main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Working with Worbla

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by 72Princess, Mar 26, 2013.

1. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Several of us have recently acquired WORBLA, a fantastic material that can be heated and molded, reused, painted, shaped, etc.

I wanted to start this thread to share experiences, success and failures of working with this wonderful material.

2. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    Here is a quick and basic tutorial: LINK

BPStoyle likes this.
  3. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    After some trial and error, I have the framework for my Boushh armor complete! Now to work on the collar portion before filling, sanding, priming, painting....

4. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Really interested in seeing your work on this, Anna. It would be great if you could document the stages or post some pictures so we could see the process.

5. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I dont have an online account that would permit me to post photos... :confused: I have been taking photos throughout the process. I'll see what I can figure out.

6. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Anna, try taking them with your iPhone. I was able to upload pictures right to the forums using the tapatalk app.

Can't wait to see your progress. Very curious to see if this process can be used for other armor.

72Princess likes this.
  7. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Measuring with paper. (I used newsprint)

8. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Using the paper template for the foam then measured the foam one more time on the dressing form.

9. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    More trimming and sizing of the foam

10. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG] Placing the foam on the worbla. I missed the step of heating the worbla first. Instead, I made a foam, worbla sandwich then heated both sides. It worked, but I think it was more work and would be better by heating the worbla, placing foam, the covering w worbla and heating the other side. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The form for the base of the armor. I am holding the front down as it will be connected to a comlink. Starting to work on the collar tonight. The front will be turned up, the collar will be an additional piece. [​IMG][​IMG] my end goal- or something close...

12. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    What type of foam are you using for the middle of the worbla sandwich?

Looks awesome BTW! I can't wait to start messing around with the stuff I bought.

13. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    The foam I am using is actually a headliner foam I bought in a large roll at Joanns. Most tutorials recommend a craft foam. All I could find is 8 1/2 X 11 sized sheets at Joann fabrics.
    The thicker foam has left my armor a bit flexible, which works for this particular project, but I would not recommend for a solid type of armor (example a MANDOLORIAN) . I also wanted the thicker foam due to the thickness necessary for the armor. The "Worbla sandwich" is recommended thought, the material is too thin to shape well in one layer and it tends to show every little detail, finger print, bubble, etc.

I think I am going to use the craft foam for the collar and the ridge around the front of the armor.

I would also recommend a large heat gun. I tried using my small one I used for embossing and it was simply too small. I bought a nice big heat gun at Home Depot for $25 in the paint section. It has made all the difference in the world!

14. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I will have to invest is some of that foam you describe before I get to work n my project. Thanks for doing this thread I'm sure it will help us all out!

15. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    This looks awesome, Anna!

16. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Great stuff so far!

17. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shaping the collar and molding the front. The wonderful thing about Worbla is it is so easy to mold and manipulate. It stays pliable for several minutes after heating so there is time for "tweaking". I used the styrofoam block to hold the shape while the Worbla cooled.

18. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The collar is attached! The Worbla has glue on one side. I shaped the foam, cut and heated the Worbla accordingly, then attached it to the outer form of the armor. I did this so I can "sandwich" the collar into place.

19. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG]The inside of the collar.
    [​IMG] The interior layer before the Worbla was heated and pressed into place. In order to have the glue side facing the right way, I had to use and cut my pattern upside down.

20. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [​IMG]The collar is on!

With all of the heating and manipulation, the front edges were altered and "bent out of shape". I will need to fix that next but I know it will not take long.
    The right side of the collar has a fold I could not smooth out. Once I fix the front, I am hoping I can fill that one side so it will not be as obvious.

BPStoyle likes this.
  21. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Great job Anna!

72Princess likes this.
  22. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    = impressed!
    you are doing an amazing job!

72Princess likes this.
  23. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    looks really great!

24. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    you should see it now!! I am SO PROUD!! Pics to be uploaded later... :D

Darth Erebus and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  25. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    For anyone working with Worbla, Joann Fabrics now has rolls of craft foam! Great for this larger projects!