Workin' on our website...

Discussion in 'Phoenix, AZ' started by kreleia, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    no. the domain name was not free. It's all in where you point to.
  2. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    so you paid for a domain name, and you have to pay 50 dollars to be able to say goto phoenixfanforce.com/stuff/ and not have banners?

¤Night
  3. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    exactly. If we had a dedicated ip address (non-subfolder), there wouldnt be any register.com banner on the bottom. Right now we have free server space (hundreds of megs) and no pop ups.
  4. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    of course, phoenixfanforce.com can have /stuff folders/pages.
    example... www.phoenixfanforce.com/photos would take you directly to a photos page.
  5. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well why can't you make it phoenixfanforce.com/index.html and not have the banner rather than phoenixfanforce.com/stuff/index.html and have the banner?

¤Night
  6. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    the true address for the homepage IS http://www.phoenixfanforce.com/index.html.

your kinda losing me.
  7. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    there is a way to access it without the banner.

http://66.113.171.86/staging/pff/ will take you there too, but I'd rather not go that route.
  8. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    lol i'm lost too....

i thought that if you weren't linking to a subfolder there was no banner.
    I also thought that, because there was a banner, you were linking to a subfolder

Now i find you're not linking to a subfolder, but there is still a banner.

So what is phoenixfanforce.com/index.html a subfolder of?

¤Night
  9. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    LOL. Technically, pff is a subfolder of
    "http://66.113.171.86/staging"

Are you confused?
  10. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well...........

ummmmm

yes.

what if you make it the MAIN thing of thatever you just typed?

¤Night
  11. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Because moving the "main thing" is unfortunately not an option. :)
  12. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If that register.com banner is a problem, we can either move the site to a different server or give register $50.
  13. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Anyone who types phoenixfanforce.com will see it as the "main thing".
  14. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i gotcha!

i understand!

//clouds open and light comes down

well, i don't have a problem with the benner but if you guys wanna get it removed i can chp in 5 bucks with paypal

¤Night
  15. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
  16. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ?[face_plain] Y'know what? Don't bother re-explaining. At some point, it'll dawn on me exactly what it was you just said. :)

As it is, I'm sure we could find 10 people here who are willing to throw in 5 bucks apiece. Maybe we'll do a little "collection" at the Feb. 9th meeting.

kreleia ^.^
  17. Lord_Erly Jedi Knight

star 1
    Subjugator, you can get a domain name and webspace for less than $50 (a month).
    Maybe I was misinterpreting your words, but it seems like you're paying more.

Anyway, http://www.pair.com/pair/shared/ftp.html is just an example of what I'm talking about.
    internic charges approximately $14 a year for a domain name, so you should be able to find pricey offers all over the place.

The one above sports 100MB webspace and a domain name, as well as FTP access for $6 a month, so that's about $72 per year.

Even though, Pair is expensive, and you should easily be able to find a webhost who'll host you for as little as $3 a month, which really is a bargain, considering you have your webspace that is directly linked to your Domain name (.net, .org, .com).

Works like a charm, and looks professional.

Just thought I'd drop a line. See yas
  18. Gavin Jedi Knight

I have my site up at interserver.net and its $12.95/mo, but you get discounts if you pay for longer amounts of time. I think you get like 155 MB of space too plus 7 GB transfer and 25 email addresses. Pretty solid.

And you can keep the domain name (I figured you smarties already knew that).
  19. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Here are the specs...

200MB Disk space
    6GB Monthly traffic
    600,000 hits/month
    Your own domain name (e.g. yourname.com)
    Free assistance with domain name registration/transfer
    24x7 FTP access
    Web-based control panel (SiteControl)
    Microsoft® FrontPage® extensions
    Detailed traffic stats (Analog)
    Access to raw log file
    10 POP3/SMTP accounts
    Web-based email (SiteMail)
    Catch-all default account
    Unlimited forwarding
    Unlimited email aliases
    Unlimited autoresponders
    Mailman mailing list3
    Your own CGI-BIN
    Perl v5.x, C++, gcc, TCL, Python
    CGIemail
    Counter
    FormMail
    Guestbook
    Message Board
    SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption
    Free secure server URL
    SSH (Secure Shell/Telnet) encryption
    Intrusion Detection System
    Daily data backup
    Dual Pentium III
    RAID SCSI drive system
    Linux (RedHat 6.0 based )
    Apache 1.3.x
    Multiple OC3 lines
    UPS power back up
    Anti-static environment
    Triple power back-up
    24x7 network monitoring
    24x7 security guard
    Redundant HVAC system
    Video camera surveillance
    Shockwave

all for free

20. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Holy....!!! WOW!!! **starts seriously reconsidering her own domain**

kreleia ^.^
  21. Lord_Erly Jedi Knight

star 1
    So it's $50 a month?
    I'm pretty sure you could get something cheaper, 200MB Space and 6GB/Month sounds a bit large to me.

A Traffic Limit is always a two-sided sword.
    May I suggest you try picking up a host that offers 50MB without traffic limitation for $10/month. You'll see that's more than enough space and saves you a lot of money.

On the other hand, if it's $50/year that would make it a bargain.
  22. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hmmm where can we obtain all this?

¤Night
  23. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Night and Lord_Erly!!! GUYS!!! Hello!! What on earth is wrong with this setup? Why is it necessary to badger Subjugator about his choice? Like I said, I'm sure the folks here in AZ won't have a problem dishing out $5 or even $2.50 a piece to pay for our domain name.

And, please enlighten me. When are we *ever* going to get 600,000 hits a month on our site? Hmmmm?? We're putting up a Star Wars FAN site, not the official site.

Please, I don't mean to come across as harsh, but I'm completely baffled as to why Subjugator made a bad choice. The guy is a graphic designer and does this kind of stuff as a profession! And, he's been awfully kind to put this up without charging us a single cent whatsoever. If all we have to pay is $50 for the name itself, then I, for one, am not going to complain.

Please. Stop. I'm glad that you feel welcome on our board, but please remember that you don't live in AZ. What we do and how we do it really isn't that big of a deal, especially when you don't know what other surrounding circumstances might be affecting our (or in this case, Subjugator's) decisions.

Thanks for all of your input, but unless you have anything *constructive* to say, please keep quiet. (And by that I mean, unless you have found a far better server for far less money, give us the link - but don't just badger.)

kreleia
  24. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    whoa whoa whoa!

hey i'm sorry. if you look at Erly's post he edited it at 2:20, the same time my post was made. I was asking Subjugator where i could obtain what he had found! Not erly! I don't quite remeber what erly said originally, but it wasn't that. What subjugator found seemed like a great deal! i wanted to know cause i recently was looking into domain names and this looked great to me! remember i too said i would chip in some money if you wanted to pay the 50 bucks!

hey, fine if that's the way you feel, you won't have to worry about seeing me around here anymore, i guess i learned my lesson about staying out of places i don't live in.

¤Night
  25. Subjugator Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I dont think they were badgering...just curious. Hosting several websites on my server, I charge those clients a reasonable fee. That covers all my costs. I use hostway.com.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.