main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC 2009

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by SueAsideRide, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Only four teams remain: USA, Venezuela, Japan and Korea. Sounds like an exciting final four, although I don't know how Venezuela made it with that pitching staff.

I know this tournament could have been better advertised, but they did talk about it at every opportunity during last year's MLB playoffs. It seemed that they talked about the Toronto pool every time a Canadian player was on the screen.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Do we know yet who plays whom in the semifinals?

3. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    At Dodger Stadium, Korea faces Venezuela Saturday at 9 Eastern time, and Japan meets the USA at 8 on Sunday. Winners meet in the final on Monday at 9.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I don't think it will be a good thing if that does happen.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And why is that?

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The history of MLB's World Series is much longer than that of the WBC, and the WBC is a short tournament......................not the championship decided after a long season.

7. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    So who knew that starting Carlos Silva over Felix Hernandez would be a bad idea?

Oh that's right. Everyone but Luis Sojo.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's weird to see a baseball game (at the pro level) at Dodger Stadium that's not a Dodger game.

9. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    Last night's game was good, especially Japan's five-run fourth inning. Overall, I think it's been a fun tournament to watch. They should keep Toronto as a first-round city since the games were good here.

Japan faces Korea (fifth time in the tournament) for the final tonight, 9:30 PM Eastern Time. Should be a good game!

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    It should be a very interesting game tonight, both these teams have played very well to get to the final.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is a really sour ending for me. For the tournament to be this short, and the teams to have already played that many times in it, and then just call this meeting the final just seems off to me. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

12. SueAsideRide

Oct 5, 2000
    Japan takes it again, 5-3 in 10 innings. They almost gave it away with two out in the ninth, but managed to come back.

CONGRATULATIONS JAPAN!

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I caught some of the game, and the Japanese team was indeed very good...they deserved to win.

14. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Agh Steve Phillips, Joe Morgan, and Bud Selig in the same broadcast booth for the final game. That was the most painful color commentary I've ever heard from a baseball game.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    What gets me is why are Japanese imports so hit and miss in US ball? They are clearly the dominant country in producing ball players.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Having the best country team doesn't always equate to being dominant in producing players.

(this statement not meant to demean Japan in any way)

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tournament baseball is also WAY different than a 162-game grind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.