World Cup 2006 - and it's called football, not soccer!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Nwalme Jade, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda Jedi Master

star 7
    Holland will win :p

I stand by my earlier predictions. The reason Brazil will be out in the groups is Australia. They will quite literally knock them out :p
  2. gaiatha Jedi Knight

star 5
    Ausie, Ausie, Ausie

:p
  3. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    With so many Premiership-based players, the Aussie team is like having a second England team ;)

Good win for Germany, they needed that. The first and fourth goals were great, but I can't help but to think the new ball played a huge part with them.
    The first shock for me was Ecuador beating Poland. Poland are a good team and I had them to win the group, so this throws my predictions out the window 8-}
    I think Ecuador could surprise some, but saying that they did qualify very well so maybe it's not much of a surprise.
    And I still think Poland could beat Germany, so this group may prove very interesting.

Portugal are worth a shout too, but I also think the Dutch have a moderate chance.
  4. gaiatha Jedi Knight

star 5
    I think with a defense line like yesterday nearly every team could beat the Germans :p
    But the tactic to get goals but to score more worked pretty well in the Confederations cup --> third place
    But the mission is the final so they'll have to work on the defense line.

And now with the firt lost game on polish side they will have to be a lot better than yesterday on tuesday.

But I will say it again and again: three points and two dreamgoals. Everything I needed. ;)
  5. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    :confused: The England Vs Paraguay match was a good one for me in that England won it-but I think they'll need to bring moer than that to the next games. One goal and a rather detached kinda performance in the 2nd half was a bit nerve racking (although I knew the result before I saw a late telecast by our local channel :p )

Sadly we didn't see the Sweden Vs Trinidad and Tobago match-major upset for Sweden there, so I heard. But if T&T could have drawn with Sweden I think England has got to be on their toes.

Is Rooney going to be rested till the next round? I wonder what's going to happen in the next England matches in Group B.

*waves* Matt, great to see you here! :D

Hmm, Poland losing to Equador was a bit a of a surprise to me too. Matt, you feel Poland will come up triumphant in their next match? Oh and Czech Republic-they are ranked 2nd in the world at the moment right? (It was in our papers a few days back) should be interesting too.
  6. gaiatha Jedi Knight

star 5
    I don't want to be petty here but
    this is the best english team in 40 years?!

Sorry, but the game was poor. Nice goal in the third minute, after that the offensive had big problems with the defense line of Paraguay. In the end three points. And William was there :D
    Looks like nearly all the teams need yome time to warm up in the tournament.

Haven't seen the other two games last night because I went out with friends to the only place in Germany that didn't have a TV running :p

The Czechs are one of my favourites for the world cup. I'm pretty sure if they have a good start against the USA they will get far in the tournament. [face_good_luck]
  7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    gaiatha, I can only hope they were warming up or taking it easy yesterday in their match against Paraguay. [face_worried] They definitely need more than that to keep moving into the next round.

Oh and thanks for that. :) I'll make it a point to check out the Czech Republic's matches. :D

8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6

What an intelligent poster that guy is. [face_thinking]
  9. Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA

star 7
    The Czechs are indeed ranked as the 2nd team in the world, and they are very good, but I wouldn't put too much faith in the FIFA rankings if I were you. They also state that France is ahead of Argentina, and on the pitch anybody can see it's not the case :p

Brazil to make their entrance today, should be interesting.
  10. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    Personally I'm quite impressed by Croatia after this evening's game. I think they deserved a draw against Brazil.

After the games so far I think group B seems to be the weakest group, I don't see any of those team really getting even to the quarter final.
  11. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    Hi Pash, nice to see you here :D

Just seen the Spanish-Ukraine game and Spain have given the best performance of the whole tournament so far. A great team effort and the fourth goal was the best scored yet. Time to take the Spainards seriously me thinks ;)

England had a very poor second half, but a very good first half. Looks like we need Rooney and he may make an appearance in our next game tomorrow. He looks more then ready in training but Man United may have something to say about that. The heat badly affected us but that's a lame excuse, and the ref was terrible but we can play much, much better then that.

Looking forward to tonight's BIG game between Poland and Germany. The Poles are very tough and will really be fired up after their poor showing against Equador. I'm not sure how this one will go....

FIFA rankings are pants. I think The US are number 4 in that which is just plain wrong :p
  12. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I think the Germany-Poland game has a chance of getting exciting. I think after this game it will be possible to predict how far Germany will go.
  13. gaiatha Jedi Knight

star 5
    I checked the FiFa ranking a few secs ago and Germany is even only on place 19... Dear dear.
    But USA on five shows how much you can rely on these rankings. :p

I don't want to hear or read anything like "the German team is weak" again after todays game against Poland.
    The polish keeper was a wall, maybe played the game of his life. So many chances for the Germans and I think we are defenitly not lucky to have scored finally but it was a well deserved and hardly worked for win!
    (proud German fan writing here :p)

And Neuville scored!! He's a player from my fav football team Borussia M├â┬Ânchengladbach!! (not that anyone but me cares :p)
  14. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    It was a good game and Germany deserverd to win but I still think they are weak :p
    The Poles are missing their best striker and the team are not the same team I saw during qualifing. They always played high-tempo, non-stop attacking football but at this world cup they have been really poor. The first half Germany were on top and came very close to scoring, but I think Poland were the better team during the second half until they got a player sent-off, then it was only a matter of time before Germany scored. Most teams will not fear Germany because of their bad defense but up front they can pose a threat to any team, so they need luck but they could get to the quater-finals.

After today though, Spain are here to win it and I'll be keeping a keener eye on them.
  15. ChimealHeltei Jedi Knight

star 5
    The defense wasn't weak in this game, really not. There were just some few chances to score for the Poles. And most time the defense did their job well.

AND: A good team can't rely on just one good striker...

PLUS: The speed in this game was much higher than in that "lame" England game. :p ;) Man, how boring... :p
  16. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I also think that Germany played very well in the game, and I'm glad that they finally scored in the end. Poland was saved by their keeper, nothing else.
  17. Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA

star 7
    Well yeah, but a keeper is part of the team. If a keeper saves everything, that's his job and you can't really say "oh, the other team was unlucky" :p

If anything I think the Poles were unlucky - to defend like that with ten men, only to be beaten in the dying minutes... that was very cruel.

All and all, not impressed by Germany. But weak or not, they always manage to go far in tournaments.
  18. ChimealHeltei Jedi Knight

star 5
    But a player who's sent of after two fouls is part of a team too. So it's nothing that the German were lucky that there were jst ten men at the end to play against. If a player thinks he has to foul again after already getting booked, that's part of a bad game played by his team too.

You don't have to be impressed by the German play, but please don't blackguard it. It's even better than what other teams who are said to be favorites showed so far.

EDIT: Fortunately it's not that hot anymore today, so it will be easier for the English players and they can't blame the weather this time. :p
  19. Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA

star 7
    I don't think I 'blackguarded' Germany. We have the right to support/be impressed by whoever we want, no? True, they have been less awful than France or Brazil, and I don't mean to be insulting, but forgive me for being more excited by the kind of game played by the Czechs or the Spaniards :p

And England should start blaming their own players for a change. I've only read the minute-by-minute report, but how many chances have they missed?? :eek:
  20. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'm going to start blaming the new ball. Frank Lampard clearly hasn't adjusted to it yet :p ;)
    We did miss loads of chances, but it was good to see England play both halfs of the match this time and of cause Rooney and Lennon did very well (wow!! Sven made two positive substitutes :eek: ).

Equador had a good game today and I think either they or Germany could win group A.

Well done Sweden too. Very close call and that should see you through to the second round. I'm not sure if I want England to win the group or not to be honest. The final round of games will be very interesting ;)
  21. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love it how Australia are top of their group table. First and last time that'll happen in this tournament. :p
  22. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    Well you never know, they could beat Brazil ;)

Argentina have just given a superb performance winning 6-0. They pratically have one hand on the cup and their squad is just full of talent and match winners. They will take some beating and their second goal has claimed my 'goal of the tournament' so far.
  23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Matt! *waves* :D But ofcourse, I have got to check on footy news afterall! ;)

I checked the FiFa ranking a few secs ago and Germany is even only on place 19... Dear dear.
    Actually I'm begining to see everyone's point about the FIFA rankings being more than a bit off. :p

Personally I'm quite impressed by Croatia after this evening's game. I think they deserved a draw against Brazil.
    Definitely. :D What annoyed me about the Brazil match was that the refereeing seemed totally unfair and the Brazil team was unbelievabley rough! :( I was very happy to see Croatia give them a tough time. :) Maybe I am too soft but is the game supposed to be that rough? :(

Matt, Spain's performance was quite spectacular, hopefully they can repeat it in their other games too. :)

Since I'm posting after some of the games mentioned above, let me SCREAM coz both England and Germany have made it to the next round! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] The England goals by Crouch and Gerard were great! Germany had some good chances in their match-that Klose/Ballac effort was soooo close! [face_hypnotized]

I'm going to start blaming the new ball. Frank Lampard clearly hasn't adjusted to it yet
    LOL, I was wondering coz Lampard was a hit at the Euro games. [face_thinking] Is the new ball really so light that it goes much higher than usual with a hard kick? :confused:

Oh and what about Sven's Goran Erikson's comment about Aussie beating Brazil in their next game? ;) Hmm, that should be an interesting match. Oh and there's England Vs Sweden and Germany Vs Ecuador to look forward to. The latter will be quiet a thrill I'm sure! :D

24. Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA

star 7
    What a GAME from Argentina. Oh yeah, there will be talk of "blah-de-blah peaking too soon, blah-de-blah Serbia & Montenegro not that strong anyway", but I'd be totally happy with them lifting the Cup in July. They'd make beautiful champions.

It's sad to see the Ivory Coast going out though. Being drawn with Holland and Argentina was a tough way to start a World Cup, and they've been unlucky with some decisions. And now they have to go home while teams which are less good but play in weak groups will go on. Cruel.
  25. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    **waves back to Pash** I guess you're having penty of late nights then, Pash? ;)

Lastnight's Italy-USA game was a gooden. The US played really well for the first 20 mins, then it exploaded with Italy scoring twice (one for them, the other a freakish own goal). And then the sendings off. I hope Rossi gets a 3 match ban for that elbow, and the US players were a little unfortunate but you can see why they had to go.

The Czech-Ghana game was a real shock result again :eek: It's left the group very open which is always good for the final round of games.

Pash, I do think the new ball takes some getting used to. Whenever you see slow motion shots, it moves all over the place and the sound it makes shows it's very light and flimsy. Hopefully Lampard will work it out by the end of the tournament :p

I also wouldn't begrudge the Argies winning the cup if they continue to play like that. It's always nice to have the best team win I think.

Can't wait for the Brazil-Aussie game this afternoon :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.