main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG WORLD CUP 2002 - THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by bobafett81, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, Ronaldo was brought off with about 10+ mins to go, and they were down to 10 men so didn't attack much.

Although I'd be having exams, I'm still gonna watch hehe ;)

2. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    My Phy paper end at 10 tml, I will be home asap to finish my revision on Maths C. Shld be able to complete by 7.20pm to watch the HISTORIC match!!!!! Is Asia the only 3rd continent to enter the semis? Shld be right. Africa best is quarterfinal in 1990 n 2002. How about central america? USA best showing so far is this world cup. Hmm...Anyone confirm with me that Asia is the 3rd continent to qualify for semi?

3. BabyPadme

BabyPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2002
    6:30 am
    i will be out of town for the finals. :( your probably wondering why im sad. well, they have a tv, and no, you dont need cable to view the game, but since i will be in california, the game will be on two hours earlier then here. this means i cant watch it cause i will have to go to bed early, and get up early, so i wont have time. :(

4. BabyPadme

Apr 28, 2002
  5. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    FIFA All-Star Team shortlist:
    Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn (Germany), Marcos (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Rustu Recber (Turkey), Lee-Woon-jae (South Korea)

Defenders: Cafu (Brazil), Roberto Carlos (Brazil), Sol Campbell (England), Hong Myung-bo (South Korea), Alpay Ozalan (Turkey), Fernando Hierro (Spain), Johan Mjallby (Sweden)

Midfielders: David Beckham (England), Junichi Inamoto (Japan), Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan), Pape Malick Diop (Senegal), Claudio Reyna (U.S.), Michael Ballack (Germany), Yoo Sang-chul (South Korea), Marc Wilmots (Belgium).

Forwards: Rivaldo (Brazil), Ronaldo (Brazil), Ronaldinho (Brazil), El Hadji Diouf (Senegal), Ahn Jung-hwan (South Korea), Landon Donovan (U.S.), Raul (Spain), Hasan Sas (Turkey), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Christian Vieri (Italy), Henrik Larsson (Sweden), Michael Owen (England), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Denmark).

Y carlos, beckham, Hierro, nakata are in?
    Hierro is a cheater also can qualify. If he didn't pull Quinn Jersey that night, he is certainly one of the best defender.
    I myself a supporter of beckham, but he don't deserve to be in. an atrocious outing due to his injury.
    Where's Ferdinand?

Those I think will stand a good chance are
    Claudio Reyna, Marc Wilmots, Landon Donovan, Hasan Sas.

6. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Yeah I agree that list is not "the best that is available". I certainly would choose several other individuals to be in. And how come so many forwards? :D

7. bobafett81

bobafett81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    Still Nil Nil... Hmmm.....

8. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Half Time: Both teams look good so far, with one good save by Kahn (Germany GK). But IMO, Germany looks more dangerous.. Klose is like 2 metres tall! Korea has speed though, so they have a good chance of scoring too.

Well, what are u sitting here for? Go watch it! :D

9. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Heh I was right, Germany did beat the Koreans, but still not a bad performance by the Koreans.

Full time: 1-0 to Germany

It's sad that Ballack will miss the final, and that may cost the germans the championship.

10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    //feels like nominating Stig Tofting of Denmark for the FIFA All-Star team if only I could :(

I don't think Klose was very impressive, and I'm pretty much sure that he's lost the golden boot. He hasn't scored since the Group stage... :(

I don't think Ballack is the real important man, I think that Oliver Neuville is far more important and does fantastic work. I don't see what Neuville got his yellow card for (supposedly diving), because I'm of the opinion he was running so quickly that when the keeper so totally pulled the stops on him he tripped because he lost his balance. Thank goodness he doesn't miss the next match unlike Ballack.

Go Turkey! (Feels like writing a petition to make Turkey a purely Asian country ;) )

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    What's the use of forcing them??? They don't even wanna be know as half european half asian. Another thing, if Turkey was to be part of Asia ages ago, would they come so far today? No! Anyway, It would be nice to see Turkey vs Korea. Let the koreans show Turkey what's Asia football is all about.

12. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Neuville? Nah he's not that skillful to me. And besides he did dive in the penalty box, which got him his yellow card. The GK didn't touch him at all... :)

13. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Yeah I agree with jazz, the only reason I think he's in the squad is his speed. Full stop.

14. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    So.. half time between Brazil and Turkey and still 0-0. Brazil looks dangerous as usual, but Turkey also has a chance. Looks like have to wait and see..

Hope it doesn't go into penalties again ;)

15. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    So I guess it really is Brazil vs. Germany after all - haha! ;)

16. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    WHo will win who will claim Second, that i am not sure. BUT i do feel that Turkey will get third against Korea. UnLess they anyhow play like Holland did in France after losing against Brazil.

17. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    But the 3rd/4th placing will be played in Korea again, which sorta gives the koreans the advantage..

18. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    What? :eek: If Korea really gotten that 3rd place, it's will be the first time an Asian Country reach so high a ranking in Soccer, right? :D

19. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Yup that's right, it waill do the nation and asia proud. I would definitely support Korea against Turkey.
    Rumor==> When Korea won Spain, some people were treated to a 1/2 price meal at Korean Retaurants here in Singapore.

20. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    So when is Korea playing against Turkey again?!?? ?[face_plain]
    Maybe if Korea wins the match, we should try going to a Korean restaurant after the match, just to see if they will offer any discounts again - haha! :p

21. BabyPadme

Apr 28, 2002
    1 = Germany
    2 = Brazil
    3 = Korea

atleast i hope :)

22. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    The 3rd/4th placing match is on 29th, Sat.

tmingyang: See the wink ;) beside the "petition" part? It's about the same as if I said that I would write a petition for Rivaldo to quit football and join Hollywood [face_mischief] :D

Jazz: The replay that I saw showed that the Korean 'keeper did touch Neuville...maybe I wasn't looking as carefully as I thought...but it's not just his speed, it's also his passes that make him good.

23. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, I can agree that Neuville's strength is his speed, and Germany do need that. For certain strategies he'd be good. :)

I don't really have any favourites for the final, just hope the better team wins fairly and deservingly. I suspect Brazil will win though.. ;)

24. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    The 3rd/4th placing will be more interesting :). Wonder if either team will play like Holland in 98.

25. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    It's a pity we don't have someone like Davor Suker this time to snatch the Golden Boot award away from either Ronaldo or Klose (I strongly suspect that Ronaldo will get it)...

jazz, so you don't think Brazil are deserving? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.