main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Working a horse from the ground

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    What do you think about "ground-working" (is there a better English term for it)? What kind of "ground-work" are you doing with your horse? Are you following instruction from a certain person like Pat Parelli or so? What is your aim? What kind of exercises are you doing?

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think working a horse from the ground is very important. Using a Lungeline and getting the horse to respond to the sound of your voice. Some of the Pat Parelli stuff is a little odd in my opinion. For most of the younger horses that i've worked with, I ALWAYS start on the lungeline. This also allows them to work out any bucks that they might be feeling.

There are many different devices that one can use on the horse while they are lunging which has them fighting themselves as opposed to you. Sidereins teach a horse to balance and keep their body rounded. I used this on an off-the-track Thoroughbred who only knew how to go around with her head up. Then when she got frustrated I wasn't in danger because I was already on the ground.

I also think part of ground training deals with walking on a lead line. There is nothing that bugs me more than a horse that walks all over you while trying to lead them from place to place. To this respect, something called Showmanship teaches a horse to respond to slight signals of the leadline (with a chain).

This will make things easier when/if you have to trailer the horse somewhere, or if the vet has to come out. The farrier will also love you if the horse has learned to stand still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.