit as to how close to reality he can go without losing that fantasy element. Some of his upcoming books should hearken back to the old stuff.

George R.R. Martin. Excellent, excellent medieval warfare fantasy.

Walter J. Williams. Not for everyone, but his sci-fantasy worlds are pretty outstanding.

Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep and Deepness in the Sky are kind of heavy, but pretty close to excellence. These are sci-fi, not fantasy.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and Liveship Traders trilogy are outstanding, as will be her upcoming Tawny Man trilogy. Haven't read her books as Meghan Lindholm yet.

Robert Jordan is not a "great," but his world-building is commendable and his books very exciting and compelling. One of my favorites.

Alfred Bester. He won the first Hugo award I think, for The Demolished Man. An OUTSTANDING sci-fi novel.

David Gemmell, also not great, writes awesome sieges.

Some other good current fantasy authors: Elizabeth Haydon, Terry Goodkind, David Farland (psuedo for Dave Wolverton).

Stay away from: J.V. Jones, Terry Brooks, R.A. Salvatore.

3. Corran

Corran Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    There is a Sci-Fi author called Peter F Hamilton who has written a triologi called At the dawn of night (or something like that) It is supposed to be one of the best sci fi storrys ever. (this is my next readings)
    also i heard that Dune is pretty good

4. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    <<There is a Sci-Fi author called Peter F Hamilton who has written a triologi called At the dawn of night (or something like that) It is supposed to be one of the best sci fi storrys ever. (this is my next readings)
    also i heard that Dune is pretty good >>

Peter Hamilton is an excellent British sci-fi author. His trilogy that starts with "A Quantum Murder"(at least I think that's the name of it) is a great read. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I really got into it and read all three novels.
    I think that SW has helped expand the sci-fi and fantasy publishing world. There are a lot more people spending money on these genres than ever before.

5. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    This is a list of fantasy that I?m happy to recommend to people. These are some of my favorite all-time fantasy books. They?re not always the best written or the best selling, but they?re the ones that I either physically could not put down or have reread umpteen times. There is no real order to the books, except that books more suitable for younger readers appear towards the top, while more mature novels appear down at the bottom.

The Magicians Nephew by C.S. Lewis
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
    The Horse and his Boy by C.S. Lewis
    Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
    The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
    The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
    The Black Caldron by Lloyd Alexander
    The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander
    Taran, Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander
    The High King by Lloyd Alexander
    Sir Stalwart by Dave Duncan
    The Crooked House by Dave Duncan
    Silvercloak by Dave Duncan
    The Hobbit (or, There and Back Again) by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
    Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings
    Magicians Gambit by David Eddings
    Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings
    Enchanters Endgame by David Eddings
    The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings
    Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Dragons of Winter Knight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Dragons of Spring Dawning by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Time of the Twins by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    War of the Twins by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Test of the Twins by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Well of Darkness by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams
    Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams
    To Green Angel Tower by Tad Williams
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
    The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
    The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan
    The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan
    The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan
    Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan
    A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan
    The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan
    Winters Heart by Robert Jordan
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan
    The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay
    The Wandering Fire by Guy Gavriel Kay
    The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
    Legends Anthology edited by Robert Silverberg
    Years Best Fantasy Anthology edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer
    Lord Valentines Castle by Robert Silverberg
    The Sword of Bedwyr by R.A. Salvatore
    Luthiens Gamble by R.A. Salvatore
    The Dragon King by R.A. Salvatore
    The Waterborn by J. Gregory Keyes
    The Blackgod by J. Gregory Keyes
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
    The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass
    Enchanter by Sara Douglas
    Anno-Dracula by Kim Newman
    The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
    The Mummy (or, Ramses the Damned) by Anne Rice
    Grunts! by Mary Gentle
    Assassin?s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
    Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb
    Assassin?s Quest by Robin Hobb
    Iron Dawn by Matthew Woodring Stover
    Jericho Moon by Matthew Woodring Stover
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover
    The Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover

My list of things that I mean to read between now and the end of January includes Terry Brooks Sword of Shanarra (I disliked it first time around two years ago, but I?m willing to give it another try), Robin Hobbs Liveship Traders trilogy, and maybe a little David Drake. And I?ll be rereading the Wheel of Time, since Winters Heart is about to be released in paperback. And maybe The Once and Future King; I?ve been meaning to read that for a while, but I?ve read far too much in the way of Arthur stories over the years; Arthur books are practically a genre unto themselves. [face_plain]

When it comes to Science

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    The four Rama books are definitely a good reading, IMO.

I wish I had time to read all that, but SW is already taking all the time I can spend reading... Well... At least till I've read all I still got to read...

7. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Will i be the first to mention the late great Douglas Adams?

Come on people...Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy and the four books that follow make up one of the founding trilogies:) of all Nerd/Geekdom...

And if you've already been through the five...then read his two Dirk Gently novels...Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul!!!

Also...i can't belive no one...NO ONE!...has mentioned the master RAY BRADBURY!!!...how can his fantastic career been forgoten...if nothing else read some of his short stories...a great place to start would be "The Illustrated Man"...the most fantastic collection of short stories ever written...

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I don't like Douglas Adams (too inane), and I don't like Bradbury either (don't like his style).

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I like Bradbury and Adams. Their books are pretty good.
    Those are some lists.

10. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    The Wheel of Time Series, most all of Arthur C. Clarke's works. Brave New World by Alduos Huxley. There are more.

P.S. I once created a thread like this, and some people posted some really great books. I'll go hunt for it.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Isaac Asimov is great too.
    (Great is a relative term. For me, I means anything that I deem really good.)

12. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I read Robert Jordan, I used to think he was "the best writer ever" then I opened my eyes to how much he used deus ex machina, how annoying his protrayal of women is sometimes, etc....but I still reccomend the books to people because his world has a lot of depth and politics etc. it's very interesting.

Right now I am really into Tad Williams. I picked up the entire Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series at a used book store, along with his first book, Tailchaser's Song. I am on the last book of MS&T, and the whole series is very, very good.

I don't think very many people (at least not anyone I know) read "only" Star Wars books. There may certainly be enough of them to, though...

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Tad Williams is very good, as long as you don't mind books so far even the author considers them bloated.

I really enjoyed Tailchaser's Song and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, but I couldn't get into Otherland (I got a quarter of the way through it) and I didn't try his other stuff.

14. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Yeah, I like books that are really long though. I bought the first book in the Otherland series but haven't read it yet.

15. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Some other good reads are:
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlen (one of the best books I've ever read)
    The Mote in God's Eye, Footfall, and Lucifer's Hammer all by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
    The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
    Dune, by Frank Herbert, is a must read for any sci-fi fan.

If you are intersted in some non science fiction here are some good ones:
    Battle Cry and Armageddon by Leon Uris (two more of the best books I've ever read)
    River God by Wilbur Smith (this one is tied for first with several others)
    The Year of the Death by Reuben R. Merliss. This one is probably out of print but is very good. The copy I have is so old the cover price is 75 cents.
    Night of Camp David by Fletcher Knebel and Seven Days in May by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II.
    An Army of Angels, I don't remember the author's name but the book was about Joan of Arc. I found it interesting that at the beginning of each chapter there was a copy of her signature from the confession she signed before they burned her at the stake. The only word she could write was her name.

I hope everyone tries all the books that have been suggested in this thread and likes them half as much as the poster. If you do you'll probably love them.

Lordmaul13

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Some non-SCI-FI books are good too. Some times I see things that seem to be bases for star wars things.
    WWII: Band of Brothers, Enemy at the Gates, Ghost Soldiers, All good books.

17. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Has anyone read The Dig by Alan Dean Foster ? It is the novelization of the Lucasarts adventure game based on an idea of Steven Spielberg. This game is IMO one of the best game ever made, and I was wondering if the book was as good as the game... Does anyone know ?

18. jediwenger

jediwenger Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2001
    I've posted something similar before but a few books well worth reading are:
    Anything by Neal Stephenson, 'Snow Crash' and 'The Diamond Age' are two of the best pieces of Sci-Fi I have had the fortune to read. His latest book, 'Cryptonomicon' is slightly less scifi and explores the world of cryptography and code breaking. It is set during the second world war and present day but is a very long read.
    Another author worth trying is Michael Marshall Smith. He generally produces scifi although I have read no-body like him before or after. A friend whom has borrowed these books likens his style to Terry Pratchet.
    If you like the strange and bizarre then Jeff Noon is definitely worth a try but apart from 'Automated Alice', a twist on Alice Through the Looking Glass' they are best read in order, Starting with 'Vurt'.
    For a bit of light hearted yet clever humor then Matthew Thomas is worth a read, 'Before and After' may be a little dated seeing as it deals with the turn of the 21st Century but still extremely funny. His second book 'Terror Firma' is just funny.
    For times of reflection and seriousness then Douglas Coupland is worth a read. 'Girlfriend in a Coma' really makes the reader think about themselves and what is important.

Good luck to the Gunners, They need it after last nights debacle.

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The lost years of Merlin are some of the best fantasy that I've read.

20. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Peter F. Hamilton's sci fi series was called The Night's Dawn trilogy, and it is excellent. Defintely a different kind of scifi, with great characters and nice realism considering that it takes place in the 27th century. If you do pick up the books, though, Id get them in the 6 paperbacks available as opposed to three 1,000 page HCs. Oh, and I read his Greg Mandel novels as well, and thouroughly enjoyed them.

Here are a few other suggestions ( as if there havent been enough ) :

The Age of Unreason, by Greg Keyes
    Evergence (trilogy), by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    A Second Chance at Eden (a collection of short stories that is a good setup to the Nights Dawn Trilogy) , by Peter F. Hamilton
    Timeline, by Michael Crichton
    Hyperion (four books), by Dan Simmons
    Foundation (six books), by Isaac Asimov

*** obviously there are many other great books out there. When I get the chance Ill search my library and come back.

21. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    I dont think anyone yet has mentioned it but everyone MUST read RAS forgotten realms stuff. Tottally imersing, interesting characters, lots of plot twists and everythign else you could imagine. Also check out the Age of Unreason series by Greg Keyes. Much better than Edge of Victory. Im halfway through the third in the series and its an amazing read.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Age of Unreason is good. I've heard that Kathy Tyers Firebird trilogy is good too.

23. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Read Dune people!!!!!!! They are the most incredible books ever. They rival my addiction to Star Wars. I guarentee you'll like them. They are so amazingly well written and so detailed. They're also kinda confusing at first but I like that. Makes me feel like I'm learnin' somethin'. Once you reach the end and you get past all the confusion, you'll sit back and go "whoa." I did, literally. [waves hand] You will read them. You will read them all!! [laughes manically] Is that a word? Anyways, they're by Frank Herbert.

24. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh, yes, the Dune books are true classics. My personal faves are Dune and God Emperor of Dune. :D

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I had a little trouble getting into Dune. I read REALLY fast and I miss alot of things. I enjoyed it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.