main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG WORLD CUP 2002 - THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by bobafett81, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HumsupFett

HumsupFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2000
    I was thrilled watching KOREA beat the AngMohs (Poland) yesterday nite while watching the friendly RTM channel (I have not subscribe to SCV Sports Channel). As I have predict that the Koreans will go the furthest among the 3 Asian teams, they have shown me what they are capable of yesterday. The Poles simply was out speed, out maneouvre, out witted, by the Koreans. I think the weather plays a small part and the Koreans has home ground advantage. But nevertheless, the lads did extremely well and I hope they will reach the 2nd stage.

As for China, it was expected. I think Costa Rica is the weakest team (on top of China) in their group and if they cannot beat Costa Rica, they cannot beat the rest. I was just hopping they can score at least ONE goal and don't let down the billions at home... they still have a long way to go... It took the Koreans many World Cup rounds to finally get a win yesterday. With the billions in China, there should be no lack of talents to achieve what the Korean does... time is the essence :)

Very long winded... haha, must stop now

2. hazellukeyang

hazellukeyang Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    I don't care about football at all but since China is there I paid a bit attention of yesterday's result. Too bad they lost. But things are not that easy, at least Chinese show up.

3. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    yeah, but i still feel japan is the best among the 4. Maybe recently (1 mth b4 world cup) korea has managed to improve tremendously. Beating scotland 4-0, losing to France by last min winning goal. 3-2. Nevertheless it's always good to see Asian sides participating in World Events against those Ang Moh. Our hope now lies on Korea n Japan to qualify for the second round at least.

4. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Poor Portugal lost..but I'm quite pleased with it, USA having its first win in the World Cup on foreign soil in 52 years. :)

Now hoping that the Germany Ireland game will be just as exciting.. :D

5. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    man, the germany vs ireland game was exciting enough...

a draw 1-1... and ireland shot in the goal at the 92th min... :: shakes head :: nort heart-stopping... :D

ha, roy keene were you watching this?

6. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    My brother loves the irish and scottish, so both of us shouted when Ireland scored. I had this gut feeling that a miracle would happened.. :D

7. bobafett81

bobafett81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    USA USA USA... Singapore Pools muz be laughing to the national treasury!

8. HumsupFett

Dec 7, 2000
    The results is NOT correct for the USA - Portugal match. I was watching the match LIVE yesterday (MC lah ;)) and in the first half where the Yankees scored 3, it seems that Portugal is playing 3-4-3 formation. Obvioulsy the Portugees are hoping to have a big scoreline but it turns out that the Yankees are no easy pushovers. Personally, I'm dissapointed at the results... Portugal should win. Its not that I'm betting or what but I just feel that Portugal should win.

The Germany - Ireland match, the game play turns out to be the predictable European playing style... boring. As a supporter of Germany, this team is not really their strongest and like Liverpool, after scoring a goal, they just sit back and lost the initiative. The Irish deserve an equaliser. The Germans need to wake up their idea.

Today, we'll see France playing Uruguay (?) am I right? I do not like France at all and hope they lost this match. Anyway, I do not like Uruguay either when their comments saying coming to Singapore for a warm up match is a "waste of time". Its quite true in a sense but there is no need to speak your mind in front of the media. Stupid South Americans :mad:

Well, here we are... still think SPAIN is the black horse this round. We shall see...

9. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    France is a good team but I hope they don't win the WC again this time cos I feel it'd be too un-eventful.

Portugal should have won but look at how they played in the first half. Americans had the guts and the spirits to beat the portuguese. Totally justified

:)

10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Heh heh, still awfully happy about the France 0 Uruguay 0 result :) Exactly what I wanted! :)

Sorry for coming into this thread so late; have been away at Maths Olympiad camp for the past few days. I have to say it rocked; I've played so much bridge I think it's probably added up to at least 10 hours altogether.

BTW, I'm supporting Denmark, always have been a Denmark fan since years ago :) I think they have a fair chance to win France; France has been playing quite terribly so far. C'est dommage, les Bleus!

You all can check out this thread in the Europe forum, but I think if you want to post anything keep it quite politically correct and all because the folks there are quite nice and don't really like to take things too hard.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Yup, I agree that the Irish goal at the 92th minute was so good. It was as though they had won! the game.

ENGLAND! ENGLAND! ENGLAND! Oh man, did you see how ENGLAND defended Beckham's penalty kick like nothing else mattered? ;)

ENGLAND
    !

12. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    Beckham's THE MAN!

13. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Brazil trounced Chinese 4-0..no real big surprise but the goals were good :D

The defeat of Italy was abit of a shock. Favourites like Argentina and Italy losing one game in two? Hmm... ;)

14. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    Wah kao... sooo many people watching WORLD CUP at Hereen today...

15. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I think the Italy 1 Croatia 2 result was quite "unrealistic" as compared to the way the game was played; I would have thought that Italy deserved to at least draw the game. The goal in the 55th minute (the first offside one) wasn't really offside; I think it was a waste that Vieri didn't get it, and worse still, he got a yellow card for protesting! I must say that Croatia's second goal was a real surprise; it sure didn't look like it was going on at all, while the Italian shot taken by Totti looked like it had all the marks of a prospective goal, and what do you know? It hit off the goalpost and bounced off at such a weird angle I almost thought it was going in!

In Incheon right now, just fell asleep watching the most boring game between Turkey and Costa Rica on TV. Thank goodness I didn't want tickets to see it anyway...

16. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Yeah that's right, being an Italian fan I definitely hope they can win. But losing now is at least better den at the knockout rounds. The Italians have been over confident. Nevertheless, this has served a severe warning to them. Anyway the Italian Team is rarely conceded 2 goals, so it's time to realise their style of playing still requires beefing up. Traditionally, they are slow starters, so cheer up.
    Yes Japan(another team I support) has won!!! Great news for Asia football.

17. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha maybe Japan will meet Korea in the finals :D

18. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    Japan VS Korea... Whoa...

PRIDE OF ASIA!

19. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I'll eat my best hat if that happens! (Decides it's redundant to even look for a hat to buy ;) [face_mischief] )

20. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Yeah, that probably won't happen, and I wouldn't really like that either. The two hosts facing each other in final? Eew

The first penalty save for this WC took place when USA drew Korea 1-1 today (10th June)... :)

21. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I think that it was a pathetic penalty kick... :( and considering that Brad Friedel was once Liverpool goalkeeper, I could expect him to be able to save it...

22. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Portugal 4 Poland 0! There! That looks much more proper than the earlier Portugal 2 USA 3 result! :)

23. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Still, u can't say USA didn't deserved to win against Portugal.

24. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    yeah, u r right. Portugal shld be brought down to earth at that match. Think too highly of themselves. A semi final spot for them.

25. HumsupFett

Dec 7, 2000
    Now, KOREA will be playing PORTUGAL in their final group match. Unlikely a win they will and I'm betting my pants that PORTUGAL will get a 2nd win. That'll make them 6pts, KOREA 4pts.
    USA will be playing POLAND whom even are ready to pack their bags and go home - they are not ready to go back without even a SINGLE goal. So, the Yankees will have to face the most determined Polish side yet in their final game. But I will think it will be a draw. That Makes USA 5pts which means 2nd place which means 2nd round :eek: The KOREANs chance will be small... but I hope they pulls through.

DAMN the Japanese dogs... they managed to beat Russia... but hope they falter the next match. Sorry, I have nahnah, zilt support for the Japs. Not bcos of WWII, its bcos of my ex-company's Japanese staff practically thinks they are "superior" and looks down on us local guys. But they are nothing but just worthless piece of snobbish **** :mad: ... oops, out of topic... suppose to talk WC hehe ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.