main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Working on a game hacking (legal) project. Stupid problem.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Zero_has_lightsaber, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    I am working on a game hacking project, but it has come to a screeching halt. The problem isn't something complicated like errors in the game code or that I cannot find a hex address of some piece of data. No, the problem is quite stupid.

You see, the game I am hacking is a Playstation game on a CD. Unfortunately, the game also uses audio tracks on the CD. This means I cannot simply burn the original game to a CD-RW, and just add and replace files to the CD-RW copy because of the format due to the audio tracks.

Before you all scream "omg! software piracy!" I actually do own a Playstation and legally own a copy of this game.

Some hackers told me to rip an ISO and to edit that using ISO editing programs. I have been testing numerous programs for the past 2 months. Most of them were spectactular failures, and the one that I have gotten to remotely work is something called UltraISO.

I have been posting about my problem on various tech boards, but I keep getting non-helpful responses or gibberish from idiots that cannot spell correctly.

So here is my problem now:

I put the CD in my drive and extract a single folder called "DATA" and put it on my HD. This foldered is unmodified, it is exactly the same as it is on the CD.

So I use UltraISO to make an ISO from the CD and save it in Alchohol 120% format (.mdf/mds). I load the .mds in Daemon Tools virtual drive and load the game in epsxe (a Playstation emulator) using File -> Run CDROM and set epsxe to read from the virtual drive. The game works.

Now here is where things mess up: I use UltraISO to overwrite the folder "DATA" in the ISO with the same folder "DATA" that I had saved to my hard drive previously. Remember, the "DATA" folder I had saved to my hard drive previously had no changes.

I load this new ISO with the overwritten "DATA" folder into Daemon Tools and load it in epsxe the same way I did before. The game no longer plays at all.

What gives? I virtually did not even change anything.

Could it be my computer is too old? Here are my specs:

CPU::
    Intel Pentium III 548 Mhz
    Cooling::
    ACPI Fan
    Motherboard::
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to ISA bridge (ISA
    Memory::
    128 MB RAM
    Video Card::
    3dfx Voodoo3 3500
    Monitor::
    Sony HMD-A100
    Sound Card::
    Creative SB Live! Value
    Storage::
    WDC AC313600D
    Others::
    Sony CD-RW CRX100E
    O/S::
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I think this level of shadow replication is too advance for most of us mere genin in the club. ;) Zero, I'd be more careful concerning "kage bunshin no jitsu", even if it is for training purposes such jitsu are not discussed freely in this forum due to certain binding jitsu.

3. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    The hell are you guys talking about?!?! :eek:

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Pay it no mind Erick... If you learn all the hand seals of ninjitsu then I'll tell you. Until such time, nevermind. :p

5. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    To those that do understand the ways of ninjitsu: I am wondering, can DirectCD burn a game with audio tracks and let me edit the data on the burned game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.