main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC 2009

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by SueAsideRide, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    It's the second edition of the international baseball tournament, and it kicked off today in Tokyo with defending champion Japan defeating China 4-0. I'm excited, especially since I'll be attending the games in Toronto. Canada is in a tough group with the USA, Venezuela and Italy, but I think they have a pretty good chance. The tournament in 2006 turned out better than I expected, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Sites and teams:

POOL A (Tokyo):

Japan
    China
    Korea
    Chinese Taipei

POOL B (Mexico City):

Mexico
    Australia
    Cuba
    South Africa

POOL C (Toronto):

Canada
    USA
    Italy
    Venezuela

POOL D (San Juan):

Puerto Rico
    Dominican Republic
    Panama
    Netherlands

After this round, the second round will take place in San Diego and Miami, with the semi-finals and finals to take place in Dodger Stadium. Anyone else watching this tournament?

GO CANADA!

2. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    Update: Chinese Taipei has been eliminated by losses to Korea and China, and Korea took a major thumping from Japan, losing 14-2. Next elimination game is tomorrow with China facing Korea.

Later today, Holland faces The Dominican Republic, Canada plays the USA, Panama plays Puerto Rico and Italy meets Venezuela.

GO CANADA!

3. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I'm heartbroken by the loss of my team (Dominican Republic), but oh well, baseball is that unpredictable :p

4. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    How do you think I feel? Canada was knocked out by Italy! Granted, our four best pitchers weren't there, but damn... The Canada-US game was great though, in spite of the loss.

Round two starts today. In Miami, the Netherlands faces Venezuela this afternoon with the US meeting Puerto Rico tonight. The San Diego group starts tomorrow with Japan vs Cuba (a rematch of the 2006 final) and Mexico vs Korea in the evening.

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Mercy rule. lol at that game.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Definitely - lol @ the US getting mercy rule'd :p

7. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    Yeah, that was pretty frickin' funny.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't get why this is not more popular. I love the idea of the WBC. The games are fun to watch.

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The problem which I think is a very valid one is how it hinders Spring Training

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, cut the number of teams, and maybe do it while taking a week for the All Star game, maybe I'd be more excited. Though I still don't know how I'd feel about Major Leaguers being involved. Especially pitchers. I was very glad when the Brewers decided to not let Yovani Galldardo pitch for Mexico. I'd much rather have him on the team getting ready for the season.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The idea of it I love, The execution, I find severely lacking.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh whine. (this is not directed at you Inty.... but at some fans I've heard and some sportscasters) As if Major League soccer players from around the world don't take time out of their precious greedy lives to play in the World Cup every four years. Honestly, America's attitude towards the whole thing sucks. We deserve to get our asses handed to us every time until we pull it out.

13. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    ^ Bravo. I think American fans would only really care about this if they had won every game in '06 by ten runs and humiliated everyone else. Guess what? Talented ballplayers come from a bunch of different countries! You won't win all the time! I find this tournament very enjoyable in spite of Canada getting wiped out in two games.

I think this is why American sportscasters refer to Super Bowl, World Series or NBA Championship winners as "World Champions". An American team always wins.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That's exactly my problem with it Strilo. It's not a showcase event unless it actually showcases the best talent in the world.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am sure it took a while to get the other world cup type competitions dialed in and working well. Give the WBC time to really get things tweaked and settled in.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I agree, but to a degree-even if more top U.S. talent were to play in future WBC's, a World Series championship (is still) > than any other baseball team award. This is why I cannot ever get 100% behind the WBC. Soccer is different in that the World Cup is > greater than any other soccer championship.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
  18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That is America-centric thinking and it will probably change over time if the WBC gains momentum and prestige.

19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Where's the advertising for the WBC? A casual fan of baseball in the US might not even know about the whole event. The freak'n game was on ESPN deportes. No, you can't rip on the American fans. I saw games in other countries that didn't draw big crowds.

Great game last night though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-perezteamusa031809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    Nice story.

20. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    And with MLB teams blocking the participation of many of the players, it will never be the wonderful show it can be.

21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I think maybe they should do it before Spring Training as a form of winter ball. I just think it hurts the cohesion of the Spring Training process of building a ball club for the regular season.

22. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Well, Toronto did win the '92 and '93 World Series. :p

The amount of international baseball talent is staggering. The Dominican Republic pumps out ballplayers at a ridiculous rate, Puerto Rico and Venezuela aren't too far behind, and now Japan and Korea are making their presence known. And the proportion of international players will continue to increase. I suspect Americans will make up a minority in MLB in less than 20 years.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Even if it does, do you really think that a WBC title will one day have more prestige/value than a World Series championship? Seriously?

24. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    World Baseball Classic has become all the more relevant now that the Olympics has eliminated baseball. I all ways thought the Olympic competition was much more interesting considering the fact it wasn't flooded by Major Leaguers. I see the reasoning for it but the fact is I don't believe in MLB's intentions for it to spread Baseball to other countries. Baseball has been around forever and the countries have decided if it will become a part of their culture or not. Did anyone hear about this memo from Selig's office that makes it a fineable offense to say anything the least bit contradictory to the WBC?

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes I do think that is a possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.